Ultra Runners

Viaduct Trail Ultra (Read 637 times)

Carl A

Results from this year's race are posted here:

http://sites.google.com/site/viaducttrailultramarathon/home/results/2011

I didn't exactly reach my mileage goal, but I got further than ever before and I feel good about how our race went for the other runners.

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Congrats. I know Jameelah Abdul-Rahim Mujaahid.She was disappointed they had her stop with 3 hours to go.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Carl, 

I have no idea how you go from a couple (and by that I mean like 2) long runs in the 30 to 40 mile distance over the last 8 months to 137 miles.  How are you still walking?!

Seriously, congrats on your PR!

Live the Adventure. Enjoy the Journey. Be Kind. Have Faith!

Carl A

Congrats. I know Jameelah Abdul-Rahim Mujaahid.She was disappointed they had her stop with 3 hours to go.

Thanks, Clay, for letting me know. I totally get her reasons for wanting to continue, but I there are reasons behind my co-RD's decision.

The 25-mile-per-lap course is pretty much in the middle of nowhere. Unless we want to be sitting around waiting for one person all day on Sunday, we have found that we need to have a published final-lap cutoff that's actually 7.5 hours before the course officially closes. Any runners facing this cutoff are already at 8+ hours per lap.

Here's the link to the published cutoff info: http://sites.google.com/site/viaducttrailultramarathon/home/cutoff-times-pacers-awards

Carl A

Carl, 

I have no idea how you go from a couple (and by that I mean like 2) long runs in the 30 to 40 mile distance over the last 8 months to 137 miles.  How are you still walking?!

Thanks - I was really secretly trying to get the July miles in all at one go. Now, though, it looks like I have some catching up to do. Again.  Big grin

I had the pleasure of running with her. If you see her tell her Pam says hi and hope she's recovering well!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Carl, 

He's CRAZYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY 

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

You'll ruin your knees!

Thanks, Clay, for letting me know. I totally get her reasons for wanting to continue, but I there are reasons behind my co-RD's decision.

The 25-mile-per-lap course is pretty much in the middle of nowhere. Unless we want to be sitting around waiting for one person all day on Sunday, we have found that we need to have a published final-lap cutoff that's actually 7.5 hours before the course officially closes. Any runners facing this cutoff are already at 8+ hours per lap.

Here's the link to the published cutoff info: http://sites.google.com/site/viaducttrailultramarathon/home/cutoff-times-pacers-awards

This caught my eye.  Kudos to Carl for 1) taking on the responsibility of putting on an event 2) going to the trouble of enlisting volunteers 3) standing by the published rules of the race and those volunteers and 4) all the other crap an RD puts up with.  I certainly hope the runner who was dissapointed didn't cause a stir with the co-RD or other volunteers... I don't know the circumstances, but I do know the potential for a runner to insist they are capable of continuing when they are past a cutt-off and essentially suggesting the tireless volunteers should stay longer.  I've seen it play out a number of ways, but it can really kill a volunteer's spirit when a runner challenges the published race rules. 

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

Congrats.  How was the weather - would think it hot hot hot in July.  

BTW Wouldn't want to run in front of the guy on the initial results page

• Black Canyon 100k
                    • RRR
                    • Zane Grey 100k
                    • High Lonesome 100
                    • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
                    • The Bear 100
                    • Javelina Jundred (?)
                    runnerclay

Consistently Slow

I did not get the details of the cut off from her. I did do the math. According to her she was running 9:30 paces. 9:30 x 24= 3:48. She was behind pace and you were more than justified to stop her. Her pace would have needed to be 7:30.

PS: I did not know you were a co- RD. I would not have even mentioned her being stopped. Putting on races is hard enough. Hosting ultras is insanely difficult. Thanks for all you do!

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Carl A

There are no hard feelings at all. I got to run something like 30 miles with her, and it was a privilege to have shared the trail with such a talented, determined runner.

The weather was typical July-in-rural-PA: sun, heat, thunderstorms, flies, chilly nights. Fun stuff.

locksandsocks

I am so glad Carl knew I had no hard feelings. I run Ultras almost every other weekend and there is no way to run them unless you have help from the many volunteers who come out. That race was fun and the RD and Carl knew I was having a great time in spite of the bears I kept seeing. I ran away from a bear because I was all alone on the trail. I will be back next year to run again and there is no way possible that I would ever give any RD slack about making a decision. They are both great taking time away from their families to put on a free race for us relly do you think any of the runners need complain about anything. We got some aid stolen and we still did not complain. I smiled they entire race and talked to the many volunteers who helped me run that far. 172 miles from a woman who drove 15 hrs to get there and 15 hours after the race to only go back to teach a spin class. I am grateful to Carl for running with me. his wife for feeding me graham crackers for Pam running in the dark with me,for Don running in the dark with me. Again no complaints from this one. Love ya guys Jameelah

locksandsocks

I am so glad Carl knew I had no hard feelings. I run Ultras almost every other weekend and there is no way to run them unless you have help from the many volunteers who come out. That race was fun and the RD and Carl knew I was having a great time in spite of the bears I kept seeing. I ran away from a bear because I was all alone on the trail. I will be back next year to run again and there is no way possible that I would ever give any RD slack about making a decision. They are both great taking time away from their families to put on a free race for us relly do you think any of the runners need complain about anything. We got some aid stolen and we still did not complain. I smiled they entire race and talked to the many volunteers who helped me run that far. 172 miles from a woman who drove 15 hrs to get there and 15 hours after the race to only go back to teach a spin class. I am grateful to Carl for running with me. his wife for feeding me graham crackers for Pam running in the dark with me,for Don running in the dark with me. Again no complaints from this one. Love ya guys Jameelah