Ultra Runners

ATY (Read 190 times)

Kalsarikännit

Yiannis Kouros just announced that he will be running in the US for the first time in 8 years, at Across The Years in the six day with the purpose of breaking the six day world record of 644 miles. Joe Fejes and Wiliam Sichel are also racing the six day. I have heard talk that Fejes' goal is also to break the record, but that is all rumor (he floats around here, maybe he wants to chip in...). This should be amazing.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Kalsarikännit

Also, is anyone here attending?

On On

Ultra Running Magazine has Kouros at 658 miles.

Does anyone know if the course would be classified as Outdoor or Road?

Uh oh... now what?

Seems like it would be outdoors.  ATY is not a track as in a standard 400m configuration.  Usual "I am not an official anything" disclaimer.

6 days Road
          821,862 DIPALI-CUNNINGHAM Cath(AUS) 27.08.58 R USA NEW YORK 29/04 5/05.2001
          1.028,370 KOUROS Yiannis (GRE) 13.02.56 R USA NEW YORK 21/26.05.1988  *****638.9995 miles*****

6 days Track
          883,631 BARWICK Sandra (NZL) 27.02.49 T NZL CAMPBELLTOWN 18/24.11.1990h
          1038.851 KOUROS Yiannis (GRE) 13.02.56 T AUS COLAC 20-26/11/2005  *****645.5121 miles*****

Kalsarikännit

Ok, I'm still an idiot. I got my number from following a link where I read about the story.  It led me to facebook, where someone posted that number. 1. I should have looked up the number myself.  2.  Yes, I actually looked at facebook. I now feel weird and unclean.

Uh oh... now what?

I doubt if any of one of us is more, or less, of an idiot than any other?

My cut and paste [downloaded *.pdf file], plus a bit of editing, is from the IAU Web site.  The issue of a world record for something that is inconsistent within the various governing bodies is simply an open-ended argument.  The 72-hour and 6-day (144-hour) are sometimes listed, sometimes not.  Some Web sites refer to "World Best", others to "World Record".

It is surprising to see this--has it gone far enough to call it a resurgence--interest being generated.

From a dark and cold [22º] prairie under a beautiful almost-winter sky.

2.  Yes, I actually looked at facebook. I now feel weird and unclean.

You're doomed now. It's only a matter of time until you're posting pics of your dinner and funny animals.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

bhearn

Yeah, I saw that (on FACEBOOK). I would love to be there.

But I can't run an ultra by that point, I'm afraid, still slowly building mileage back. And if I were to do a 24-hour (which I am eager to) then, logically it would be the SF one-day, in my back yard.

bhearn

You're doomed now. It's only a matter of time until you're posting pics of your dinner and funny animals.

Oh, her pictures are there, whether she's posting them or not.

Better to bite the bullet, and take some control.

Kalsarikännit

Jon Olsen will be attempting his first 48 hour at ATY (starting the 28th).

Imminent Catastrophe

In for the 48, Dec 29/30 (due to the days I got off work). My dream is to beat Yiannis.

For one lap.

Maybe.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

bhearn

ATY is underway. Some seriously aggressive laps being thrown down out there by the 6-dayers.

WG, are you running the 48??

Nashville Dog Runner

Go Yiannis!  He is a fellow Greek.

www.nashvilledogrunner.com

bhearn

Gary Krugger just hit 40 miles, at 6:07 in, leading the 24-hour.

The scary thing? Five guys running the 6-day (led by Kouros) are ahead of him.

Kalsarikännit

ATY is underway. Some seriously aggressive laps being thrown down out there by the 6-dayers.

WG, are you running the 48??

Yes. I am in Phoenix. My race starts on the 30th. I am looking forward to seeing Perfesser. I stopped by today. Everyone looked tough. It was a beautiful thing.  Joe Fejes had a big smile going. I saw lots of familiar faces. I'm pretty excited.