Ultra Runners

Grand Union Canal Race (Read 371 times)

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

I am in the UK for work next week.  London.  I need to get out for a 4-5 hour run in the morning Friday.

Is there anything I can do that starts in London (near Charing Cross) and somehow get out and about for such a period of time?  Hard for me to tell on a map what is runnable and what is a highway.

Thanks!

• Black Canyon 100k
    • RRR
    • Zane Grey 100k
    • High Lonesome 100
    • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
    • The Bear 100
    • Javelina Jundred (?)

The GUCR itself should be runnable both in to and out of London.  I don't have a proper map of the area to hand, but will see if I can get hold of one.  This walking website has details of some of the paths though and links to google maps of it http://www.britishwalks.org/walks/Named/GrandUnionCanalWalk.php  Basically you should be able to do quite a lot on towpaths.  There are also a number of parks to run around and to link up, and running along the Embankment, but the towpath option might work best as a proper long run.  Purdey, Nickp and Roth Runner are all regular runners in the London area (Purdey did the county to capital this year and that came in to London on the GUCR) so if they spot this post they may be able to offer real advice.  If you can get hold of an ordance survey map of London that will show what is path and what is highway.  I'll point some of the others at this thread...(MTA:done).

And wish I could make it to London this week to meet another RA-er.  It's only an hour away but work is stupid.

"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be my friend."

DoppleBock

A few hints on crewing and pacing WG

1)  He dainty feet seem prone to blisters - Have a Needle and Sterilizing kit ready.

2)  She likes it when you give her a slap on her bottom ~ Make sure to do this at least twice per hour

3)  When she wants Pepto - Don't give a cup, she will chug it like a beer

I hope all of you (runners/crew/pacers) have a fun race!

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

I am in the UK for work next week.  London.  I need to get out for a 4-5 hour run in the morning Friday.

Is there anything I can do that starts in London (near Charing Cross) and somehow get out and about for such a period of time?  Hard for me to tell on a map what is runnable and what is a highway.

Thanks!

London is a pretty runnable city; it's quite pedestrian friendly and there are relatively few roads which don't have pavements / sidewalks.  As Hoppity mentioned, I've done quite a bit of running in London so could offer some ideas about a route for a training run.  What are you looking for? I would recommend an easy (flat, hard to get lost) scenic route around some of the central London parks, though the loop is only about 7 miles, so if you're running for 4-5 hours then it would mean completing several loops.  Alternatively I could suggest a 16-17 mile loop (hillier, more complicated directions) which goes through some central touristy spots, along the river a bit, up into North London, through Hampstead and Highgate and back into central London via the City (financial centre). You'd probably want to take a map / some written directions for that one, which I'd be happy to provide.  

There are (obviously) lots and lots of potential routes and places to run through in London, so it may well be that Google can give you better ideas than I can.  Shout if you're interested in either of the above and I'll send through some directions.  Both are easy from Charing Cross.

Right now in London it is cold, but brilliant blue skies - perfect for a nice long run, so hopefully it'll stay that way.  Enjoy your trip.

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

London is a pretty runnable city; it's quite pedestrian friendly and there are relatively few roads which don't have pavements / sidewalks.  As Hoppity mentioned, I've done quite a bit of running in London so could offer some ideas about a route for a training run.  What are you looking for? I would recommend an easy (flat, hard to get lost) scenic route around some of the central London parks, though the loop is only about 7 miles, so if you're running for 4-5 hours then it would mean completing several loops.  Alternatively I could suggest a 16-17 mile loop (hillier, more complicated directions) which goes through some central touristy spots, along the river a bit, up into North London, through Hampstead and Highgate and back into central London via the City (financial centre). You'd probably want to take a map / some written directions for that one, which I'd be happy to provide.  

There are (obviously) lots and lots of potential routes and places to run through in London, so it may well be that Google can give you better ideas than I can.  Shout if you're interested in either of the above and I'll send through some directions.  Both are easy from Charing Cross.

Right now in London it is cold, but brilliant blue skies - perfect for a nice long run, so hopefully it'll stay that way.  Enjoy your trip.

I would love the longer loop.  If you have done this before, maybe a GPX file and I could load into my watch?  Otherwise, directions would be great and I might be able to carry map + put some waypoints into the watch.  Very much appreciated.

• Black Canyon 100k
            • RRR
            • Zane Grey 100k
            • High Lonesome 100
            • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
            • The Bear 100
            • Javelina Jundred (?)

This loop is actually two of my old commuting routes stuck together (both go from point A to point B, so putting them together makes a circuit), and hence I've never actually run it as a complete loop. However, I've manually input it into RA as a map, which I think you should be able to access here:

http://www.runningahead.com/maps/8edb2e6dff3546e2a77ca4141e28d195?unit=mi

I think you should be able to use that link to generate a .gpx file to upload to your watch.  If that doesn't work or isn't as helpful as having written directions, I'd be more than happy to type some out for you.  To give you some idea, the route should take you through / past:

- The Mall (where the London marathon finishes, and traditional gathering place for e.g. royal wedding celebrations etc.)

- Buckingham Palace

- Three of the Royal parks (St James's Park, Green Park, Hyde Park).  You could easily add a loop of Hyde Park for an extra 3 miles.

- Marble Arch / Speaker's Corner (not that exciting, but probably warrants a mention if you're into seeing the tourist sights)

- Lord's cricket ground (which I'm guessing you couldn't care less about, but it's the spiritual home of the game of cricket - you'll need to take a 100 yard detour to actually see it)

- Abbey Road studios and the cross-walk from the album cover

- Hampstead Heath (big country park within London - you could deviate from the route to go through it.  It's hilly.)

- Quaint old 'villages' of Hampstead and Highgate.  Completely subsumed into London, but retain that olde worlde feel.  I believe Highgate is the highest point in London, so you'll have maxed out the possible elevation change. (No need to thank me Smile)

- I've added an optional dog-leg at mile 9 to give you an amazing view over London from Archway Bridge.

- You'll go a long way down Holloway Road, which is more of a real, workaday London thoroughfare.  No tourists here!

- You'll pass within about 100 yards of the Emirates football (soccer) stadium. Again, you probably couldn't care less.

- The City - London's financial district.  Skyscrapers and suits.

- St Paul's

- The Millenium (foot)bridge, good views down the Thames to Tower Bridge

- The South bank of the Thames, including the Tate Modern gallery - massive, used to be a power station.

- Hungerford Bridge, from which you'll have a good view of the London Eye and the Houses of Parliament.

...and which takes you back to Charing Cross. If you want to tag on more miles, I'd recommend heading back to Hyde Park / Kensington Gardens for a few laps of the paths there.

[You may be a regular and hardened traveller, but if not I'll just add that I've run all of this route dozens and dozens of times and never had any safety issues; these are all perfectly sensible areas to be running around.  Some of the central areas (start and finish of the run) may be a bit clogged with people - particularly during the morning rush - but the rest of the route should be fine.  London drivers are fairly unforgiving, so obey traffic signals and remember that you need to look right, not left.  Apologies if this is totally unnecessary and patronising.]

I hope the weather forecast for Friday morning (sunny, 4C) holds - should be a great morning for a run.  Have fun.

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

Awesome - thank you.  Will check it out tomorrow and report back.

• Black Canyon 100k
                • RRR
                • Zane Grey 100k
                • High Lonesome 100
                • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
                • The Bear 100
                • Javelina Jundred (?)

The King of Beasts

Wow nickp, Very Nice !

makes me want to book a flight

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”

Wow nickp, Very Nice !

Makes me want to hop on the train...

"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be my friend."

L Train

Hey now.

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

Good run - I am sure I ran by things and didn't know I was missing them.  A few areas up North that I was tempted to follow a trail into the woods (commons?) but elected not to.  Only place I got off was just north of Hyde park - was a street off in what appeared to be a street of middle-eastern shops but soon hopped over and got this pic.  Thanks again!

• Black Canyon 100k
                        • RRR
                        • Zane Grey 100k
                        • High Lonesome 100
                        • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
                        • The Bear 100
                        • Javelina Jundred (?)

Ha, great pic!  Glad you enjoyed the run.

Purdey

Self anointed title

I'm sure I can find a race to make it worth your while.

The King of Beasts

I'm sure I can find a race to make it worth your while.

my goal is to make it over in 2014.

I am sure I will end up running a marathon or ultra while there.

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”

Purdey

Self anointed title

Excellent