Ultra Runners

In race fueling (Read 454 times)

DoppleBock

I have long used Endurox R4 for my in-race fueling - This has worked great and horribly at different times.  It is a recovery drink and has way too much magnessium to take once per hour (24 hour race) and not risk the trots.

I can slam anything, but I really like the taste of Endurox - THoughts based on taste

My least favorite that I have tried are Hammer products

not too far behind:  Succeed Amino and Clip II

I am even considering trying this ~ Meb has shamelessly promoted

http://www.letsrun.com/2012/meb-ucan-0118.php

My goal is to slam one liquid bottle of 200-300 calories per hour ~ Endurox get this dome nicely - 2 scoops = 270 calories - Many of the above are 100-130 calories per packet ~ so I guess I would do 2 packets

My other concern with Endurox is it is too simple of a sugar and can cause insulin spikes

What do you like and why?

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

The guys I run with highly recommend orginal formula BOOST http://www.boost.com/nutritional-drinks/boost-original 

One nice single serve bottle has about calories you're looking for and it's easy to slam.

I'm ok with the taste and plan on using it this weekend,  I'll let you know how that goes.

They had ENSURE at the aid stations at Tahoe and It seemed to help some.

cpev

>>>>>> David

One of my training partners uses something for recovery called Biorhythm Afterglow. I've only had a sip or two, but it tastes really good at least. Looking at the label, it seems to have less magnesium than Endurox R4 but I don't feel like doing the math. He gets it for free or cheap, but it's pretty expensive normally from what he's told me.

Since I'm still trying to figure out good fueling practices myself (for a 24 hour race specifically), do you only use liquid fuel, or do you eat solid stuff at some point too? I think I'd have a lot easier time getting liquids down, but I have to wonder if that's enough.

They had ENSURE at the aid stations at Tahoe and It seemed to help some.

While I did not sample the Ensure at TRT, I have used it infrequently during training.

Infrequent because I have it on a lower shelf in my refrigerator and I always forget about it.

Need to move into line of sight. It is quite tasty (to me) and my gut seems to process it ok enough.

Costco makes a knock off I think I will try.

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn

What do you like and why?

For races duration 5 hours or less, simply carbs, electrolytes, fluids. Take your pick of favorite carbs and electrolytes. For me: gels, S!-caps, and water does it. Maybe a Clif Bar, too.

For me, the point of departure for the addition of protein or fats is on runs greater than 5 hours. I have used Clip or Amino in the 100 mile events, but not as a sole source. I typically have a bag of trail mix and a Builder Bar (energy bar with protein) in every drop bag.

If you're looking for products to replace your Endurox (or Clip or Perpetuem), I'd start with the Clif Roks, which are little solid chocolate bite-size (similar to Whoppers candy.) In my recent long ultras, one bag of those every couple hours mixed in with the requisite carbs, electrolytes, and liquids usually gets me to where I need to go. Fill in with random hot foods at aid stations.

DoppleBock

Chris - I typically get 1 liquid drtink down pe hour ~ 2 scoops of endutox =270  calories.  Then I get 1-2 gels per hour.  If it is a 1 gel hour, that usually means I ate a banana also.  Occassionally I try and eat a 1/2 a ham and cheese sandwhich (Maybe 2 -3 sandwiches in 24) just to keep my stomache a little more solid.  Total target has been 450-500 calories per hour.

One of my training partners uses something for recovery called Biorhythm Afterglow. I've only had a sip or two, but it tastes really good at least. Looking at the label, it seems to have less magnesium than Endurox R4 but I don't feel like doing the math. He gets it for free or cheap, but it's pretty expensive normally from what he's told me.

Since I'm still trying to figure out good fueling practices myself (for a 24 hour race specifically), do you only use liquid fuel, or do you eat solid stuff at some point too? I think I'd have a lot easier time getting liquids down, but I have to wonder if that's enough.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

You'll ruin your knees!

My fueling looked a lot like Doc refueling the Delorean in B2Future...Cans of Chicken noodle soup slurp chewed, Boost Pepsi Mt Dew, beer,beef tacos, shrimp,spaghetti...love loved Turkey and avacado on a soft tortilla - SALTED!...I went through a lot of Clip II---

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

jjameson

I strive to get in 300 calories/hour in the ultras I do.  It isn't a problem in the first 5 hours but after that I have a really problem and my intake falls to 100-200 cal/hour.  No question that is it is a factor and something I need to work on.  In Hellgate (13 hours) I think I only took in 1800 - 2000 calories the whole race.  Definitely a factor.  I'm reading everyones replies with interest.  I tend to just try to get in 2 gels/hour and some dilute HEED.  Research is pretty definitive that protein intake helps in events over 3 hours.  I've been experimenting with perpetuum, but hate the taste.

Joe

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

I like Hammer products.

EFS Liquidshot is fairly high in calories.  May be worth a shot.

• Black Canyon 100k
                    • RRR
                    • Zane Grey 100k
                    • High Lonesome 100
                    • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
                    • The Bear 100
                    • Javelina Jundred (?)
                    HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

Was listening to a podcast yesterday that mentions the UCAN stuff.  Sounds like it is best for recovery and that while it may make you resorb glycogen faster, the cost doesn't justify... essentially, your body will restore glycogen within 8 hours if you just eat carbs post-workout/race.

The iTUNES link is:

http://itun.es/iSf2r5  (Ben Greenfield Fitness - Episode #179: What Pharmaceutical Companies Don’t Want You To Know About Statins)

• Black Canyon 100k
                      • RRR
                      • Zane Grey 100k
                      • High Lonesome 100
                      • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
                      • The Bear 100
                      • Javelina Jundred (?)