Ultra Runners

North Coast 24 (Read 1194 times)

On On

What I find most surprising with the new names is John Geesler.  I guess I assumed he would be a USATF runner.  No matter how well he does he can't win, and can't get placed on the National Team.

What I find most surprising with the new names is John Geesler.  I guess I assumed he would be a USATF runner.  No matter how well he does he can't win, and can't get placed on the National Team.

Why not?

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

On On

USATF rules.

Perhaps I'm thick skulled tonight (okay - every night), but I don't get it.

DoppleBock

He has until the race to renew his membership, but my guess is that he signed up and just did not enter it.  He was a member of the 2010 Team.

For at large bids to the Team - You only have to be a member by the time Worlds happen.   

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

On On

It was clarified for me today that his name is on the list, but his app has not been processed.  So more than likely his USATF number is on the app.  I'll assume he has one.

As far as the USATF rules; you have to have a USATF number to win the prizes for a USATF race.  If a non USATF runner runs the most miles they would still be the winner, but would not be eligible for the prizes.  The top prize will go to the USATF runner with the most miles.

Oh, I gotcha. Thanks for clearing that up.

DoppleBock

Awards are as follows:

All Runners will receive commemorative medals

Overall male and female winners receive a trophy

The top 3 USATF Registered male and female runners will receive the following cash awards:

1st Place: $1,500

2nd Place: $1,000

3rd Place: $500

There will be medals to top 3 in each age group/gender: 0-39, 40-44, 45-49, 50-54, 55-59, 60-64, 65-69. 70-74, 75-79, 80-. In order to receive a medal, runners must be registered with a USATF number.

It was clarified for me today that his name is on the list, but his app has not been processed.  So more than likely his USATF number is on the app.  I'll assume he has one.

As far as the USATF rules; you have to have a USATF number to win the prizes for a USATF race.  If a non USATF runner runs the most miles they would still be the winner, but would not be eligible for the prizes.  The top prize will go to the USATF runner with the most miles.

DoppleBock

So I know that if a non-ustaf runner ran say 160 miles in another race - As long as they signed up for the USTAF membership before some time next year they would be on the US National 24 hour team with an at large bid (Being one of the runners to run a top 3 distance in the Q period)

But now if siad runner ran 141 miles and took 2nd place at NorthCoast - Does that runner get the auto qualifying spot for being a top 2 runner at the US championship race?

2011 only sees the top 2 get auto qaulifying spots - Other years it was 3 runners.  Other years there were runners that ran further than the #2 and #3 runner at Northcoast in other 24 hour races, but did not make the team.  I think this is fine as it is the US Championship race and you have to perform on demand.

DoppleBock

If I were to play the pick the top 7 Men (In order)

1)  Serge Arbona

2)  Phil McCarthy

3)  Mark Godale - I would put him in the #2 spot if I knew why he was there - Last time he ran NorthCoast he was trying to get a 100k qualifying time to make team USA and had no plan on running 24 hours.

4)  Nick Coury

5)  Byron Lane

6)  John Geesler

7)  Michael Henze

DoppleBock

My pick of the top 7 women (In order)

1)  Connie Gardner

2)  Sabrina Moran

3)  Jamie Donaldson - I am not even sure if she is running or what shape she is in - If she were in top shape I would mover her to #2 

4)  Anna Piskorska

5)  Deb Horn

6)  Shannon McGinn

7)  Jenny Hoffman

On On

If I were to play the pick the top 7 Men (In order)

1)  Serge Arbona

2)  Phil McCarthy

3)  Mark Godale - I would put him in the #2 spot if I knew why he was there - Last time he ran NorthCoast he was trying to get a 100k qualifying time to make team USA and had no plan on running 24 hours.

4)  Nick Coury

5)  Byron Lane

6)  John Geesler

7)  Michael Henze

I thought about Nick, has he proved himself in a 24?  As for the other 6 I am pretty sure they all have experience at 24 hour races, with almost all of them either winning races or being on the National Team before.

It may just come down to race day scenarios.  I have seen runners who were better trained start to have stomach issues or other ailments that you didn't plan for (or couldn't).  And as you stated before weather.  A cool rainy breezy night would work against Byron (guy can't be more than 135 soaking wet) versus someone of your size.

It will be interesting to watch.  Also strategy.  Who goes out to take the early lead?  Who stays within themselves and runs their own race? 

Out of the 7 listed, who do you see as a quick starter?  Is Serge going to be the leader at 1 hr, 6 hr, 12 hr and 24 hr?

On On

My pick of the top 7 women (In order)

1)  Connie Gardner

2)  Sabrina Moran

3)  Jamie Donaldson - I am not even sure if she is running or what shape she is in - If she were in top shape I would mover her to #2 

4)  Anna Piskorska

5)  Deb Horn

6)  Shannon McGinn

7)  Jenny Hoffman

I haven't seen all 7 race before so I don't have as much feedback here.  I do think Sabrina can win though if she has a great day. 

The other wild card would be Anna, will she be able to push for more to get the auto qualifying spot. 

I thought about Nick, has he proved himself in a 24?  As for the other 6 I am pretty sure they all have experience at 24 hour races, with almost all of them either winning races or being on the National Team before.

It may just come down to race day scenarios.  I have seen runners who were better trained start to have stomach issues or other ailments that you didn't plan for (or couldn't).  And as you stated before weather.  A cool rainy breezy night would work against Byron (guy can't be more than 135 soaking wet) versus someone of your size.

It will be interesting to watch.  Also strategy.  Who goes out to take the early lead?  Who stays within themselves and runs their own race? 

Out of the 7 listed, who do you see as a quick starter?  Is Serge going to be the leader at 1 hr, 6 hr, 12 hr and 24 hr?

After a quick search on this top 7 list I noticed that last weekend John Geesler did 133 mile in the Silverton Challenge 6 day race.  I couldn't tell if he stopped after 24 or if he was taking it easy over a few days.  Any idea if that was a tune up race or was he trying to post a qualifying number?  I'm thinking tune up since 9000 feet elevation doesn't sound like the best place to go for a big number and he's gone over 300 in the 6 day before.

Rick, you may have already mentioned it but will there be constant updates throughout the race?

DB - I know you've had a few training setbacks but I don't think we'll see 6 guys beat you.

DoppleBock

Serge and Mark will go out fast

I think after the great 48 hour performance at 3 days at the fair - I think Phil will take a more steady approach than he has in the past

I think Nick will go out fast - Faster than Phil, slower than Mark and Serge

John, Byron and myself will take a more measured pacing approach - Probably not breaking the top ten (If we do) until 14+ hours/

I did not know that about John - That would move him to #7 on the list

I think Byron is in pretty good shape - A chance for a break out race

Nick is young - He could build significantly on his 136 from last year

I am not in shape - So I have to take the approach that Serge, Mark, Phil and Nick will race each other into the ground - Leaving a spot open for me to sneak into.  The list that I out up is based on each of us racing to our current potential.  I know that there will be blow up and maybe even no shows.