Ultra Runners

Looking way ahead... (Read 456 times)

Beware, batbear...

Okay - I didn't get a yes, but I didn't get a no.  Now I need a plan that will get me ready to run 25 in 2 1/3 months.  Right now my long run is at about 9.5 miles (I'm building back from having lost a LOT of fitness when I was out all of October with a badly sprained ankle).  I'll probably run 10+ on Saturday doing a light jog for about 2 miles to the 10k course and then about 2 miles back to the car.

Long run plan:

Weekend of Jan 22 - 10 miles

Weekend of Jan 29 - 11.5 miles

Weekend of Feb 5 - 13 miles

Weekend of Feb. 12 - 10 miles

Weekend of Feb. 19 - 13 miles

Weekend of Feb. 26 - 15 miles

Weekend of Mar. 5  - 17 miles

Week of Mar. 12 - 20 miles

Week of Mar. 19 - 15 miles

Week of Mar. 26 -- 10 miles

April 2nd -- 25 

Question is, how many miles during the middle of the week do I need to be running to support the long runs.  Long runs are supposed to be...1/3?  1/4? of miles for the week?  Hmm.  I'd like to just go out and run and let it all fall into place but I'm going to need some sort of plan to be able to get there....I think.

2014 Goal -- Run 5X per week, pain-free (relatively) by end of summer.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I think the fast ultra people may run most or all of the way, but in my (extremely limited) experience, lots of us were walking uphills - so that is a difference from road running (or can be a difference, depending how you handle hills on roads).

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

If you can run 10 miles today, you should be able to pace 25 in a reasonably nontechnical 100 in 10 weeks with not much more than good base miles.  I would shoot for 40-50 mile weeks if you can, including the long run.  And run that long run easy peasy.  If you want to run the long run hard, you need closer to 60+ mile weeks.

Beware, batbear...

I can't run 10 hard right now.  Just 10 total.  

So...I'm going to get in about 33 miles this week.  If I extend all my runs by 10 pct I could be at 37 next week.

40 ish through February.

50 ish through March.

Are you saying ditch the long run schedule?  

I'm just looking for a framework.  

2014 Goal -- Run 5X per week, pain-free (relatively) by end of summer.

xor

I'm not sure that running 10 "hard" is a pre-req to pacing someone in the later miles of a 100.

Though yes it totally depends on the "someone" in question.

I'm not sure that running 10 "hard" is a pre-req to pacing someone in the later miles of a 100.

Though yes it totally depends on the "someone" in question.

so true.  For most, you just have to be able to walk without falling asleep from the slow pace.  Big grin

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

Buzzie, looks like you just did the 50 last year at Umstead.  Was that your intention?  A fiend of mine planned the 100 and dropped to 50.

Well, I went out for 100... But was injured going in. Wheels stayed on until 75; then, I left the HQ aid station and found them suddenly missing. After a few more miles, I decided to pack it in and crawled back to HQ.

It was my first 100.  I've learned things since that would have kept me out there for at least one more loop.

This year, my prospects aren't much better - coming back from a broken foot that seems to have included a bunch of soft tissue damage. Plan now is to just run consistently but conservatively leading up to Umstead. Then, just go and enjoy the day. It's such a wonderful event!

Liz

pace sera, sera