Ultra Runners

Hawthorn Half Day- A Rambling Report (Read 585 times)

Kalsarikännit

A race report of my weekend with two RA'ers.  Please forgive all spelling and grammar mistakes...if you haven't figured it out yet, I'm an idiot.

One of my fav races was this weekend.  A 12 hour race in the meth-head capital of the U.S., Terre Haute, IN.    Upon arrival I got the last spot in the campground, a few spots away from Buzzie.  Mixed in with us as usual were families with men in wife-beaters, with cigarettes hanging out of their mouths and names like Festus and Cleatus.  They (and their wives/baby-mamas) pass the time yelling obscenities at their badly behaved children.  The same thing every year.  Despite this, why do I come back?  It is a great, well run race that loops around a nature preserve and a bog with interesting birds before dipping into the woods before a short sprint through the campground, then back into the woods, then finally a clearing to complete the 3.1 mile loop.  While this is going on there is also a relay with fast runners to cheer on.  It is a great race.

After setting up my tent I went to dinner with a friend and Buzzie.  When I returned I threw a few bags in the tent then Buzzie and I hung out.  While walking some of the course and having a beer or two with a campfire, I discover Buzzie is very cool.  How many people do you know that can do a double salchow AND fly an airplane?  (I end up having a really great weekend hanging out with her.)  Later comes some bad sleep that night with the screaming kids and parents, plus fireworks.  My deflated air mattress doesn't help any.

The next day starts out with some rain and some of the most comfortable temps that I have ever experienced at this race.  It is usually brutally hot.  It would have been a great day to tear this course up.  I don't.  I "run" a very poor 50k and call it a day.  My peroneal tendonitis is still bad, I am out of shape, and my glutes and hamstrings have tightened up so badly that I am having a hard time walking.  At one ponit while bent over and stretching, with only my butt facing the trail, a runner calls out my name.  It is HoosierDaddy.  I am still trying to figure out how he recognized me  Big grin

Anyways, the ultrarunners are dropping like flies.  Jeff M., a former winner (and Monkey runner), drops.  Soon follows Buzzie, who had been running an awesome race, but has been battling injuries.  Karen, last years winner is at a walk, and HoosierDaddy is talking about dropping with knee problems (he doesn't).  On the bright side, my friend Jeff F. completes his first 50 miles ever.  On top of it, one of my favorite runners who is such an inspiration to me, Juli Aistars ends up winning the women's race.

I haven't been paying much attention to the men's race.  Imagine my surprise when at the awards ceremony the men's winner turns out to be HoosierDaddy!  Whoa!  Very exciting!

Time comes for the long drive home.  I go into my overnight bag to get money for gas, and...nothing.  My drivers license, debit card and cash are gone.  I take everything out of the car and go through every bag, just to be sure.  At this point everyone is gone except for one woman who is asking me questions that I have no patience for.  I'm screwed.  I need a full tank of gas to get home.  I'm going to be stuck in Terre Haute forever.  I realize I didn't see my stuff this morning when going through my bags.  The last time I had everything was when I put it in my tent the evening before.  Doesn't matter at the moment.  Right before I get really panic-y, Hoosier Daddy walks up.  He generously offers to load up the car with gas.  I am really embarassed, but I don't know what else to do.  At the gas station he insists on giving me $20 in case of emergency or if I need more gas.  I owe HoosierDaddy $65 now, plus many, many, many beers when I see him at Leadville!

Buzzie, I had a great time with you, and I hope we can find more races to run together.  HoosierDaddy, you are my MVP!  Congrats on the win, and thank you for saving my butt. 

BTW...Next year I am getting a motel room.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Purdey

Self anointed title

Damn that's a good report WG.

My observations:

1. Hope you get yourself fixed soon. I miss not having you on top form.

2. I remember those rednecks called Fetus (or whatever) from my visits to Indiana.

3. HoosierDaddy is a rock star. Winning the race and then helping out the damsel in distress. I'll get him a beer at PbVille too.

4. Whoever stole your stuff had better watch their backs. I can bring the whole Parachute Regiment down on them like a ton of bricks. Remember this you thieving twats: "On the eighth day God created the Paras, and the Devil stood to attention."

5. What is a "double salchow"? Is it from the Kama Sutra?

Kalsarikännit

5. What is a "double salchow"? Is it from the Kama Sutra?

Haha.  I will leave it to Buzzie to answer any questions about her knowledge of the Kama Sutra.  Salchow (pronounced sow-cow).  The girl can figure skate!  And fly a plane, and ride motorcycles, and run ultras!  I have a feeling that she is one of those people that you could give any crazy task to, and she would have no problem getting it done.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

Nice meeting you folks.  Surprised myself a bit - really enjoyed the race.

I heard there was some potbellied, chain smoking red neck arrested at Wal Mart trying to by pseudophedrine, batteries, and beakerswith a stolen credit card......

• Black Canyon 100k
          • RRR
          • Zane Grey 100k
          • High Lonesome 100
          • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
          • The Bear 100
          • Javelina Jundred (?)
          DoppleBock

Sorry you got rolled - The "Good Ole Boys" were not so good.

I also agree - We need to fix you soon!

Congrats to HoosierDaddy

Did your neighbors talk with a Southern Drawl ?  I am just curious why you call then rednecks.  Maybe they were no good Hicks?

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

DoppleBock

Individual Records

Male Rob Hruskovich 69.88 Miles (2007)

Female  Jennifer Aradi  61.40 Miles (2009)

Masters Male Jeff Mires 68.10 Miles (2009)

Masters Female Karen Plucinski  60.90 Miles (2010)

Hmmm, someone looks familiar

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Great report!

Ditto what Purdey said.  Except I can't bring a parachute regimen down on them like a ton of bricks.  But I can bring the wrath of a premenopausal woman down on them.  A$$hole thieves. Angry

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Purdey

Self anointed title

But I can bring the wrath of a premenopausal woman down on them.  A$$hole thieves. Angry

Enough to scare the most battle hardened soldier.

Awesome report! I hope they gave out trucker hats or chewing tobacco as part of the race swag. I'm sick of your crappy tendon too. Sad

Way to go Hoosier! And you too Buzzie! I'd like to see that "double salchow" at Cascade Crest, ok? Smile

~Sara
                    It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great. ~ Jimmy Dugan

xor

>> salchow

And now I know it isn't really "sow cow".  Ahhhhhhh.

>> A$$hole. 

An asshole who steals your money.

Sorry about the tendon, sorry about theft (although where I grew up, getting 'rolled' either involves getting beaten up or toilet paper in the trees).  Cool you got to meet cool people.  And cool that you are not stuck in TH.

Carl A

Thanks for posting the fun-to-read report. Glad to hear that you were able to get through all the challenges, and that you're already plotting your revenge next year.

Congratulations also to HD. What a classy performance, all around!

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

xor

I have to say, describing the brief story above as "a rambling report" kind of reinforces for me that it was a good idea for me to stop publishing stories on ye olden internet.

Loved the report, WG.

And, not bad.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

Individual Records

Male Rob Hruskovich 69.88 Miles (2007)

Female  Jennifer Aradi  61.40 Miles (2009)

Masters Male Jeff Mires 68.10 Miles (2009)

Masters Female Karen Plucinski  60.90 Miles (2010)

Hmmm, someone looks familiar

Huh.  I didn't see this.  I was just running and not even looking at my watch most of the day....which I think helped me.  I missed the Masters by .4 miles and open by about 2 miles (guess I should have run that last little lap WG?) Guess there is a goal for next year...

I think she was on a good pace this year, too.  50K and that was not even half way through the day was it?

• Black Canyon 100k
                              • RRR
                              • Zane Grey 100k
                              • High Lonesome 100
                              • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
                              • The Bear 100
                              • Javelina Jundred (?)
                              xor

Loved the report, WG.

And, not bad.

That isn't bad.

But who is Juli Aistars?

Oh, now I see:

>> one of my favorite runners who is such an inspiration to me, Juli Aistars ends up winning the women's race.

Indeed.  I'm guessing I said hello to her at some point in the middle of the night at Keys.  Yup, checked pictures.  I remember her well!  Lots and lots of cool races.