Ultra Runners

100km - 2 weeks to go (Read 169 times)

Go Pre!

This weekend was back to back long runs of 30k & 50k. The last 10k of Sunday's 50 were tough, slow and I was so thirsty. I ended up stopping at a gas station for a top up of G2 and downed it but then had to run the last 5k with a full belly of liquids. The run finished in temps of 90 and left me hoarse, feeling the effects of living in a smoggy city - deep breaths were difficult as I recovered.

Fortunately the 100k coming up is in a small town and the air will be cleaner but the heat can be the same. And even though I will rest for it, I am seriously worried now that 100km is a bit too much for me to chew. I figure I can walk a lot of it to ensure I finish but it's still a long way and I am a bit freaked!

Go Pre!

I meant to ask, I have 1 more weekend in between. Would you recommend long runs again or would I be better served to keep the mileage lower and get rested up?

DoppleBock

Rest - 2 weekends out I do whatever I wouold do for a marathon.  For me (Higher mileage)  it might include a 2 1/2 hour run - But not longer.  The key with fluids is to stay fully hydrated as much as possible.  Once you are dehydrated your stomace starts to reject fluids and it gets sloshy.

Good luck!

I meant to ask, I have 1 more weekend in between. Would you recommend long runs again or would I be better served to keep the mileage lower and get rested up?

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !