Ultra Runners

Mississippi 50? (Read 60 times)

Anyone else in?

I'm running the 50 mile with the main goal of avoiding a crash and burn. Should be interesting!

Imminent Catastrophe

Yep. Just a good long training run and a buckle! I hear it can be muddy some years.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Kalsarikännit

I did the 50k last year. It is a nice race. It was pretty muddy, but everyone told me that it was one if the drier years!

Have fun.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

I have yet to read a race report that DOESN'T mention a lot of mud.

Perfesser, would love to meet up. I won't be there for long before or after, but we can message closer to the race to confirm.

Imminent Catastrophe

The way this winter is going, it may all be frozen.

Sounds good, Dustin.

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

Hey Perfesser... Looks like I won't be getting in until sometime between 9:00 and 10:00 Friday night. You camping there or staying at a hotel? We'll be camping.

And ANOTHER change of plans. I'll be there on the campsite in the afternoon after all. Meet up at packet pickup?

Imminent Catastrophe

Hope so, I probably won't do the dinner but hope to be there to get my packet Friday night.

Weather looks good, if a bit warmish.

Ditto on not being there for the dinner. We're planning on cooking at the campsite.

I'll message you my number and hopefully we can meet up at packet pickup.

Imminent Catastrophe

Boo. I got sick and had to bail. Really disappointing. I'm eager to hear how it went.

Boo. I got sick and had to bail. Really disappointing. I'm eager to hear how it went.

It was a little more of a challenging day than I anticipated. It didn't rain, but the mud and slop was still ever present. So much of it, and most of it was just unavoidable. I don't think were ever dry after the first mile.

And, it got warmer than anticipated. Temps hit the upper 70's. I was trying a new drink mix, Tailwind Nutrition. I was able to race with no solid food and no gels... just Tailwind and water. Unfortunately, I didn't supplement with enough water when it got warm so I got pretty dehydrated in the third loop. But, I came out of it okay... and then got on the wrong side of it again in the 4th loop. Such is ultra racing, though.

It was a decently run race. Not great, but good. Not a scenic trail... just mud and pine needles in the relatively flat national forest.

And Tailwind is great stuff if you haven't tried it yet. While I did get behind on water consumption, I was great on calories all day.