Ultra Runners

Headlamp? (Read 27 times)

dblendc

In today's market what would you purchase for a headlamp for ultra racing? I ask because I don't live near any running stores and will be making the purchase online. How many lumens does one really want/need?

dc

nOOky

I always recommend buying as much light as you can afford. For my money I'd buy a Petzl Reactik headlamp and call it a day. Around $100 I think online.

Istria 110k 4-6-2024

WS100 6-29-2024

UTMB 171k 8-30-2024

MCM 10-27-2024

drock69

I have the Petzl Actik, it doesn't auto adjust like the Reactik, but it's cheaper. I use a Nathan flashlight as well, that does 200 lumens. Depends on how technical the trails are. Brighter isn't always better either, because everything just gets washed out, and battery life won't be as long. Good to have a back up, especially if you're out there alone

Club Fat Ass New Years Day 50k - Jan 1 - 6h13m

First Half HM (road) - Feb. 9

Chuckanut 50k - Mar. 21

Sun Run 10k - Apr. 19

BMO Vancouver Marathon - May 3

Vancouver 100k (Club Fat Ass) - 32h07m 2 runs, pacing 100 miler friends

Whistler Alpine Meadows 100 miler - September 25

berylrunner

Rick

200 lumens does the job.

I prefer to use a handheld flashlight and carry a headlamp as backup.

12-22   Last One Standing  - dnf 37 miles

1-23  Sun Marathon - 3:53

3-4-23  Red Mountain 55k - 7:02

4-15-23  Zion 100 - 27:59

Sandy-2

I try to get the most lumens with the least wight and the longest battery life. That usually works out to the single strap, 3 AAA battery style.  I've had Petzel models, but currently using a Black Diamond Spot.  The newer Spots have 300 lumens are light weight and cost about $30.  I also use a small lightweight handheld for the different light angles on technical trails.

tbd.

dblendc

Great info guys!! Thank you so much!

berylrunner - any specific make/model ?

Sandy-2 - specifics on the handheld?

seattlemax

Duke Of Bad Judgment

I got the Black Diamond Icon ($50 at the Hardrock merch table - probably $75 retail).  It claims something like 70 hours on the brightest setting (500 lumens?).  Being stupid, I turned it on and off a couple times and then used it through 2 nights of the Ouray 100 a couple days later.  One set of batteries got me through both nights no problem.  I tested the batteries afterwards and they were low, so I doubt the 70 hour claim but still this is the first headlamp I've tried that has lasted 2 nights.  Easy to use, not light but not horribly heavy, bright, long-lasting.  Also, less disconcerting than the flickering reactive stuff from Petzl (my previous favorite headlamp).  E.g. when I reach up to scratch my nose, the light doesn't suddenly dim.