Ultra Runners

Lessons from your first 100 (Read 143 times)

Birdwell

What do you wish you would have differently in the buildup to your first 100 mile race?

I decided at the beginning of this year that I needed to buckle down and get serious about my training and overall health. Part of my motivation is going for my first 100 next year (Yep, 2015, hopefully the Black Hills 100, possibly Bryce if that doesn't work out).

There are moments I think I've got plenty of time to prepare and other moments where I can't believe how fast it's coming up.

I want to do well and finish strong, knowing that I did the most I could with the time I had to prepare.

So far this year I've focused on consistency of training, just trying to get out there 6 days a week. For the summer I'm going to shift focus and work on vertical feet and long run length. I have a mountain down the street that I'm committed to run each week (11.5 mile route, 3,000'+ gain, climbing up to 10,000') between now and Labor Day (or until the first snow hits, whichever comes first).

I also plan to add a mile or two each week to the long run (starting at 10 miles) until 30 miles feels comfortable. I have a 35 mile run (solo, unsupported type thing) planned for mid August and a mid November 50K (Pass Mountain) on the calendar 

I've been getting in at least one solid speed session (or hill session) each week.

My log should be viewable to members of the group. The couple down weeks recently are due to a new baby in our house.

So, all you wonderfully experienced ultra runners, knowing what you know now, what would you tell your past self as they worked toward that 100 mile debut?

What advice would you give me?

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Plan my 1st for December- Bratram 100. Running in the woods along at night is a challenge in its self. Did 9 hours of a 12 hour night race Friday/Saturday. I will need to check to see if I camp out at  Stone Mtn state park and run the trail at night. The park does not open until  6 am. I will be checking back to see the replies. I am using the "ultra ladies 100 plan" for 1st timers. Purchased  Fenix 15 headlamp on Amazon for $65. it did great. Batteries lasted for about 4 hours on levels 3 & 4 . It has 5 levels of brightness. Fenix 15 has a detachable battery pack from the headband.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Plan my 1st for December- Bratram 100. Running in the woods along at night is a challenge in its self. Did 9 hours of a 12 hour night race Friday/Saturday. I will need to check to see if I camp out at  Stone Mtn state park and run the trail at night. The park does not open until  6 am. I will be checking back to see the replies. I am using the "ultra ladies 100 plan" for 1st timers. Purchased  Fenix 15 headlamp on Amazon for $65. it did great. Batteries lasted for about 4 hours on levels 3 & 4 . It has 5 levels of brightness. Fenix 15 has a detachable battery pack from the headband.

Hey Ron, I'm planning on Bartram 100's also...If they ever get the registration open.  I thought the RD

said that the new web site would be up by now?  I DNF'd it in 2012.  Hope to get it right this time.

I know that I went out too fast last time.  And my training was sorely lacking.

mta:   Sorry I'm no help Birdwell.

steph  

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I'm not going to be any help since I only recently decided to run my first 100 next year also. I decided that since my goal race this year was a 24-hour race, the North Coast 24 in September, that it wouldn't require a lot more to step up from there to a 100. I've chosen the Jackpot Ultra in February since I know the course having run the 12-hour there this year and I thought it was very well run. It also avoids the added challenge of a lot of ascent and simplifies logistics since I pass the aid station every 2.38 miles. The distance itself will be enough of a challenge at this point.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

giddy-yup

Couple quick thoughts:

Read lots of race reports from others running 100's. Preferably their first, and even if they DNF'ed. There are a lot of potential questions and issues you've probably not even thought of yet that can be gleaned from reading about others' experiences.

Plan some long runs to do at night. Especially if you've had a long hard day beforehand. This helped me get comfortable not only running at night, but running at night after a strenuous day of running all day.

You'll ruin your knees!

Here is my first 100 race report... tried to capture some key light-bulb moments...

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Heat training.  My first 100 attempt failed last year because I did not expect the heat and humidity at Oil Creek, PA, in October.  You would think you could count on the weather, but the reality is averages are just that, averages not high/low.

jjameson

I hate to say it but my advice is to practice WALKING.  I mean go out for 2-3 hours and walk as fast as you can once/week.  This will serve you well.  Let's face it, only the very top runners can actually run 100 miles.  You will have to walk, possibly a lot, and it uses different muscles than running.  If you learn to walk a 12-13 mpm pace it will serve you well.

Ojo

I agree!  I would even suggest long run and then a hike later on in the day.  Being able to keep a good pace is hard and can be painful if you are not used to it.

I hate to say it but my advice is to practice WALKING.  I mean go out for 2-3 hours and walk as fast as you can once/week.  This will serve you well.  Let's face it, only the very top runners can actually run 100 miles.  You will have to walk, possibly a lot, and it uses different muscles than running.  If you learn to walk a 12-13 mpm pace it will serve you well.

Sara

MM #2929

bhearn

My first 100 was done almost on a whim; I signed up a few weeks before the race after some friends convinced me I could do it. Previously I had thought, I'd like to do a 100 someday, but I'll never have time to train for one. Friends convinced me I was already in shape for one. They were right.

Everything went right with the race... so I didn't really learn much. It was the fastest and most problem-free of my three 100s so far.

So, I'm not much help. Except to point out that, there are really no rules. You never know what you will get.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Hey Ron, I'm planning on Bartram 100's also...If they ever get the registration open.  I thought the RD

said that the new web site would be up by now?  I DNF'd it in 2012.  Hope to get it right this time.

I know that I went out too fast last time.  And my training was sorely lacking.

mta:   Sorry I'm no help Birdwell.

June 1st- 200 mile months begin.190.5 miles in May. I did Rogue Yeti 12 hour last week(10 hours). Night runnig on trails is total different from running in a big city at night. Keeping the Boggie man at bay will be a major concern. Especially after 60 miles.

How do you the scary night crawlers away?

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

June 1st- 200 mile months begin.190.5 miles in May. I did Rogue Yeti 12 hour last week(10 hours). Night runnig on trails is total different from running in a big city at night. Keeping the Boggie man at bay will be a major concern. Especially after 60 miles.

It's funny but I haven't really had a problem yet.  I expected to since I'm a big chicken but for some reason it hasn't

happened yet.  Maybe because by the time it's dark I am too tired to worry about it.  My biggest problem at Bartram

was getting around each loop without having to use the toilet.  Pine woods don't have the best cover 

mta:  Are you going to do Merrill's Mile?  We signed up for Saturday 12 hour but changing to Friday due to my

husband's work commitment.  But Friday is the 4th so i guess you'll be doing Peachtree.  We decided to give it a

miss this year.

steph  

I hear a lot of people offer advice to do night runs on trails for various reasons.  I've never really found them useful.  I did one and it was more trouble than it was worth in terms of driving to find a trail to run on.  Once I started running (I did 20 miles in the dark on single track), the only thing I got out of it was that I would have to run slower at night due to limited visibility.

Although I haven't ran a 100 going through the night I recently ran a 50 miler that started at midnight.  Really no issues with night fatigue, 4AM circadian thing, technical terrain, or anything else.  The only issue I did have was my headlamp dying on me early, but I had a backup so it was no big deal.  Really the only thing that wears on you is that it is incredibly frustrating to be limited by visibility.

So my advice to ward off the night crawlers would be to stay focused.  If you are on your game while racing at night you will be focusing on what is in front of you, your effort levels, your fueling/hydration, your time, and last thought might be when you see daylight.  I found that was plenty to think about, and more than anything I wanted daylight so I could run faster when I could see better.

Ojo

Keeping the Boggie man at bay will be a major concern.

When I did Ghost Train last year, they set up a bunch of scary things when it got dark.  All alone and running into a white ghoul hanging from a tree scared the crap out of me and kept me on my toes!

Sara

MM #2929

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

It's funny but I haven't really had a problem yet.  I expected to since I'm a big chicken but for some reason it hasn't

happened yet.  Maybe because by the time it's dark I am too tired to worry about it.  My biggest problem at Bartram

was getting around each loop without having to use the toilet.  Pine woods don't have the best cover 

mta:  Are you going to do Merrill's Mile?  We signed up for Saturday 12 hour but changing to Friday due to my

husband's work commitment.  But Friday is the 4th so i guess you'll be doing Peachtree.  We decided to give it a

miss this year.

No I am not doing Merrill. Next race will be Hot to Trot in August. Unless I break down and go to Bad Marsh.it is in the dark but not in the woods( closed golf course).

SCHEDULE 2016--

unsolicited chatter