Ultra Runners

Walk-Run Strategies (Read 540 times)

who knows...

What are some of the walk-run strategies that have proven effective for folks here in ultra-races?
    "There is no I in εγω." --Unknown author, source of possible, but in no way certain, Greek origin

Wasatch Speedgoat

Run when you can, walk if you have to.... In reality it depends on the length of the race. In 100's I walk all the hills, starting at mile one....in some 50K's I'll run it like a marathon, no walking at all. I don't think the goal should be to see how much walking you can do, but how much running you can do. The race goes to those who finish swifter and my goal is never to just finish, but to be as close to the first place finisher as possible. If all you are looking for is a finish, then carefully walk as much as you dare.

Life is short, play hard!

You'll ruin your knees!

Someone once told me... When racing, remember to walk early and to run late...thought that was pretty simple, works for me... Otherwise, it's run till you can't, walk till you can...

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

sherpagirl

Sherpagirl

That sounds a bit like the wisdom a friend of mine told me when I started back country skiing ... ski the spaces not the trees. It actually takes doing the sport a bit to get the full effect of the wisdom.
          If you're bored ask why you're boring

who knows...

Someone once told me... When racing, remember to walk early and to run late...thought that was pretty simple, works for me... Otherwise, it's run till you can't, walk till you can...
            Thanks for the responses Lynn, ultrastevep, and sherpagirl. I was looking at some strategies for a 100 mile race that proposed a 10 min. run, 1 min. walk ratio but wasn't sure how well one could be consistent in maintaining something like that.
            "There is no I in εγω." --Unknown author, source of possible, but in no way certain, Greek origin

You'll ruin your knees!

Thanks for the responses Lynn, ultrastevep, and sherpagirl. I was looking at some strategies for a 100 mile race that proposed a 10 min. run, 1 min. walk ratio but wasn't sure how well one could be consistent in maintaining something like that.
              Sure, what 100 are you thinking about? If there is much change in terrain, it might take care of itself (walk/run ratio), but if it is fairly flat, a good forced walk periodically would be smart. Either way, as someone already pointed out, PRACTICE WALKING! Find the ratio that works for you. 10:1 may be good, but I have seen people use 30:5 and such.... Good luck! Lynn

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

who knows...

Sure, what 100 are you thinking about? If there is much change in terrain, it might take care of itself (walk/run ratio), but if it is fairly flat, a good forced walk periodically would be smart. Either way, as someone already pointed out, PRACTICE WALKING! Find the ratio that works for you. 10:1 may be good, but I have seen people use 30:5 and such.... Good luck! Lynn
                I was looking at Mohican 100 (June) since I have family in the area who would be willing to crew. However, I may have to look at a later run since I am also looking at running the Ice Age 50 in May and the 100 is less than four weeks after. Smart about adjusting any ratio to accommodate to the terrain... Thanks for that. The Mohican has about 11,400 feet of total climb which I think is fairly spread out.

You'll ruin your knees!

If you're running (read not racing) the 50, it could be a good last long run before the Mohican. Using shorter races as tune-ups for my goal race is how I like to train. Having a 50 mile race instead of trying to fit in a 30-20 back to back run solo is way more desirable to me! Again, your experience may not be the same. I don't want to encourage you to get into someting your not ready for, but it seems like just about any plan would peak 3-4 weeks before the target race and a 50 mile run doesn't seem that far out of the question...good way to put all the learnings into one long run before you actually go out and try the hunnerd. 11,000+ in a non-mountain race is likely to have lots and lots of little ups and downs. My guess is there will be enough hills to get plenty of walk breaks. Are you familiar with the trails where Mohican is held? If there is any way to get some time on those trails that would be great.

who knows...

If you're running (read not racing) the 50, it could be a good last long run before the Mohican. Using shorter races as tune-ups for my goal race is how I like to train. Having a 50 mile race instead of trying to fit in a 30-20 back to back run solo is way more desirable to me! Again, your experience may not be the same. I don't want to encourage you to get into someting your not ready for, but it seems like just about any plan would peak 3-4 weeks before the target race and a 50 mile run doesn't seem that far out of the question...good way to put all the learnings into one long run before you actually go out and try the hunnerd. 11,000+ in a non-mountain race is likely to have lots and lots of little ups and downs. My guess is there will be enough hills to get plenty of walk breaks. Are you familiar with the trails where Mohican is held? If there is any way to get some time on those trails that would be great.
                    I am familiar with portions of the trails and have been on them a few times. No back-breaking inclines from what I remember of those portions (though who knows what lies behind the unseen). Part of my hesitancy is that I haven't decided yet how I want to run the 50 (i.e., race or run). Ah, something to think about during my next long run!

My sweet new crank!

I am also looking at running the Ice Age 50 in May
                      I am planning that as my first 50 also. Are you in WI area? I have not been out there and would like to know more about that trail and course, so I can start thinking about it and get the right balance of hills in my training.
                      Ryan O'D Gurnee, IL by way of Madison, WI via Wichita, KS via Denver, CO

who knows...

I am planning that as my first 50 also. Are you in WI area? I have not been out there and would like to know more about that trail and course, so I can start thinking about it and get the right balance of hills in my training.
                        I live in NJ, so judging from your signature you are a bit closer than I Smile I have not run this particular race before. The Web site [click here] for the race has some pictures of portions of the trails. Also, judging from the times posted by the top 25 runners it looks to be a pretty good (as in fairly 'tame') course.

OilCreek100.org

I ran the Mohican 100 in June. It was my first 100, so I took a leisurely approach to it so I would finish it. Finished in 28:38. Plenty of hills that will make you walk, so you won't have a tough time deciding when to run / walk ! Do plenty of hill training as the Mo hills are pretty constant. Run on similar terrain - walk up hills, run down them to build up your quads, you'll need it. Also, it can get into the low 90's and with the humidity, it can be pretty brutal, so plan on doing some heat acclimatization training also or else you probably won't finish if it is a hot day. Luckily, the high was only about 80 or low 80's in June (and I had been preparing for low 90's temps) so it was a perfect / cool day for me. Also, parts of the red / green loops can be treacherously muddy because the trail is shared with horses... ankle deep suck the shoes off your feet stinky (horse sh*t) mud. That will even take more of a toll on you.

who knows...

I ran the Mohican 100 in June. It was my first 100, so I took a leisurely approach to it so I would finish it. Finished in 28:38. Plenty of hills that will make you walk, so you won't have a tough time deciding when to run / walk ! Do plenty of hill training as the Mo hills are pretty constant. Run on similar terrain - walk up hills, run down them to build up your quads, you'll need it. Also, it can get into the low 90's and with the humidity, it can be pretty brutal, so plan on doing some heat acclimatization training also or else you probably won't finish if it is a hot day. Luckily, the high was only about 80 or low 80's in June (and I had been preparing for low 90's temps) so it was a perfect / cool day for me. Also, parts of the red / green loops can be treacherously muddy because the trail is shared with horses... ankle deep suck the shoes off your feet stinky (horse sh*t) mud. That will even take more of a toll on you.
                            ErieTom, thanks for the info. It's good to know.