Ultra Runners

100 miler - how stupid would this be? (Read 799 times)

You'll ruin your knees!

There are four choices, not two.

1. Not stupid, don't run it

2. Not stupid, do run it

3. Stupid, don't run it

4. Stupid, but run the thing anyway

To me, the only valid "choices" are 3 and 4, there is no 1 and 2

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

There's a lot to be said about making the first 100 be in your comfort zone.  My first, Javelina, was in conditions almost identical to the easier trails that I run on here in Santa Fe, as far as desert terrain, very low humidity, sun exposure, and weird people.  The main difference was that it was much lower elevation, so I never felt like I was breathing hard!  

From what you say, CC being a local 100 where you grew up and near where you live now, it is perfect.  You can do long runs on the course on the weekends leading up to the race.  It is a Hardrock qualifier.  It would be an experience that you would never forget, but be reminded of time after time with just a look towards the mountains. 

There are many excellent post-Boston tune-up trail ultras in your area.  That said, think long and hard about "racing" the White River or Mt. Hood 50 milers as tune-ups, since there is not a lot of time for recovery.  Better choices are the already-mentioned Squaw Peak, Jemez 50 (I'm doing that one), San Juan Solstice 50, and Big Horn 50.

All 100 milers are hard.  Your first should be special.  If not CC, then what?

I want to run a 100 miler and I want to run a local one that is in late August. This race is near where I grew up and it's a challenging one (20k elevation gain), but if I am going to do a 100M, I want this to be the first (maybe only ) one.

Kalsarikännit

focus on your 50 miler in July and find another 50 or 100K to shoot for... 

For me, if I am targeting a specific race, I will begin to train specifically 5-6 months before that race and will use shorter races for long training runs. 

Is it possible to run CC100 in 2010, sure.  If you delay a year, however, I think it could make a lot of difference. 

Smalcolm- Thanks for the nice words.  Being an idiot, I have really taken to ultrarunning!

I know it is soooo hard to wait to do a race that you are excited about.    I believe 2011 would be the best time if you want to do Cascade Crest.  Getting in longer races is important.  Also, one of the difficulties that wasn't brought up is night running.  Running by headlamp on technical trails is rough!  A 100k (depending on the time of year) can give you some experience at night.  Of course, you can train out on trails at night, but this can be a little freaky for a lot of people (me included).

Of course, this advice is just the boring, conservative kind.   I wouldn't blame you for just going for it.  I love the Daniel Burnham quote:

"Make no little plans.  They have no magic to stir men's blood."

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

who knows...

I serve as an echo, "do the 100."

Smart and stupid become indistinguishable at about mile 62.

"There is no I in εγω." --Unknown author, source of possible, but in no way certain, Greek origin

Many use White River as a tune up for Cascade Crest and WR will give you a small inkling of what to expect at CC.

Full disclosure: This was my plan for 2009. Ran WR, then Cascade Crest as my first 100 miler. I DNF'd Cascade, dropping at Hyak (M53). Can't really explain why,  just felt like the right decision at the time.

Regrouped and went on to run 100 in the Hood and finished.

If you have a sufficient base of mileage, I say yes, go for it. or not. Smile

I plan to tackle Cascade Crest in 2010 if I can get in. It looks like they may use a lottery

Good Luck

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn

I should have mentioned, I am a firm believer on making your first 100 mile attempt be on legs that are as fresh as possible.  I think Matt Carpenter has some great information and detailed his hard-learned lessons about being a well-seasoned runner making lots of newbie ultrarunner mistakes.  http://www.skyrunner.com/story/2005lt100.htm.  I see this all the time in race reports posted to the ultralist, where the gung-ho nail their first 50 and then DNF their first 100 a few weeks later.

Is it important to get a crew for 100M? I noticed a couple of the stories I read about people doing 100M, mentioned them having a support crew...

I've never done a 100-miler, but I crewed for my friend's first, and for her second, crew could only be used in the first 50 miles.  Although she made it through her second just fine, she said she really missed having crew support, especially in those lonely hours at night.  If you get a chance, I highly recommend crewing for someone at one these things.  It gives you a whole new perspective on things.  It's one of the best times I've ever had.

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

crew could only be used in the first 50 miles

That sounds backwards (not that I know much). I was recently telling DW some of the stuff I read in my book of stories so far, and when she asked what a crew was for, I said I suppose to encourage the runner, and to keep them from running off a cliff in the latter part of the race, when they're tired, confused, hallucinatory, whatever.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

she asked what a crew was for, I said I suppose to encourage the runner, and to keep them from running off a cliff in the latter part of the race, when they're tired, confused, hallucinatory, whatever.

That's the pacer's job!

The crew shows up at each aid station, and besides providing encouragement, has all the runner's goodies: food he/she likes, fluids, change of clothes - whatever the runner wants at that point in the race.  When we paced Kate, we made sure she was drinking enough, had her Nutter Butter sandwich ready, had a new bottle of fluids ready to grab and go - there was a whole plan written out.

And yes, at Hundred in the Hood, it was ridiculous that the RD set up the race bass ackwards.  It was a tough course, and rough on the runners to not have crew available for the second half.

Leslie
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

And yes, at Hundred in the Hood, it was ridiculous that the RD set up the race bass ackwards.  It was a tough course, and rough on the runners to not have crew available for the second half.

I ran this race, but since I did not use a crew I guess I don't understand your post. Are you suggesting that the course should have been ran in reverse?

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I meant, wouldn't it be safer to allow crew on the second half than to allow crew on the first half; isn't the runner in more danger of being in possible trouble physically & mentally on the second half.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

I meant, wouldn't it be safer to allow crew on the second half than to allow crew on the first half; isn't the runner in more danger of being in possible trouble physically & mentally on the second half.

Agreed.

As it pertains to 100 in the Hood, I *think* the issue with this is the way the course was ran. A good chuck of the race went through the reservation and while they allowed runners, others were verbotten.

It's my understanding the RD has indicated the race WILL be ran in the opposite direction next year, so as to allow crew to be available to the runners during the second half.  Yes, the determination of the land as federal lands (or something like that) late in the game meant the course had to be re-routed from what it was originally to be.  A couple of my friends ran it.  One finished and one made it up to around Mile 90. 

Gumbee - How'd the course treat you?

Leslie
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Gumbee - How'd the course treat you?

It beat me like I owed it money Smile

Overall, I enjoyed the course, but found miles 55 though 75 hard (for me).

I was happy to have finished given my Cascade Crest DNF (at M53) a couple of weeks before.

It beat me like I owed it money Smile

And congratulations on finishing what I was told was a really tough course.

Leslie
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance