Ultra Runners

100 miler - how stupid would this be? (Read 799 times)

So I need confirmation... really I'll take it either way. Confirmation that this is possible or confirmation that it is stupid and I shouldn't even try.

I want to run a 100 miler and I want to run a local one that is in late August. This race is near where I grew up and it's a challenging one (20k elevation gain), but if I am going to do a 100M, I want this to be the first (maybe only ) one. I have only done a few 50ks, but plan on getting several more under my belt and plan on running a 50 miler in late July. The 50 miler will be tough enough, but should I even consider the 100M?

Also, I am running Boston and want to do well there, so likely wouldn't focus on 50 or 100M specific training until after that. I think I will have a pretty good base, but I'll just need to get on the trails a lot more.

So tell me what you think. Be honest, be harsh. Should I go for both the 50M and 100M? Other than terrain, what major training changes would I have to make after Boston?

~Sara
    It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great. ~ Jimmy Dugan

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Which race?

And there are more possibilities than you listed:

Stupid
       Should you run  No | No
      No | Yes

Yes | No  Yes | Yes

I like the bottom right choice...

Which race?

And there are more possibilities than you listed:

Stupid
         Should you run  No | No
        No | Yes

Yes | No  Yes | Yes

I like the bottom right choice...

The Cascade Crest 100M. I volunteered out there last year and hope to return. Smile Views were amazing.

MTA: I think jlynn did this one a couple years ago.

You're right... I did forget those other possibilities. Wink

~Sara
        It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great. ~ Jimmy Dugan

The King of Beasts

do the 100.

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”

Carl A

You'll have to work on slowing down, but once the 100 bug bites, it's pretty much hopeless. You're likely already infected, and might as well give in to it.

What I've learned so far is that it's difficult to prepare physically for a 100 - I mean, how much can you prepare your body for something like that? However, you'll need to train your mind to accept repeatedly what seems to be an irrational decision - continuing on. The most important thing is not so much the running, it's the not-stopping.

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

Carl A

do the 100.

and what he said.

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

The King of Beasts

However, you'll need to train your mind to accept repeatedly what seems to be an irrational decision - continuing on. The most important thing is not so much the running, it's the not-stopping.

and what he said.

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”

However, you'll need to train your mind to accept repeatedly what seems to be an irrational decision - continuing on.

And the hallucinations!   Go for it.  What do you have to lose?  Nada.

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Go for it!! 
                    AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

(Posting as someone who knows almost nothing about long trail runs)

Is it important to get a crew for 100M? I noticed a couple of the stories I read about people doing 100M, mentioned them having a support crew...

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Purdey

Self anointed title

Is it stupid? Yes.

Should you do it?  Definitely.

Bear in mind that a 100 is much more than twice as difficult as a 50.  Mainly for the mind.

Kalsarikännit

I may be the downer here.  Should you do a 100?  Absolutely.  Cascade Crest as a first?  Ehhh...

I understand that it is a special race to you, but it isn't going anywhere.  Races like Rocky Raccoon, Umstead, and Heartland are good first time 100s.  These races are hard enough without having to worry about loomimg cut-off times and big climbs.  (Cascade Crest does look beautiful, though...)

The most important thing is not so much the running, it's the not-stopping.

Besides the running, the fifty miler is a great opportunity to work on fueling and aid station management.  One important lesson that it took me waaaay too long to figure out:  BEWARE THE CHAIR!!!

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

You'll ruin your knees!

I may be the downer here.  Should you do a 100?  Absolutely.  Cascade Crest as a first?  Ehhh...

I understand that it is a special race to you, but it isn't going anywhere.  Races like Rocky Raccoon, Umstead, and Heartland are good first time 100s.  These races are hard enough without having to worry about loomimg cut-off times and big climbs.  (Cascade Crest does look beautiful, though...)

Besides the running, the fifty miler is a great opportunity to work on fueling and aid station management.  One important lesson that it took me waaaay too long to figure out:  BEWARE THE CHAIR!!!

I am going to echo some of what Jennifer said.  Yes, run a 100 if you are so inclined.  I do believe CC100 can be your first!  Maybe not in 2010... I would propose you get Boston out of the say, focus on your 50 miler in July and find another 50 or 100K to shoot for... BUT, target races in the mountains... For the 100K, Where's Waldo would be a good one to get you over the 50 mile mark and used to the massive climbs and descents you will face at CC100.  One thing about CC100 is the nastiest climbing and highest altitude are in the last 20 miles.  They don't call them the cardiac needles for nothing!  Another good 50 miler would be Squaw Peak or other mountain races with lots of altitude change. 

For me, if I am targeting a specific race, I will begin to train specifically 5-6 months before that race and will use shorter races for long training runs. 

Is it possible to run CC100 in 2010, sure.  If you delay a year, however, I think it could make a lot of difference.  But what do I know, I don't even like to DRIVE 100 miles!

Lynn B

MTA: oh, and I don't get Trent's chart at all...

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

I really appreciate all the responses. I don't know why I am so eager to do it, but I am. Glad to see I am in the good company of other idiots.

Jennifer - I appreciate the honesty. Really I do. And holy shit you've had a good year. Congrats! I thought about doing an "easier" one first, but it would mean much more to me to do this one first. My family is all in the area and it would be easy to train on the course. I think I would be much more mentally motivated on this course (and the mental part seems to be important). I ran my first 50k nearby and it was not an easy one by any means (8k+ of elevation gain). So the course itself doesn't scare me (too much).

I am going to echo some of what Jennifer said.  Yes, run a 100 if you are so inclined.  I do believe CC100 can be your first!  Maybe not in 2010... I would propose you get Boston out of the say, focus on your 50 miler in July and find another 50 or 100K to shoot for... BUT, target races in the mountains... For the 100K, Where's Waldo would be a good one to get you over the 50 mile mark and used to the massive climbs and descents you will face at CC100.  One thing about CC100 is the nastiest climbing and highest altitude are in the last 20 miles.  They don't call them the cardiac needles for nothing!  Another good 50 miler would be Squaw Peak or other mountain races with lots of altitude change. 

For me, if I am targeting a specific race, I will begin to train specifically 5-6 months before that race and will use shorter races for long training runs. 

Is it possible to run CC100 in 2010, sure.  If you delay a year, however, I think it could make a lot of difference.  But what do I know, I don't even like to DRIVE 100 miles!

MTA: oh, and I don't get Trent's chart at all...

Thanks Lynn. I hear you. I guess you could say I am impatient... and ignorant probably too. Trent's chart just points out that just because something is stupid, it doesn't mean you shouldn't do it.

~Sara

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I don't get Trent's chart at all...

There are four choices, not two.

1. Not stupid, don't run it

2. Not stupid, do run it

3. Stupid, don't run it

4. Stupid, but run the thing anyway