Ultra Runners

Eating on the Run (Read 603 times)

I need some help from you guys.  What are you eating on your LRs?  I'm having a terrible time with nausea and bloating.  I've been relying on bananas and potatoes, but (1) I'm sick of potatoes, and (2) Coach thinks the bananas are contributing to the bloating since they are absorbed more slowly into your system.  I can't do PBJ.  Peanut butter nauseates me even more so since my gall bladder was removed.  I've also been eating honey pretzel twists, bagel chips, Clif shot bloks, and brownie bites as treats.  I get sick of sweet stuff real quick.

Also, for your back-to-back LRs, what kind of foods are you eating and how often for your recovery eating?  My Sunday LRs after Saturday are getting hard - nausea again.  Like a lot of people, I have a lot of trouble eating after my long runs, and Sundays are becoming torturous re eating during and after my run.  Absolutely nothing sounds good.  I was a little bit better this past Saturday 'cause I downed a Boost as soon as I stopped running and started munching on a turkey sandwich.  However, my whole recovery eating Saturday was derailed by our 6.5 earthquake.  Sunday's run was horrible.

Any other suggestions re food would be most helpful.

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

You'll ruin your knees!

I need some help from you guys.  What are you eating on your LRs?  I'm having a terrible time with nausea and bloating.  I've been relying on bananas and potatoes, but (1) I'm sick of potatoes, and (2) Coach thinks the bananas are contributing to the bloating since they are absorbed more slowly into your system.  I can't do PBJ.  Peanut butter nauseates me even more so since my gall bladder was removed.  I've also been eating honey pretzel twists, bagel chips, Clif shot bloks, and brownie bites as treats.  I get sick of sweet stuff real quick.

Also, for your back-to-back LRs, what kind of foods are you eating and how often for your recovery eating?  My Sunday LRs after Saturday are getting hard - nausea again.  Like a lot of people, I have a lot of trouble eating after my long runs, and Sundays are becoming torturous re eating during and after my run.  Absolutely nothing sounds good.  I was a little bit better this past Saturday 'cause I downed a Boost as soon as I stopped running and started munching on a turkey sandwich.  However, my whole recovery eating Saturday was derailed by our 6.5 earthquake.  Sunday's run was horrible.

Any other suggestions re food would be most helpful.

I've had good luck with making a tortilla roll with sliced turkey and avacado.  Just plain avacado with salt is also appealing (particularly if you can keep it cold) when other ultra-esque fair is unappealing.  I will also use Boost during my long runs for the calories... 

Recovery?  Chocolate milk, cheeseburger, pizza... I have also been known to eat tuna straight out of those Starkist pouches... (white albacore), toss in a cracker if you like, but it makes my mouth really dry. 

Hang in there, it doesn't always get worse!

Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

I have moved away from gu or cliff shots and really only use them when racing.  I generally eat bananas, oranges, clementines, pb&j, chocolate, ham sandwhiches and/or any other left overs that pack well.  On Sat the pasta from Wed night fit just right into a plastic baggie and Sunday an orange on the side of the road hit the spot.

As for recovery I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE chocolate milk.  I've been know(like Sunday) to eat tuna right from the can putting in a spoonful of mayo with a bag of crackers.  Whatever is easy is what I eat.... and, of course, a nap when the DW and DKs let me.

D

The turkey and avocado roll ups and maybe some kind of pasta (of course that's okay cold) might work well.  The roll ups could be cut into pieces to shove in my waist pack.  Maybe that, combined with a few pieces of banana, would be the ticket.  I'm very that I can't eat the PBJs.  I always really enjoyed those.  Oh well.

I never thought about the tuna for recovery, but makes perfect sense.  And I LOVE tuna.

Thanks for the feedback.  I'm in a "running food rut."

Leslie
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

One great trick I have picked up from a lady at an ultra even was to mix your carb types so as to allow you stomach work at different rates.

I have a few little items that I use that have worked wonders to "trick" my tummy when using high and low GI foods.I won't mention branded foods as the USA and UK differ a lot so will use generic terms

In order of intake

• cereals/muesli bars
            • Raisins/fruit chips (fructose)
            • Carb Gel (glucose)
            • Fruit Cake (fat/sucrose/fructose)
            • Off the shelf banana milk shake (fat/sucrose)
            • Salted Potato wedges

The difficulty I have and I know  few people who are similar is that my digestion effectively closes down after about 8 hours and so can only take liquid energy so my milkshakes and carb gels come in handy but will try and get protein in at some stage in the form of tuna sandwiches or a bacon roll.

Something that I found I crave is really strong flavours so have craved Marmite and even anchovy paste just to counteract the sweetness!!!!!

Jerry
            A runners blog-updated daily

anchovy paste . . .

Okay.  All I can is that just sounds nasty.

I use Succeed sports drinks (powders used in water).  Up 'til now, I've only used the Ultra, which is carbo replacement, and have only  just begun using Amino beginning around Mile 18 of my LR to include protein replacement, as well.  Those are fairly easy on my stomach.  It's the solids that are killing me.  I'm wondering if banana chips would be easier than fresh bananas (plus they take up less room in the waist pack).  Hmmm.

Well, I'll have to go cruise the grocery aisles again . . .

Leslie
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

I was on a pack run the other week and I was listening to a conversation between two people and this guy was saying "I just LOoooVVVe bananas, I squidge it up in my mouth until it is gloop and then just swallow bits of it over a period of about about a mile".....yes, he is a freak! I mean....gloopy banana without anchovy paste, that's just weird.

On a serious note, are you drinking properly when you are eating on the run? Even though I use Nuun on big distances, at about 3 hours into a run I will drink a salts replacement drink (post-diarrhoea type) which gets the the salts back in balance.....would that help get things "moving"?

Jerry
                A runners blog-updated daily

I love oranges during long runs.  I generally use hammer gel because I'm usually not too interested in solid foods once the hours tick by.  I cannot eat bananas before or during runs due to the digestion issues they cause.  It is my understanding that the more raw the banana is, the harder it is on your digestive system. 

An Endurance Nutrition book I was reading says you need to take in carbs within 30 minutes of finishing a long run to aid in recovery.  It also said something about having a meal within 2 hours of finishing.  Usually I am not in the mood for solid foods after a long run.  Sometimes I drink chocolate milk.  Sometimes I drink Ensure.  A friend of mine gave me a packet of p90x recovery powder which tasted like an orange cream popsicle. 

Anyway, you might want to check out the book. 

http://www.amazon.com/Endurance-Sports-Nutrition-Suzanne-Girard/dp/0736064710/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1263260127&sr=1-1

Live the Adventure. Enjoy the Journey. Be Kind. Have Faith!

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

This stuff is loaded with carbs and sodium and caffeine; it is great when your stomach shuts down.

You'll ruin your knees!

This stuff is loaded with carbs and sodium and caffeine; it is great when your stomach shuts down.

fixed it for you...

and this...

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Never underestimate the healing powers of a couple of beers, late into an ultra.  :-)
                        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Pepsi.  Blech.

That said, late in an ultra, I'll drink any of em.  At Strolling Jim last Spring, the Food Lion brand was just fine, thank you very much.

Volunteered at a 50k this weekend and Coke was the #1 seller. Pringles, cantalope, and pretzels were also pretty popular.

~Sara
                            It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great. ~ Jimmy Dugan

Thanks for all the input.  And for the record, I'm a Coke gal.

It doesn't help that I have a sensitive stomach in the first place.  Too much sugary sweet stuff will send me over the edge.  What a PITA.

Drinking the Boost and munching on a turkey sandwich after my LR on Saturday helped my start on my way with the recovery eating, but our earthquake threw my plans into a tailspin.

The Ultra and Amino provide carb (Ultra/Amino) and protein (Amino) replacements, plus I use S-caps for salt replacement.  {sigh} We all are a science experiment of one, aren't we?

Leslie
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

I'm noboby, who are you?

Okay.  All I can is that just sounds nasty.

I use Succeed sports drinks (powders used in water).  Up 'til now, I've only used the Ultra, which is carbo replacement, and have only  just begun using Amino beginning around Mile 18 of my LR to include protein replacement, as well.  Those are fairly easy on my stomach.  It's the solids that are killing me.  I'm wondering if banana chips would be easier than fresh bananas (plus they take up less room in the waist pack).  Hmmm.

Well, I'll have to go cruise the grocery aisles again . . .

If you like the succeed products and solid food bothers you, you'll have to look for more liquid drinks. I have an iron gut and can eat eye of Newt with road kill, so I can't  help much with drink except to use S!Clip. Just to let you know that clip was created by Karl as a liquid food.  Please note that it also has fats and protein. You need balance and one of the problems with doing only carbs is your  gut gets acidic. - sound familiar? By the way, clip needs to be premixed at home,it does not dissolve well from the packet on the trail.

Besides variety that is why PB&J AND cheese sandwiches are on aid station tables - fats and protein. For long runs where I go past my car/cooler, I have egg salad along with Snickers, Payday, Milkyway. Again fats and protein and carbs.

In a way it's good that you are experiencing this in training so you can get your arms around this race day.   Whatever race you are doing you will need to know what they are serving so you have some idea what  you can or can not eat. Think about the foods that you like to eat at home and try them. I wouldn't give up on solid foods yet until you  experiment some more.

As a side bar bananas are absorbed fairly quickly. Are you sure the bloating is from food and not from lack of salt? Is the bloating first, then eat, then gut goes south?  Try some chips or s!caps.

Just remembered, I also use Cytomax but only as variety in flavor. As Karl pointed out to me and verified, Cytomax has too much Potassium so It's not product to use all the time.

What ever food you find works for you, try to stay away from them during your taper. Wean yourself from the taste so your taste buds and stomach won't whine, not X again.

Sorry about the randomness but I'm taking a trip down memory lane when I used to have problems. In any case let us know what you try and results.