Ultra Runners

Antelope Island 100 (Read 24 times)

Pain is my friend

Antelope 100 was a blast.  Weather ended up great other than the killer head winds.  I had many ups and downs like most all 100 miles go.  I finished in 20:36 and 8th over all.

Take away points

It doesn't matter how well or hard you train for a 100 miler, it still might not end up as you had planed.

Felt fatigued and tired at mile 15.  What the hell? I may have not consumed enough calories. I bounced back.

Do you push hard in to the wind when you are on a high or wait till you turn around with a tail wind?

Did I over train for this race?

ATY 24   141.445 2019 1st

Bear 100 22:08 2021 

Jackpot 100 Feb 14:59 - 5th

Pulse endurance 48 hr 175.3 miles

Bonnevile Backyard ultra 

Ute 100 Aug

24 hour loop race?

T Hound

Slower but happier

Krash glad you got it done.  8th overall is impressive.  There so many factors its impossible to prepare for all of them and some you cant.  I think its part of the excitement but also frustration.

2020 goal:  couch to 5K, currently working on the couch block

berylrunner

Rick

Nicely done Krash.  Fast time and great placement.  Congrats.

Early fatigue - maybe the start time.  I am always fatigued in the afternoon.

Wind - headwind, maybe survival mode and then take advantage of the tail wind if you are lucky and get one.  One of my worst runs was 10 miles of headwind and right when I turned around the front passed and I got it going back.  Thought I would never get through that one.

Over training - Only you can answer that.  However, I did notice a lot of big weeks.  Back to back to back.  Did you ever take a recovery week?  Also, long run paces were fast, but maybe that is what you fast guys do?

Great race no matter how you look at it.  Take a couple of recovery weeks and come run Zion.

12-22   Last One Standing  - dnf 37 miles

1-23  Sun Marathon - 3:53

3-4-23  Red Mountain 55k - 7:02

4-15-23  Zion 100 - 27:59

paul2432

Nice job Krash.

Common advice for a 100 seems to be "take what the course gives you".  In that light I would not push hard against a wind regardless of how I felt.

Was 20:36 significantly more than  your goal?

Pain is my friend

Thank everyone.  I have never run that many miles leading up to a 100 miler.  I did have a kick back week about 6 weeks before the race.  I know the head wind and cramping played a big factor on my race. It may have been just one of those days..  I was shooting for a sub 19 hour or better. I know there are 100 things that could go right or wrong during a 100 miler.  Time to prep for the next one.

berlyrunne r- Wish I could come down and do Zions 100.

Nice job Krash.

Common advice for a 100 seems to be "take what the course gives you".  In that light I would not push hard against a wind regardless of how I felt.

Was 20:36 significantly more than  your goal?

ATY 24   141.445 2019 1st

Bear 100 22:08 2021 

Jackpot 100 Feb 14:59 - 5th

Pulse endurance 48 hr 175.3 miles

Bonnevile Backyard ultra 

Ute 100 Aug

24 hour loop race?

RWD

Wow!!! Way to go. Impressive to keep persevering in the wind. That can be so draining. A noon start, hey? That seems neat. Would be great for someone like me who prefers sleeping in and who runs in the afternoons mostly.

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

congrats! that look like a nice course! i would also love the noon start. also like the 10M loops in the second 50 to break it up. i dont know what i would do in the wind, maybe try to keep a consistent/ sustainable effort? isnt it always windy there?

Bridle Trails 50k 1-13-24 5:39

Cottontail 6 Hour 4-13-24

Cougar Long Series (May,June,July,Aug 2024)

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24