Ultra Runners

Mental training for first 100 miler/24hr run (Read 245 times)

andrew.albright

I'm kicking around the idea of doing a 100 miler or 24 hr race later spring/early summer since I'm planning on running as many miles as possible over the next 2-3 months (hopefully average of at least 65-80).   I've done four 50ks now soon to be six. 

It seems that I should be in decent enough physical shape to tackle running for 24hrs+ but I'm wondering how to train or even figure out if this is something that I'm mentally capable of.

Has anyone just gone ahead and done "crazy" things that are unappealing to replicate the mental difficulties faced during a 24 hr race?  Here are some ideas I had:

1) Some night when I'm tired and ready to go to bed, start out at 9pm and either run 3hrs on a track or loops in my neighborhood (2.5 laps per mile)

2) Do a hard workout/race and then wake up at 3 in the morning to run 3-4 hours - not fast, just a pace that I might expect to run/walk at the end of a 24hr race

Has anyone ever taken this approach?  Any other ideas? 

Some 100s offer shorter runs or training camps on the course.  Being prepared for race-day conditions is important.

If you are doing a 24 hour track ultra, then go to the track and run for 8 hours (reverse direction at 4 hours). 

The mental aspect is more about time than distance.  It is a real test to keep going after 6 hours.  There will be a second down point around 18-20 hours -- but save that for your race.

It seems that I should be in decent enough physical shape to tackle running for 24hrs+ but I'm wondering how to train or even figure out if this is something that I'm mentally capable of.

I think you won't really know if you're mentally capable of it until you actually do one. Just resolve that you will keep moving for 24 hours. It's funny how many reasons your mind will come up with to try to get you to stop. Don't listen to it.

I did practice the 2 things you listed. Basically I ran at all hours of the day (and night), in all weather conditions. There's nothing like run/walking in the rain, past a bunch of teenagers who are smoking on the front porch at 2am. And doing it multiple times...my block is 0.85 miles and I ran for a few hours.
        TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

There's nothing like run/walking in the rain, past a bunch of teenagers who are smoking on the front porch at 2am.

Smile

steph  

Gumby66

I have no desire to do a lap style event so can't help you with that but my work travel affords me a great training opportunity. Going for a long run right after a 30 hour intercontinental flight is a great way to simulate the mental funk you get late in a 100. Not to mention, your loved ones think you're crazy/idiotic which simulates ultras too.

Ditto on training whenever/wherever. getting yourself out the door when the weather sucks or you don't know the course is great motivational training.