Ultra Runners

Tahoe Rim Trail ultras (Read 1123 times)

Mr G did, in fact, finish the 100.

In  31:43.

Drove straight back, or should I say my saftey runner driver spent most of the time behind the wheel.

I am at work right now

Running is stoopid

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn

xor

Dude!  Look at you.

Purdey

Self anointed title

Well played Sir.

Imminent Catastrophe

Race report overdue.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Goooo Gumbee! Nice sneaky 100 miler! Congrats to dspeer and Steve_S!!!

~Sara
            It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great. ~ Jimmy Dugan

Imminent Catastrophe

Someone's posted some pics. Looks like wet feet, all right.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

jjameson

Finished the 50K.  Will have pictures soon.  Stunning course.

Joe J

Overall, this race went so, so much better for me than Kettle Moraine last year. My time doesn't really reflect that... but some foot stuff (<-- see pic) slowed me down from about mile 30 on. Couldn't really do anything on the downhills, but I went up very well.

The foot issue in the pic above hit its worst point at about 70 miles, after finishing the Red House loop the second time in almost 3 hours. I really had convinced myself to quit, and needed a phone call to my wife to get my butt out of the chair and back on the trail. That always works. I iced, took 4 Ibuprofen, and the aid station doc told me it was just tendonitis and I wouldn't do any permanent damage. Off I went again.

After that, I was much better off mentally and finished pretty peppy. I even ran across the finish line and did the heel kick at the end. See the proof here. This is borrowed from Jeff, after seeing his finish photo doing that a few years back or so. And yes, you can't really see it on the poor quality video, but my wife did trip and fall coming into the finish line. Nice way to finish!

What is it about me and foot problems??? 

Tahoe is definitely a tough course... and the downhills were the toughest part for me. I could climb well, and I passed people all the time going up. On downhills, though, I couldn't run after 30 and had to somewhat shuffle. I guess I train better for that part? More downhill running?

jjameson

Love the pics.  I hated the downhill in the red house loop because it is so steep and quadtrashing ....... and you know you have to climb all the way back out!

Very scenic, when I wasn't looking at the trail 8 feet in front of me.  Only fell once one mile from the finish.

Loved the traverses after Snow Valley Peak and the views off to the right of Lake Tahoe.

Several finishers of the 50k said their Garmins said 34 miles.

Joe

jjameson

Also liked the "ass-slide" between Tunnel Creek and Hobart.  Just sat down and slid down the 12 foot cliff!

Holy fat foot! I had some tendon issues in my first 100 and mine swelled up a bit too. How is it feeling now?

~Sara
                          It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great. ~ Jimmy Dugan

Someone's posted some pics. Looks like wet feet, all right.

Great pictures.  The Creek crossing during the Red House loop was the only place I had issues with wet feet, but coupled with the sandy trails I developed some pretty nice blisters.

I had lots of issues with nausea but I don't know if it was from the altitude or not eating enough.

I suck at climbing hills

I suck at descending hills.

I really suck at running at night.

And I fell a few times, but...

I finished in 31:30, I earned my first buckle and I had a blast.

I am already looking for the next one.

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

I'll get a RR up tonight (almost done).

Here are my pics as seen on FB:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150315738865639.384641.514230638

• Black Canyon 100k
                              • RRR
                              • Zane Grey 100k
                              • High Lonesome 100
                              • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
                              • The Bear 100
                              • Javelina Jundred (?)

The King of Beasts

Good work yall, even if you are really really not smart.

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”