Ultra Runners

Ultra Entry Prices (Read 398 times)

Here is an article about how the cost to enter races is sky-rocketing.

Is it the same everywhere else?  If so any ideas why.

Is it just simple economics and this is the price we are prepared to pay?

“Attitude is the Difference Between an Ordeal and an Adventure”

Goals 2016

Do stuff

Purdey

Self anointed title

Over in the UK it depends who is organising the race: for profit organisation - expensive, individual or non-profit = cheap. We have some ultras which cost less than $10. The 24hr race I did cost £24 I think. The 145 mi GUCR will cost only £30.

it depends who is organising the race: for profit organisation - expensive, individual or non-profit = cheap. 

+1

Plus, sometimes what you get for the price of the race may vary beyond just the $/km.  I've run fatass races that are free, but don't have any aid or even timing.  You write your name down on a list and start running.  Then enter your time when finished.  

OTOH, the more goodie bag stuff, prize money, aid stations, the higher the price.  Ice Age 50 may be more expensive than other local 50 milers (approximately $90) but the aid stations and support are amazing.  Good food and beer afterward.  I would pay this any day for such a well run race.

DoppleBock

If you are driven by cost - There are some great althernatives in my area

The state of WI largest running club has many club events that are really cheap -

$10 - 1/2 marathon (Striders 1/2)

$10 - For a 50k (John Dick - Crusty)

They have other races that are more, but usually reasonable

Glacial 50 Mile ~ $60 if you sign up early and it includes a really nice fleece pullover

Then you can pick and choose based on value within the state - There are enough quality marathons that are $35-$60 if you sign up early

There are 5k-10ks that will offer a no t-shirt option for reasonable

5M Pittlsville Heart and Sole = $7 w/o T-shirt and $14 with t-shirt

Then there are races at the opposite end of spectrum - Most are bearable if you sign up early, but jump into them at the last moment (Like many people do for a 5k) and they get crazy - $30+ for a 5K, so thanks

But overall races are getting more expensive -

I am going to be somewhere at the end of the month with my family and want to run either the 5k or 10k they have there that day - But I am having a harder time spending the $30 ... I am sure I will, but I can golf 18 holes this time a year for $20.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

DoppleBock

Yes, if you enjoy post race like faltfooter and I do - Some of these races get to be a much better value 

Even at Pittsville $7 no t-shirt race, they have post race food (Ok) and a barrel fo beer - This year I managed 11 beers before the barrel kicked ~  Heck the race was free and I only pad $7 / 11 = 64 cents a beer.

OTOH, the more goodie bag stuff, prize money, aid stations, the higher the price.  Ice Age 50 may be more expensive than other local 50 milers (approximately $90) but the aid stations and support are amazing.  Good food and beer afterward.  I would pay this any day for such a well run race.

DoppleBock

Back to ultras - As long as we sign up early - We have some reasonable race prices - All these were based on early registration, but I listed Chippewa for both as the cost doubled and you had to pull the trigger 5+ months in advance

Ice Age 50M ~ $90 / $75 for BLS members (Many aide stations - Great post race food / beer) $75/80km ~ 94 cents

Crusty 50k $10 = 20 cents

Glacial 50M $60 - 75 cents

KM100M $125 - 78 cents

KM 100k $90 - 70 cents

Zumbro 100 (MN) - $185 - $1.15

Chippewa 50k $30 early register (5 months early) then goes to $60 - 60cents / $1.20

Afton 50k (MN) $60 - $1.20

Keys Peak 50k $85 - $1.70

Badgerland Striders 24 hour race $70

Mad City 50k $90 - $1.80 - Received a nice running hat, shirt, hard cover book and 30 count box of chocolate truffels

Tuscobia winter ultra 150 mile $120 - 50 cents

Tuscobia winter ultra 75 mile $75 - 63 cents

Tuscobia winter ultra  50k $60 - $1.20

Wild Duluth 50k - $50 - $1.00

Wild Duluth 100k -$75 - 75 cents

Chicago Lakefront 50k - $40 = 80 cents

Chicago Lakefront 50M - 50 = 63 cents

There are a few marathons that push the money train - Ice Breaker Indoor

Ice Breaker Indoor Marathon $95

Cold Medal Challenge (1/2 sat and full sunday) $160

Several of the the races around here offer free or highly discounted race fees for volunteers.  Many have a bring a volunteer, race for free policy also.

Plus, as a volunteer, you can drink the RD's beer and hang out with ultra runners all day long.

Here in Arkansas, we have a handful of races that are free/cheap. 

I joined the trail/ultra series, and I think you can run all of the races for a grand total of $200 or so. And most of the races are free. Pretty cool!

Yes, if you enjoy post race like faltfooter and I do - Some of these races get to be a much better value 

Even at Pittsville $7 no t-shirt race, they have post race food (Ok) and a barrel fo beer - This year I managed 11 beers before the barrel kicked ~  Heck the race was free and I only pad $7 / 11 = 64 cents a beer.

I think we need a Pittsville in NZ Smile

I just did the cheapest ultra on the NZ list  ($15 for 66km)  Only had 6 entries, but there were a whole bunch of relay runners/walkers to chat to.

Got a certificate with my time on it and a spot prize. Beer and fries at the end were cheap too.

At the other end of the scale I did one of the more expensive NZ ultras earlier this year (as did PerfesserR), which had buffet aid stations, fantastic scenery, and ice-breaker finishers t-shirt, a nice wooden medal and one free beer at the finish (managed to pinch a 2nd :-) )

I restrict myself to one expensive ultra / year and as many cheap ones that i can convince the DW to let me enter.

Goals 2016

Do stuff

Several of the the races around here offer free or highly discounted race fees for volunteers.  Many have a bring a volunteer, race for free policy also.

Plus, as a volunteer, you can drink the RD's beer and hang out with ultra runners all day long.

That is a damn good idea

Goals 2016

Do stuff

On On

NJ Trail Series has a similar policy in place.  You earn credits for volunteering and can use them to pay for future entry fees.

Races through out the year range from 1 - 4 credits.  Each credit is 4 hours of volunteering.

Volunteers are always welcome to help empty the beer cooler.