Ultra Runners

3 Days at the Fair 2013 Results (Read 70 times)

On On

I added links to the Results and Lap splits onto www.njtrailseries.com/fair

Serge Arbona hit 151 miles in the 24 Hour

Brian Teason did 139 in the 24 Hour.

Marylou Corino set the Canadian National record for 72 hours at 253 miles

Darren Worts set a course record for 72 hours at 276 miles.  The USATF does not recognize 72 hours as an official distance so there was no ranking for an American record.  It is a very good performance but not the best known or even within distance of the best known.  Just as one example Joe Fejes did 323 in 72 hours at ATY.

Kalsarikännit

I see the whole McNulty clan got some good miles in!

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

DoppleBock

I have always had a deep respect for Serge - He is just an amazing athlete - Consistently performing at a high level

I added links to the Results and Lap splits onto www.njtrailseries.com/fair

Serge Arbona hit 151 miles in the 24 Hour

Brian Teason did 139 in the 24 Hour.

Marylou Corino set the Canadian National record for 72 hours at 253 miles

Darren Worts set a course record for 72 hours at 276 miles.  The USATF does not recognize 72 hours as an official distance so there was no ranking for an American record.  It is a very good performance but not the best known or even within distance of the best known.  Just as one example Joe Fejes did 323 in 72 hours at ATY.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

A few friends ran this-it sounds like a great event. There was beer.

On On

A few friends ran this-it sounds like a great event. There was beer.

If I am the RD there will be beer.  That is an absolute.

My first time at this race, loved that 1-mile exact course.

I did the 12-hour since I am just coming off a 24 hour a month ago.  Hit my "B" Goal of 55 miles.  I really had some issues during hours 3-6 for some reason, only moving at 4 mph pace during that stretch.  Nearly fell asleep while walking at hour 6, thought I was going to have to call it quits.  Complete mental exhaustion slammed me at about 3am, 6 hrs in to the 12-hour race.   But I caught a second wind, got in a nice running grove hour 7-12, so got a decent finish (for me).

Speaking of decent finishes, even at my fastest in the 12 hour, Serge was blowing by me very late in his 24 hour.  I don't think he walks, ever. Very impressive to watch.  The McNultys are a great family and their kiddos are superb as well.   A great event, and another mistake I made was I did not know you could bring beer....  Next year I will go back fully prepared.

Smile

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

Feeling the growl again

If I am the RD there will be beer.  That is an absolute.

You are a good man.  If my injury issues ever let me consider these types of events I hope to do one of your races.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

DoppleBock

I have seen Serge race many times - Every racer is different.  But 151 miles in 24 hours is 6.3 MPH.  If everytime you seen him he was moving faster than this, then he either took a few breaks or walked.

I am a big Serge fan and have seen him race 3 times, but I was also racing, so I could never connect the dots.  I have never seen him walk, so I assume he takes a few breaks.

Phil McCarthy, I have never seen walk, but I have seen him take 3-5 minute breaks when it is going poorly.  I have also seen Phil "Run" at a ver slow pace ~ Maybe 5MPH at best.  So I can connect the dots with his early speed and his end result.

I run pretty slow the whole time ~ Being lapped constantly by those 2, I also walk at least once per hour from hour 2 to the finish.  I will stop to stretch occassionally.  I have tried to run in the 1st 12 hours of the race, without walking and it has ended poorly.  But to be fair, it has ended poorly most the time anyway ~ the 24 is a cruel race.  That is why I am so impressed with Serge, he has put up 150+ many times and overall one of the most consistent men's performers.

Speaking of decent finishes, even at my fastest in the 12 hour, Serge was blowing by me very late in his 24 hour.  I don't think he walks, ever. Very impressive to watch.

DoppleBock

You could do a 6 hour after the beer mile around your dirt track.

You are a good man.  If my injury issues ever let me consider these types of events I hope to do one of your races.

Feeling the growl again

You could do a 6 hour after the beer mile around your dirt track.

I would probably need to continue drinking a beer an hour just to keep my hips/back loose enough to run.  I'm sure that would end poorly.

My issues started when I started mixing in longer ultra-oriented stuff, it's going to be awhile before I try it again.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

On On

I would probably need to continue drinking a beer an hour just to keep my hips/back loose enough to run.  I'm sure that would end poorly.

My issues started when I started mixing in longer ultra-oriented stuff, it's going to be awhile before I try it again.

First part about the beer making things better for awhile, there was a guy with a sore ankle who prescribed to this method of pain relief.  Actually we both started doing the beer marathon.  He said the beer made running much easier.  By beer 10 he was in his tent taking a nap.  I went over to wake him up, got two more laps out of him but he stopped drinking.

Second part, Brian Teason, who just got 139 miles at 3 Days is in his early 50s.  You have plenty of time to get around to doing a 24 hour race.

Feeling the growl again

Second part, Brian Teason, who just got 139 miles at 3 Days is in his early 50s.  You have plenty of time to get around to doing a 24 hour race.

Yup, I'm hoping I'm down but not out.  PT, PT, PT.

bhearn

So how different is 24 from 12? I got 73.6 in my last 12, ran the whole way, didn't slow down. It wasn't a goal race. I would like to think I could run a 24 as well -- not as fast -- but I do remember thinking towards the end that no way would I ever want to run a 24. Of course, now that I'm not running, I really want to.

Dopple, on Serge, I do remember hearing one of his crew saying "He is lying down for awhile", so appears his method is to go into the tent and lay down for a time.  Never walking though, either running a good pace, or at full idle resting in the tent.  He sure gets it done though.

And BBHearn,

So how different is 24 from 12? I got 73.6 in my last 12, ran the whole way, didn't slow down. It wasn't a goal race. I would like to think I could run a 24 as well -- not as fast -- but I do remember thinking towards the end that no way would I ever want to run a 24. Of course, now that I'm not running, I really want to.

At hour 6 of the 12 hour, feeling worse than I ever have and my mentality was "Never going to run one of these races again"      2 days later, I really can't wait for the next one on the calendar.

.   ---  Seems alot of us folks really look forward to these length races, but always hit a point somewhere in the race where we are cursing ourselves for having actually paid money to put themselves through such torture.  At least that is my experience, and surprisingly i felt worst in the 12 hour race, not the 24 I did a month ago.  That one actually went alot better even though it was longer.  But indeed, interesting how the mind can go from "no way" to "can't wait" in a relatively short timespan....

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

DoppleBock

I have found that 13-14 hours is when things will go south fast if they are going to.

In the 24 hour races I have done, I have been 74 - 81 miles at 12 hours.  Only twice was I able to convert that into a good race (147 / 154) out of 8 tries.