Ultra Runners

North Coast 24 (Read 1194 times)

Training begins tonight. Baby is sleeping rather predictably, so I should be able to safely leave the house for decent chunks at a time at night.

My plan during the week will be to initially go out late @ night 2 hours, and do 4 miles @ lunch. I'll stretch the evening runs to 3 hours within the next week or two, and then mix in some early morning runs. Longer timed runs on the weekends--but will go very slow with lots of walking. Since Im training solely for the 24 hour race--pace really isnt a concern at all.

DoppleBock

Bumpidy Bump

Now that Grandma's Marathon is 3 days past - It is time to start training again.  I am going to have to find a balance between Leadville training (8/20) and Northcoast training (9/17-18)

If I were doing just Leadville - I would do

1 x  Speed workout a week

1 x  Long Hill Repeats (16-30 miles worth)

1 x Hilly trail run (4-6 hours)

If I were doing just NorthCoast - I would do

1 x speed workout each week

1 x 4 hour flat road run

1 x 5-7 hour flat road run

So how to merry them together?

I am thinking

1 x speed workout each week

1 x long hill repeats each week

**  Althernate weeks of

- 5-7 hour long road run

- 4-6 hour hilly trail run

Or maybe I need to think in terms of 8 or 10 day weeks and do all 4 every 10 days?

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

You'll ruin your knees!

DB, I like what you are thinking - alternating long road runs and long trail runs.  Maybe stop alternating once you get closer to L'ville and just do the trail runs, then switch to road-only stuff afterward (once you start running again).  I would also suggest that you practice on trails at night and maybe even try to get some "through the night" training.  I know with your 24 hour stuff, you are used to running sleepy, but it may be beneficial to do it on trails.  This will help get your lighting plans down and you can ust your long hilly trail runs to accomplish this... just head out at midnight or after sunset and run until daylight.  I found these types of runs to be very effective in preparing for nights on the trail. 

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

DoppleBock

I have done the last 4-5 longer trail runs during the week and get 1-1.5 hours of after dark running on some technical trails.  I will probably do 2-3 eventually.  I am not one that will train by running through the night.  I understand the theory, but I have never had a problem getting "up" for the occassion.  I tend to just get meaner and more animalistic after dark - I like to hunt ... other ultrarunners!

You'll ruin your knees!

I have done the last 4-5 longer trail runs during the week and get 1-1.5 hours of after dark running on some technical trails.  I will probably do 2-3 eventually.  I am not one that will train by running through the night.  I understand the theory, but I have never had a problem getting "up" for the occassion.  I tend to just get meaner and more animalistic after dark - I like to hunt ... other ultrarunners!

I totally get that... late night, you see a light bobbing on the trail ahead... you begin stalking and adjust your posture to make sure you look as fresh as possible as you go by... stealing any energy the other runner has left... LOVE IT!  Yeah, I was better in the dark!

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

injuries have shelved me til now..Now I just have to tough it out. Ive committed to raising money for a local charity. I know I can get in decent running shape in the less than 2 months I have until this race. Going to get in lots of long late night run/walks and obsess over my strategy.

DoppleBock

Sorry to hear it about injuries

I really have had mostly self imposed lack of wanting to train and control food.  This has left me in a poor position currently - needed to train like a maniac and lose 30# whilst I taper - run - recover from Leadville.  Less than 6 weeks to NorthCoast 24.

I see that there are > 155 people signed up of the 200 limit.  I am sure a few will not show - But 200 would be a lot on the course. 

Kalsarikännit

I'm out.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

DoppleBock

I am very sorry to hear that  - But you do need to heal 

I am committed to give it my best ... as crappy as that will be.  With only 2 spots on the line - I do not think I can steal one this year at NC24 ... but who knows. 

I'm out.

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

I'm out.

Crap. Sad

Here - have a beer with me while I nurse my foot before CC100.  Clown

Liz

pace sera, sera

Kalsarikännit

I will gladly have a beer with you. I like that this time it features 100% less hillbillies.

Is the foot better than it was at Hawthorn?

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

I will gladly have a beer with you. I like that this time it features 100% less hillbillies.

Hillbilly is being nice.  Really - that is not how all of my home state is.... but damn that was bad scene... 

• Black Canyon 100k
                          • RRR
                          • Zane Grey 100k
                          • High Lonesome 100
                          • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
                          • The Bear 100
                          • Javelina Jundred (?)
                          Buzzie

Bacon Party!

Are you sure about the hillbillies?? Consider that we might be drinking:

The bad Hawthorn foot is much better, thank you!

But... I landed funny on the good foot a few weeks ago and it's been catawampus ever since. Yesterday, I started to feel an ominous pain - reminiscent of a stress reaction...been poking at it since and all seems well, but I'm spooked. Roll eyes

You still fighting the pain in your butt?

Liz

pace sera, sera

Im still in with tapered expectations. The PF (Im assuming) is really hobbling me. Hurts more in my daily activities than while running--my concern isnt so much the foot pain..but that its messing with my form and that I will have a knee issue. Ramping up very quickly--but will be doing all running at a very slow pace to help abovoid injury and to get used to the pace of race day.

If anyone wants to get together Friday night--let me know. I'm staying at my dad's house--but he wont be there, so I am free for dinner..

On On

I see that there are > 155 people signed up of the 200 limit.  I am sure a few will not show - But 200 would be a lot on the course. 

I found out about 2 weeks ago that my wife and I will be there this year.  We have been asked to do the timing for the event.  Our past experience with 3 Days at the Fair showed the race organizers we know how to handle a 24 Hour event.

I wondered how 200 people on the course would work out.  The course is almost exactly the same size as the 3 Days course (.90 vs .85) and there are times that portions of our course feel crowded.  The timing area is one section that it starts to feel crowded.  People after awhile start to run in groups and the timing tower is only 10ft wide.  If you have 3 people walking abreast and 1 or 2 runners trying to run through it can feel crowded.

I look forward to meeting you guys in person and possibly having a beer together on Sunday morning.

ps. the organizers seem to expect to hit the 200 number.