Ultra Runners

Umstead anyone? (Read 41 times)

I manned the Jenn and Tonic Aid Station last year for 8 hours. This year I'll be running. I completed 100 miles at Croatan this past November but my training has been very subpar. No telling what happens at Umstead next week.

Anyone else running Umstead?

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I manned the Jenn and Tonic Aid Station last year for 8 hours. This year I'll be running. I completed 100 miles at Croatan this past November but my training has been very subpar. No telling what happens at Umstead next week.

Anyone else running Umstead?

Not me, but I'm considering adding Croatan to my schedule. What can you tell me about it?

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Croatan is a 1.3 mile loop. About half is in the woods, the other half out in the open running over bridges over the water. Very flat, very stable footing. I can't imagine a better place to hit 100 miles in 24 hours. The area overall is a bit sparse and a long drive from Raleigh to the coast but manageable. I would say that if it fits your schedule then don't hold back. It was  a lot of fun and well managed. I used it as a train up and second chance for a 100 mile effort since I could register for Croatan and start training in the spring and Umstead is a crap shoot for registration and you have to wait till September to register. I didn't want a summer of ultra training to go to waste.

There are hotels nearby but I paid for camping Friday night to Monday morning so I could sleep all day Sunday if needed.  I just brought along my camping one man tent and it worked fine. There are showers there and a few stores about a mile away. It was nice being so close to the start line and so close to a shower and bed afterwards. No driving either way. Cost was $60 for 3 nights. It's a 2-3 hop, skip and jump to the start line. It takes a bit longer to hobble/stagger back after running 24 hours but I think the distance was the same Smile

There is only one aid station and that's plenty. It has everything you need. There's water, small snacks, and they have pizza, burgers, and soup. They also had a large 12x20ft tent/room set up for runners to change or get out of the elements. A few portapotties and a timing tent and that's about it. Everything you need.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Thanks! I'll have to check the logistics to see if it is close enough to drive down from Philly or fly. Most of the ultras I've run have been fixed time races on small loops, so that suits me just fine. Any possibility that you'll be back this year?

2024 Races:

05/11 - D3 50K

. Any possibility that you'll be back this year?

Unlikely. I'm looking for a large marathon to run. It's been a while since I've gotten out on teh road with the masses and I'm missin git. Also, the training plan for a marathon fits much better into my schedule.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Unlikely. I'm looking for a large marathon to run. It's been a while since I've gotten out on teh road with the masses and I'm missin git. Also, the training plan for a marathon fits much better into my schedule.

Be sure to let me know if you decide on Philadelphia on Nov 20th.

2024 Races:

05/11 - D3 50K

My husband and I ran Umstead this year.  Had hoped for a sub 24, but my training was pretty lackluster.  Just happy to finish!  How'd you do?