Ultra Runners

Training for the NC24 May 5-6 2012 (Read 670 times)

To keep myself on point and motivated, I am going to document my training in this thread..and welcome feedback, advice, a kick in the butt--or whatever. I find I'm oddly motivated and feel more accountable in my running when I make my goals and plans public. I am recovered from being sick and ready to fully commit to my training.

I ran last year's NC24 in October completely untrained and completed 65 miles. So, I enter this one wondering what I can do if I put in some serious(for me) mileage.

Initially I will average 35-40 mpw. By the end of February I plan to get to 50 mpw and will top out around 60 mpw (except for a couple weeks when I will get in multiple long runs). I am still tweaking the plan..and I have learned to be flexible in regards to the specific workouts--but I know I need to hit my total mileage targets.

Week 1 Training Plan

Saturday-6 miles

Sunday-8 Miles (possibly split into two runs)

Monday -3 Miles (light-because both kids having surgery (ear tubes/adenoids) May put in more.

Tuesday-7 Miles (3 miles lunch - 4 miles evening)

Wednesday-7 Miles (3 miles lunch-4 miles evening)

Thursday - 7 Miles (3 Miles Lunch - 4 Miles Evening)

Friday - Rest

Is your log accurate?  24 miles total since NC24 in September?  Just trying to see what type of base you are starting with.

Yes. I'm starting without a base. You'll notice I had no base or training leading up to the race last year. I've really never put in the time for my past races..and it pisses me off because I know I'm capable of more. I want to get an idea what I am capable of putting on some decent mileage. The 65 miles represents what I can do with zero training. The Spring race is the next step. The Fall NC24 or maybe a fall marathon will be the next step.

If you have zero base and haven't really had one for a couple years trying to hit 55 MPW by end of Feb might be a little aggressive.  Based on where you are now (zero), you would need to add 10 miles per week for the next 5 weeks, that sounds like a recipe for hurt to me.

I'd recommend to start adding fast walking into your training.  Even if you were starting from a decent base walking would be a decent percentage of a 24 hour race.  Learn how to walk fast, and be able to do it for hours at a time and you'll be able to put in a significant amount of mileage during the 24. 

jeffdonahue

, that sounds like a recipe for hurt to me.

So does running 65 miles on zero training.

DoppleBock

I would supplement your mileage with walking - You may only want to run the mileage you are planning to, but walking 10-15-20 mpw fastish will be key to outperforming last fall. 

To keep myself on point and motivated, I am going to document my training in this thread..and welcome feedback, advice, a kick in the butt--or whatever. I find I'm oddly motivated and feel more accountable in my running when I make my goals and plans public. I am recovered from being sick and ready to fully commit to my training.

I ran last year's NC24 in October completely untrained and completed 65 miles. So, I enter this one wondering what I can do if I put in some serious(for me) mileage.

Initially I will average 35-40 mpw. By the end of February I plan to get to 50 mpw and will top out around 60 mpw (except for a couple weeks when I will get in multiple long runs). I am still tweaking the plan..and I have learned to be flexible in regards to the specific workouts--but I know I need to hit my total mileage targets.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

DoppleBock

Also when starting with no base - I like the running 2x a day to get going.  Call it garbage mileage - But all we want to do is to get your aerobic engine cleaned up!

Thanks for the feedback guys..Im not going to be stubborn (except that I am doing the race--there's no talkng me out of that Smile) and welcome all critique.

This weekend was full of excuses..but with the sick kids and surgeries it was a washout. So I am starting back today with a single run, and the doubles start tomorrow. My problem has always been getting started back in the routine--and once I do start running keeping it under control and not going too aggressive..

In the past, Ive never had any problems physically with getting up to the 30 mpw range from nothing in short time. I have had issues at 40 and above. So I may do a few weeks in the 30 mpw range before stepping up further.

Modified week 1. 30 miles

Tuesday 5 Miles

Wednesday 7 miles (double)

Thursday 7 miles (double)

Friday 3 miles

Saturday rest

Sunday 8 miles

DB--when adding in the fast walking miles..do you recommend adding them to the end of my runs initially, or doing seperate walks? I would guess that adding to the end of the runs or micxing them in the middle of the workouts to somewhat replicate the race would be the way to go?

In the past, Ive never had any problems physically with getting up to the 30 mpw range from nothing in short time. I have had issues at 40 and above. So I may do a few weeks in the 30 mpw range before stepping up further.

One thing I really want to emphasize for a base building phase is that when adding extra miles you can not run too slow.

Back in July 2010, my wife wanted to start running, so I would go and do my normal training really early in the AM, then get back to the house and do a nice easy run with her.  It was a great way for me to add some extra weekly mileage and seemed to put very little stress on my body.  Within a few months we were doing 18-25 miles a week at 13-15mpm pace.  I feel this extra mileage made a huge difference for me, especially for ultras.

Thanks Steve..

My experience is similar. Ive started and stopped running more times than I care to admit. I almost never worry about my pace when building up. It eventually just comes. Especially training for the 24 hour event. Speed means nothing..I'll be between 11:30 and 12:00 mm pace in my training for awhile.

DoppleBock

Maybe they make more sense at the end of a run, but I always did them separately - I would run monring and lunch and then walk at night after dinner to avoid eating too much. 

DB--when adding in the fast walking miles..do you recommend adding them to the end of my runs initially, or doing seperate walks? I would guess that adding to the end of the runs or micxing them in the middle of the workouts to somewhat replicate the race would be the way to go?

Schedule-wise it would be tough to get in another session. Would need to be up at 4 to get in 45 minutes (3 miles) of walking in the morning. Tha might not be terrible initially..but nearly all my mid-week runs will start at 8pm or later. When I start going longer at night--that would be tough. I'll see what works. I do appreciate the need to practice walking..I spent  at least 18 hours walking in the Fall NC24.