Ultra Runners

Woefully Lacking in Carbs (or so I'm told) (Read 419 times)

If you snort a PopTart, does it become a SnotTart?? Ha! Sometimes I kill me!! Okay - Let's get serious (or not . . .) Cutting the GU2O w/the maltodextrin made a big difference, but toward the end I started getting slightly nauseated again. My friend gave me a ginger candy, which helped, but I'm not big on ginger. However, I do think I may be overdoing it by adding in the Shot Blocks (also using Endurolytes). Too much crap on the ole tummy. So I think I'm going to cut out the Blocks next weekend, and add real food (maybe a SnotTart or two ( Wink ) like boiled potatoes. Anybody ever take cooked pasta with them on their long runs?? We're doing 3.5 hours next weekend. This past run I took a cut up apple and my pretzel, nuts, Rice Chex mix. I ate almost all the apple, but maybe only 1/3 cup of the mix. (??) BTW - MBK, I had a bad experience with Clif Bars about a year ago. They definitely aren't my favorite anymore. Yugh!

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Ultrachick

How are you going to eat pasta and keep moving forward at the same time? I think pasta would be too heavy (in the stomach and on the back) unless you're thinking like Ramen noodles. I'm thinking go the peanut butter and jelly sandwich route which is something you're more likely to find at a race aid station. I did a 3 hour trail run yesterday (about 16m) for my long run and ate 2 GU's. Yes, I was hungry when I finished. I had another GU with me but forgot it in the car. May I suggest and maybe you do this already but have a little snack within a half hour of beginning your run so that you can go without eating anything for the first 45-60 min (drinking of course). I realize you need the carbs but I think a little protein is helpful too. Too bad about the bad experience with Clif Bars-I frequently eat them as a pre-run and post run fuel and during a run if I don't have any GUs to bring with me. Good luck and keep experimenting! Kelly
      If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.
        Dates. Each date has about 25 calories so you can easily keep track of how many calories you're taking in. They may not agree with everybody's stomach but I can eat them for hours with no issues. They're also clean, easy to transport, and taste great. I use these with Heed drink and Succeed caps for all long runs and it works great. I was told that Greek ultra runners have used dates as their energy source for a long time.
        www.mnultrarunner.blogspot.com
          Well, I won't be taking pasta Wink, and I'm going to give Clif bars another go. I think I'll also boil up a potato and try a PBJ. The picnic basket will be a bit hard to carry, but I'm looking forward to a swig off that bottle of wine! Thanks for all your input. It's very much appreciated.

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

You might give the new (at least to me) Clif bars called Clif Nectar. They only have a handful of ingredients (all organic), like dates, nuts, and fruit. They are pretty yummy, and have around 160 calories. I haven't actually taken them with me on a run yet, but they seem like they would hold up pretty well (not a high squish factor). Smile The package also says that it's two servings of fruit (that's a bonus, because I know I don't eat as much fruit as I should). Lorrie

Ultrachick

LOL- Clowning around Leslie...the image of you running with a picnic basket strapped to your back is priceless! With a little red cape-just like Little Red Riding Hood! Watch out for the hungry wolf and all the other critters you'll attract with that food basket! Kelly
              If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.