Ultra Runners

ibuprofen/anti-inflammatory (Read 611 times)

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

I'm noboby, who are you?

Just curious, what are people's thoughts on taking anti-inflammatory (advil or ibuprofen) just before or during a long run/race?

Way more harm than good. If  there is a problem it will be masked and you will likely do more harm. 

Marathon Maniac #957

The below links are two articles referencing the studies done at WS in the last year or two.

http://www.irunfar.com/2010/07/ibuprofen-and-its-effects-during-ultramarathons.html

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/medicationanddrugs/a/NSAID_endurance.htm

An interesting quote from the first article:

“Ibuprofen use compared to non-use by athletes competing in a 160-km race did not alter muscle damage or soreness, and was related to elevated indicators of endotoxemia and inflammation.” The measured damage was seen in decreased capability of the kidneys to filter toxins properly (by measuring decreased urine creatinine, a typical test used to measure kidney function), and higher levels of blood inflammatory markers (interleukins, cytokines, and c-reactive protein:  all indicators of inflammation and pain).

So, is this saying that those who used ibuprophen, an anti-inflamatory/pain reliever, actually had higher levels of inflamation and pain?

And is Tylenol in this group as well?  I know that I usually see Tylenol being handed out on the course at marathons.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

DoppleBock

Mmmmm, Mmmmm the little redish / brown candy

I limit myself to a 500 count bottle each month - Is that ok Trent?

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

So, is this saying that those who used ibuprophen, an anti-inflamatory/pain reliever, actually had higher levels of inflamation and pain?

Yep.

And is Tylenol in this group as well?

No

Marathon Maniac #957

So, is it relatively safe to take Tylenol at, say, mile 20 of a marathon, just to ease those last few miles some?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Yes, it is safe.  No, it is not likely to do anything useful.