Ultra Runners

Zach Bitter 100M WR attempt (Read 43 times)

bhearn

bhearn

He was on pace, but stopped at 57 with a bad left quad.

Bummer. He looked really strong in the Dome up here last summer.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

Kalsarikännit

Sigh. I really like him. I have had the chance to race against him a bunch of times and he is a nice guy. I feel bad that he is forced to go around us on the track, but I don't like the idea of someone Josh Cox'ing a "race" to get a record.  Would love to see a real race with real competition.  It was pointed out on the ultralist that when the WR of 11:28 was set, the second place finisher ran a 11:29. That is cool.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

bhearn

Well he'll get another chance in a real race at Desert Solstice, presumably, and with the small field there won't be that many of us to go around. But then I still doubt he will have real competition.

bhearn

I feel bad that he is forced to go around us on the track, but I don't like the idea of someone Josh Cox'ing a "race" to get a record.  Would love to see a real race with real competition.

From the ultralist:

In that case, it's probably just as well that he didn't run 100 under
              11:28. Although it would have been a seriously hard to break FKT for that
              track Wink

From the short bits of video that appeared on twitter, he seemed like the
              only one on the track. Occasionally another runner was in the shot.

I've met Zach a couple of times, after his Ice Age win, then after his 5:13 at the lakefront 50 mile.  Real nice guy.  It's too bad no one else seems interested in breaking the 100M WR, because I think competition would definitely help.  Otherwise, you are basically running a time trial...