Ultra Runners

Best Blood Award (Read 423 times)

Kalsarikännit

I just read that David Horton's races always feature a "Best Blood" award.  This intrigued me because I am a bloody mess after every trail race.  Last year's winner was not only "Best Blood" of the year, but according to Horton, "Best Blood Ever".

Check it out at 2:42

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Holy crap!!! 

xor

No way I'm opening that.  No sir, no sale.

Reason #106 why I'm a road person.  And the same name as Tony Soprano's friend he whacked.

Kalsarikännit

It's not that bad.  Just open it.  C'mon.  You can handle it.  You're a manly man (Sorta.  In a kind of pink-wearing way Wink).

Holy crap. I wonder how far he had to run with that bad boy.

~Sara
            It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great. ~ Jimmy Dugan

Has anyone here ever run both a David Horton and a James Varner race or races?

I have not, but something tells me they are kinsmen

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn

Kalsarikännit

Has anyone here ever run both a David Horton and a James Varner race or races?

I have never run a Horton race, but I have been warned many times about "Horton miles" (as you can see in the video, Hellgate 100k is 66.6 miles).  What does Varner direct?

xor

James Varner is a PNW person... smalcolm perhaps knows him better than the rest of us I think.

He used to do a couple races up here (like the Cle Elum 50k), and then last year added the Winthrop Marathon.  But this year, he's exploded with all kinds of cool ultras.  I dunno that we call them "Varner Miles", but I know that his stuff is usually hard and almost always long.  Like life (and, per the little saying I learned in 8th grade, a boner).

Rainshadow Running

but I know that his stuff is usually hard and almost always long. 

I kinda thought this.

I was signed up to run Orcas this year, but real life got in the way so I am going to defer (most likely) to the North Cascades PCT 100k in Sept.

When the tunnel closed (as part of the CC100) two years ago, they asked James to plot and mark a detour. His detour included running around and over the top of Hyak and then down one of the ski runs. It was a bitch

I can't wait to see what he has in store for the PCT

Funny, I always thought Best Blood Awards was a British Fell Runners tradition where some of the injuries are horrendous when some of the gentle men and gentle women tumble down the side of humungous hills.

Good to see the traditions moving over to the USA, that is a cracking cut though, can't see any bone so it doesn't count I'm afraid Black eye

Jerry
                      A runners blog-updated daily

xor

When the tunnel closed (as part of the CC100) two years ago, they asked James to plot and mark a detour. His detour included running around and over the top of Hyak and then down one of the ski runs. It was a bitch

Not to mention that lots of folks get to that little aha in the evening or at night.  NICE.  Again, this road runner says: no sir, no sale.

Not to mention that lots of folks get to that little aha in the evening or at night. 

Yeah, I was one of them.

I got to the bottom of that and said  in the immortal words of that famous Irish boxer, "No Mas"

I can't wait to see this spot on the CCC100 course that you speak of. 

Semper Ardvo Modo!!

xor

Well, there's a pretty good chance they will re-open the tunnel this summer.  Not sure yet; we'll know "soon".  If they do, I also dunno if they will go back to the original CC course.

ANYWAY.  You will either tumble down a ski slope at dusk/dark or you won't. Hah.

I tumble well.  Gravity is my friend and I'm well padded.