Ultra Runners

100 question (Read 458 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Is there a 100 miler where you do essentially a figure-8 around a home base, with each 8 being ~50 miles, each loop being ~25 miles.  So you run each trail segment only twice, but hit the ho,me base 3 times + start/finish?

The King of Beasts

no. 42

next question.

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”

Imminent Catastrophe

Yes, the Harpeth Hills Hundred.

Seriously, I don't know but Vermont is kind of like that. 3 loops, I think.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

None that I know off...  but I like the idea. 

How about two big ass loops. One aid station. No support? Smile

"NO AID STATIONS, NO PACERS. WATER FROM STREAMS SO BRING YOUR FILTER. CREW ACCESS at DEEP CREEK ONLY. NO PICTURE TAKING ON THE COURSE. DROP BAGS AT DEEP CREEK ONLY. "

http://www.cascaderunningclub.com/plain100.html

~Sara
            It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great. ~ Jimmy Dugan

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

tangent: why no picture taking?

tangent: why no picture taking?

I don't know... it may have come about when a runner a couple years ago had his dad following him around taking pictures, but not crewing. They felt that was not fair and to some extent he assisted (even if only mentally) the runner through some desolate spots. Not sure if the rule means runners can't take picture themselves. Seems weird.

~Sara
                It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great. ~ Jimmy Dugan

You'll ruin your knees!

http://www.tejastrails.com/CactusRose.html is 4 25 mile loops.  The loop is the same (not cloverleaf), but runs in the opposite direction each time round, so it has the feel of a different loop.  You pass through the start finish each loop, providing crew with GREAT access to their runner in 3 of the 5 aid stations each of the loops.  It is a pretty tough race, but WAAAAY fun. 

http://www.tejastrails.com/Rocky.html is another loop race, unfortunately this one calls for the loops to be run in the same direction each of the 5 times around.  Still a very well run race and well supported.  Still, not a clover leaf/figure 8...

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Imminent Catastrophe

http://www.tejastrails.com/CactusRose.html is 4 25 mile loops.  The loop is the same (not cloverleaf), but runs in the opposite direction each time round, so it has the feel of a different loop.  You pass through the start finish each loop, providing crew with GREAT access to their runner in 3 of the 5 aid stations each of the loops.  It is a pretty tough race, but WAAAAY fun. 

Headlands Hundred is like that.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

The Rockhard Hardrock 200 is a two loop course, coming through Silverton at the end of each loop.  Wink

Kettle Moraine 100 appears to be multiple out and backs, i.e. you will pass by the same aid station 2 times.  Plus you are close by to both DB and WG...Wink  http://www.kettle100.com/Race%20Bulletin%202011%20Rev0.pdf

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

Why a 50 mile Figure 8?

• Black Canyon 100k
                          • RRR
                          • Zane Grey 100k
                          • High Lonesome 100
                          • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
                          • The Bear 100
                          • Javelina Jundred (?)
                          Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

A friend was asking.  He does not want to double up on the same route too much, but does want to be able to pass the same home base / aid station / drop station.