Ultra Runners

Protein Intake (Read 541 times)

You'll ruin your knees!

jlynnbob,

Threadjack: Have you run Bandera? It intrigues me.

Yes, several times... it is very well run and in a great part of the Hill Country.  Bandera and Cactus Rose are put on by the same RD on a lot of the same trails.  Do it!

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Imminent Catastrophe

Just reading the reports, Bandera sounds great. It would be a tough one for a first 100k but when I plan a "tough" race I tend to train a lot harder.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Food - I'm going to try mushed up beans spread in corn tortillas and rolled up like little taquitos this weekend.  We'll see how it goes.

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Imminent Catastrophe

Food - I'm going to try mushed up beans spread in corn tortillas and rolled up like little taquitos this weekend.  We'll see how it goes.

Only an ultrarunner would look forward to that. Sounds pretty good to me!

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

I just love the "cultural" difference in the food here, where some of you are going for tortilla as a Brit I would probably go for a sandwich. However I am thinking that tortilla wraps are in fact a genious idea as they are self contained....cool.

I am going to try out tortillas as well with a little bit of left over chicken in the fridge

Jerry
            A runners blog-updated daily

You'll ruin your knees!

I just love the "cultural" difference in the food here, where some of you are going for tortilla as a Brit I would probably go for a sandwich. However I am thinking that tortilla wraps are in fact a genious idea as they are self contained....cool.

I am going to try out tortillas as well with a little bit of left over chicken in the fridge

Flour tortillas work better... they will still get soggy like bread does, but they hold together better than most bread. 

I have also found that turkey and cheddar cheese on chiabatta bread works pretty good... but you better have something to drink when you eat it, especially after several hours at altitude (read... dry mouth)...

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

jlynn - I always end up with dry mouth.  The flour tortillas work pretty good?  I was thinking corn would be crumbly.  How about pita bread?  Nice little pocket.  Was even wondering if humus would be a good.

Leslie
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Imminent Catastrophe

jlynn - I always end up with dry mouth.  The flour tortillas work pretty good?  I was thinking corn would be crumbly.  How about pita bread?  Nice little pocket.  Was even wondering if humus would be a good.

Humus would probably be a bad idea:

humus: The part of the soil profile that is composed of decomposed organic matter from dead and decaying plants and animals.

Hummus, OTOH, would probably be good. 

You'll ruin your knees!

I've not tried, nor am I interested in trying hummus... couldn't speak for that... Also have not tried pita, if if doesn't hold together, it would be a Pain In The Ass!  Haaaaaaaahahahahah! (I crack me up)

The flour tortillas are good... the turkey is OK and avocado adds moisture, keeping it from being too dry... the chiabatta and cheddar cheese can get a little dry.  I find that sometimes I have to make an effort to take smaller bites and wash it down, sometimes...

so, there's that... and Russ is a smart ass!

Being a smart ass must be a Russ thing.  I have another trail running buddy .  Name Russ. Is a smart ass.  

I'm real bad about putting too much in my mouth at one time when running, then I'm huffing and puffing and trying to get it down without choking to death.

Leslie
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Tell me about it, about 2 years ago I was in a race and the field had really strung out. I had gone through a small comfort station and was offered some sweets some of which were of the hard jelly type. I started to chew on it and then bit it in half,at the same time tripping and sucked a great glob of it into my windpipe and then proceeded to choke. It got quite scary as it was well and truelly stuck and I began to panic. Luckily I really had it in me to cough violently and this chunk flew out of my mouth with me gasping for breath.

Jerry
                        A runners blog-updated daily

Dang, Jerry!  I thought about that last weekend when I choked on a piece of sandwich.  I was out in the flats, not a body in site except cows.  I thought, well wouldn't this be just ducky.  You choke to death out here 'cause you're shoving too much in your pie hole.

Leslie
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Imminent Catastrophe

Being a smart ass must be a Russ thing.  

it's my greatest attribute 

Leslie
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance