Ultra Runners

Another 50k under my belt (Read 344 times)

I am still sticking with the 50ks, but getting more comfortable with them each time. I did what was supposed to be a 12 hour loop trail race on Halloween knowing I wouldn't go the full time. I was shooting for a 50k and got it done in a little over 6.5 hours. I was pretty happy with that. It was a ~2 mile loop with 400+ feet of elevation each loop, so it was no walk in the park. They bill it as the hardest 12 hour out there... and I believe it. Smile

The first three laps were done in the dark which was my first time running trails in the dark. I enjoyed it more than I thought I would and actually felt really comfortable physically ...mentally not so much. The dark FREAKS me out. I mean we were in a small city park with houses all around it and 40+ people were on the trail. But anytime I was alone I got scared and would think all sorts of irrational thoughts. Wild animals, crazy homeless people, monsters, etc. etc. How do I deal with this? I'd really like to get into longer races, but the thought of running in the woods alone in the dark is almost unbearable. I am so lame.

During the first three laps I also thought I could go for the full 12 hours....I even crazily thought I could get in 50 miles. This confidence didn't last. By the 10th loop I just wanted to be done. So I got in my 16 and called it a day. I think I could have kept going, but I just didn't feel like it. There are clearly some benefits to a loop race, but I don't know if they can overcome the monotony.

Next up... another 50k this weekend. Not sure what to expect as details on the course are limited, but I am thinking it is fairly flat.

~Sara
    It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great. ~ Jimmy Dugan

who knows...

Nice job. Running trails in the dark can be a little disconcerting at times.
      "There is no I in εγω." --Unknown author, source of possible, but in no way certain, Greek origin
      corland

I'm a nightshift police officer, very capable of defending myself.  I frequently run after dark.  It's amazing how often I feel less like a predator and more like prey.  You're not alone.

Great running.  Good luck this weekend. 

Happy

Wow, you are doing very well!!!

It wasn't crazy to think you could go 50 miles; I am sure you could have and soon will do......

Sounds like you are having fun. 

Try running after dark in your neighborhood if you feel it is safe there - street lights and the outdoor lights that people have on their homes may help make you feel less scared. I ran after dark all of last winter - in my subdivision. Not very scary but I'm still not wild about it. I am mostly afraid of dogs. Sometimes people think they can let their dogs out after dark since nobody is outside walking, right!!!! 

_

Perhaps you can find another ultra-nerd to hook up with so you don't need to run alone in the dark on your first long trail-ultra - there's probably other runners that would rather not go it alone in the dark either.

I can't wait to read about your next 50K - have fun!

5K, 4/28/07 24:16 PR 10K, 5/5/07 49:23 PR 1/2 M, 12/08/07 1:49:34 PR Marathon, 12/09/06 3:57:37 BQ 50K, 10/04/2009 7:27:00 PB 40M, 4/17/2010 11:20:00 PB
          Carl A

For me, I have a white belt in two different types of karate--which makes me a danger as much to myself as others. So, I sometimes carry a little cannister of pepper spray.

You'll probably get used to night trail running the more you do it. A bright LED headlamp and flashlight can help. Also, some long-ultra RDs will hook you up with a night pacer if you ask. After a while, running through the woods at night is a blast.

Good job in reaching your 50K goal, and good luck this weekend!

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

You'll ruin your knees!

...so, 16 2 mile loops, each with 400+ of elevation, you ended up a mile high?

Congrats on getting another ultra under your belt.  Thinking maybe a 50?  This is EXACTLY how you end up in a 100 mile race!!! 

Nice work... as for night running, when I can't get on a trail, I will sometimes just head out on a golf course, just running right up the fairways... I have a course that is 27 holes and if I run each fairway it totals almost 8 miles.  It's all nice smooth grass (some deeper grass between the green and the next tee box) and I always run it with no lights, even on moonless nights.  Lots of great solo running and good transition to full blown trails from the roads.

Good luck,

Lynn Ba

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

corland

Nice work... as for night running, when I can't get on a trail, I will sometimes just head out on a golf course, just running right up the fairways... I have a course that is 27 holes and if I run each fairway it totals almost 8 miles.  It's all nice smooth grass (some deeper grass between the green and the next tee box) and I always run it with no lights, even on moonless nights.  Lots of great solo running and good transition to full blown trails from the roads.

I like this idea. 

You'll ruin your knees!

I like this idea. 

...just respect the greens.  I make every effort to stay off the greens, as I don't want to do any damage.

Otherwise, it is like being invisible... no one notices you running right out in the open, no cars to worry about, just have to dodge the sprinklers occasionally... oh, and the sand traps, those can be nasty if you don't see them in time.

Have fun!

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)