Ultra Runners

coming out of Retirement (Read 107 times)

npaden

Good luck and keep after it.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

Holy cow, nice to see you again, DB!!

I haven't checked in here in AGES, but was bored at work today.  Absolutely made my day to see you're back running!  I have also fallen very far off the wagon.  Up about 60lbs.  Barely running at all.  Really need to find my mojo again.

- Chris

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

Double-cow! cgerber!!  

Liz

pace sera, sera

The King of Beasts

Depending on which path I decide to travel in the next 3-6 months ... I could be at a lot more races

Or

Face down in 2 dozen doughnuts or a family sized order of deep fried cheese curds

I am hopeful for the 1st ... With a potential for 2 races in 2017

* Feb 2017 ... Black Canyon 100k - I need to prove I am committed before I commit (My sister is running)

* Jun 2017 ... FANS24 in 2017 > I need @ 101 miles to get my 500 mile vest

Not sure how I missed your coming out of retirement thread.

I'm in the same fat boat - up 20+ pounds.  Hopefully on track now.

I have maybe Grandmas or Twin Cities on my list for next year ? wanna run ?

you coming down for Monkey ?

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”

Weight management is like the ultra with no finish line. I've been trying to figure this one out for 17 years now. My long-standing goal is 158. That would be 100 lbs off the 1999 peak and a BMI of 23. I was close for a while about 10 years ago, 172 with a sub-24 100 in the bag and working towards a BQ, when blew my knee out skiing and weight crept back up to 207. 2010 was looking like the come-back year until I lost my job. I'm currently at 187, down 15 so far for 2016 and down 30 from the Great Recession high of 217 back in 2012. In sum, just like a long ultra, there are a lot of peaks and valleys.

Weight management is a multifactorial problem. It can't be solved by running or dieting alone. It requires a number of permanent lifestyle changes. Long-term determination is much more important than short-term willpower. Some of the most helpful things that I've found along the way:

• Have a scale and weigh daily, in the AM. Record your weight periodically.
            • Use a stationary bike if you can't run, but try to get 3+ hours/week of exercise using any means no matter what.
            • Avoid all artificial sweeteners.
            • Avoid all liquid calories, with the following exceptions: milk, and sports drinks during/after workouts. 
            • Social drinking is okay, but keep beer, wine, and liquor out of the house.
            • Practice mindful eating and try to eat more basic foods (example: eggs or steel cut oats for breakfast). Processed foods are highly optimized towards taste and away from feeling full.
            • High running loads are incompatible with strict calorie restrictions over the long term.
            • Weight comes off more slowly with each passing year. 
            • Slower rates of weight loss are easier to maintain.

Running definitely promotes weight loss, but you have to be careful. If your leg muscles are constantly depleted, then injury risk goes up. You can run slower and longer, thus preserving glycogen and burning more fat, but doing only LSD just makes you slower and may lead to an overuse injury anyway. Also, the faster weight comes off, the more metabolism slows, and the more the body begs the brain to feed it. The Biggest Loser study from earlier in the year really made it clear that long term weight gain is strongly correlated with rapid weight loss.

Finally, the graphic below illustrates the conflict between the food manufacturing industry and government guidelines for healthy eating. Examine everything at the grocery store outside of fruits, veggies, meats, and dairy with a critical eye. Think about this image the next time you go down the cereal aisle.

Running definitely promotes weight loss, but you have to be careful. If your leg muscles are constantly depleted, then injury risk goes up. You can run slower and longer, thus preserving glycogen and burning more fat, but doing only LSD just makes you slower and may lead to an overuse injury anyway.

The thought of DoppleBock taking it easy made me laugh.  (He ran ~900 miles in one *month* some time back)

True advice though!    :-)

Indeed, this is what kind-of works for me, but your mileage may vary...substantially!

DoppleBock

From originally posting this - I have fought a calf injury over 6 weeks and went back to my bad habits.  I am healthy enough now to get back to it.

The things below are reasonable and spot on - I am not as reasonable yet - But trying.  I controlled my weight for 10 years by running a lot of miles - You can lose weight if you run enough.

I only have 4 main goals to start

*  Get miles in daily (Run / Walk / Bike or elliptical converted to miles)

*  Drink at least 100 ounces of H20

*  Avoid alcohol

*  Track calories

It is more complicated than that ... but this is the foundation

2017 will be a good year!

Weight management is like the ultra with no finish line. I've been trying to figure this one out for 17 years now. My long-standing goal is 158. That would be 100 lbs off the 1999 peak and a BMI of 23. I was close for a while about 10 years ago, 172 with a sub-24 100 in the bag and working towards a BQ, when blew my knee out skiing and weight crept back up to 207. 2010 was looking like the come-back year until I lost my job. I'm currently at 187, down 15 so far for 2016 and down 30 from the Great Recession high of 217 back in 2012. In sum, just like a long ultra, there are a lot of peaks and valleys.

Weight management is a multifactorial problem. It can't be solved by running or dieting alone. It requires a number of permanent lifestyle changes. Long-term determination is much more important than short-term willpower. Some of the most helpful things that I've found along the way:

• Have a scale and weigh daily, in the AM. Record your weight periodically.
                  • Use a stationary bike if you can't run, but try to get 3+ hours/week of exercise using any means no matter what.
                  • Avoid all artificial sweeteners.
                  • Avoid all liquid calories, with the following exceptions: milk, and sports drinks during/after workouts. 
                  • Social drinking is okay, but keep beer, wine, and liquor out of the house.
                  • Practice mindful eating and try to eat more basic foods (example: eggs or steel cut oats for breakfast). Processed foods are highly optimized towards taste and away from feeling full.
                  • High running loads are incompatible with strict calorie restrictions over the long term.
                  • Weight comes off more slowly with each passing year. 
                  • Slower rates of weight loss are easier to maintain.

Running definitely promotes weight loss, but you have to be careful. If your leg muscles are constantly depleted, then injury risk goes up. You can run slower and longer, thus preserving glycogen and burning more fat, but doing only LSD just makes you slower and may lead to an overuse injury anyway. Also, the faster weight comes off, the more metabolism slows, and the more the body begs the brain to feed it. The Biggest Loser study from earlier in the year really made it clear that long term weight gain is strongly correlated with rapid weight loss.

Finally, the graphic below illustrates the conflict between the food manufacturing industry and government guidelines for healthy eating. Examine everything at the grocery store outside of fruits, veggies, meats, and dairy with a critical eye. Think about this image the next time you go down the cereal aisle.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

DB,

I like streaking (exercise every single day no matter what). It isn't the best training plan, but it is an easy one to remember, and hopefully helps make a habit.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

DoppleBock

I either just blew $95 or I better get my ass in gear.  May 14th Ice Age 50 Mile ... I have a date to work toward.

I am not losing ground on weight, but making minimal progress.  I am however starting to feel better running ... run/walk.

DoppleBock

Starting to make some progress.  I feel like I could actually finish an Ice Age 50 within the time limit right now (Just barely) ... I am hoping to work toward < 10 hours by the end of March and then set a final goal to work toward.

I either just blew $95 or I better get my ass in gear.  May 14th Ice Age 50 Mile ... I have a date to work toward.

I am not losing ground on weight, but making minimal progress.  I am however starting to feel better running ... run/walk.

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

A most excellent update! 

Liz

pace sera, sera

DoppleBock

just got back from 5 days in Arizona - Gold Canyon.  Ran on trails and roads.  I crewed my sister for the Black Canyon 100k.  It was cold (36 to 50 back down to 38) and rained 12 of the 15 1/2 hours she ran.  She finished in 38F with 20+MPH winds and driving rain.

Has me itching to run a race Smile

jjameson

That's good news DB.

I'm not coming out of retirement but I never officially retired.

My last Ultra was Superior 50 2015

I had some health issues two years ago

Work has been a killer the last year.

I'm trying to make my life balance tilt in my favor and there is light on the horizon.

I signed up for a half marathon May 30

I've been running 20 mpw at (what used to be) a slow pace.  I'm getting pretty damn old (58)

I still like running in the woods -- pavement not so much.

Joe

DoppleBock

Nice to have a jjameson sighting.

I am still running most runs slower than 24 hour pace ... But I am in week #14.  My work has changed for the positive (Knock on wood) and is allowing me to run more consistently.

For how much it sucks to run a lot when you are trying to lose weight ... you would think I would never gain it.  I have another 4-6 months of that to go.  I have a lot of stored up energy and potential (I will get faster as I lose weight).  Think of it as I am training with a 60# weight vest.

I did a couple of trail runs in Arizona a couple weeks back and 1 in WI with the nice weather we had.  I am looking forward to 1-2 a week once it is a bit warmer.

That's good news DB.

I'm not coming out of retirement but I never officially retired.

My last Ultra was Superior 50 2015

I had some health issues two years ago

Work has been a killer the last year.

I'm trying to make my life balance tilt in my favor and there is light on the horizon.

I signed up for a half marathon May 30

I've been running 20 mpw at (what used to be) a slow pace.  I'm getting pretty damn old (58)

I still like running in the woods -- pavement not so much.

Joe