Ultra Runners

Coyotes? (Read 291 times)

With about 1.5 miles left on my trail run yesterday (ending at dusk), I encountered 3 coyotes who were waaaaay to close for comfort. I was running with my husky/shepard mix dog who seemed relatively unconcerned as I was starting to freak out a bit. All three were about 15-20 feet from me, I yelled at them and they eventually ran off, but man o man was that a really erie experience for me.

I would imagine with all the ultra runners in Northeast Ohio, have you encountered or had any troubles with coyotes? Any advice, except don't run the trails at dusk with your dog?

thanks,

z

Shocked     I have no advise except carry an extra clean pair of underwear with you. 

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

OK, so my story may a little less exciting but wildlife can still freak you out

Jerry
        A runners blog-updated daily

xor

I've encountered solo coyotes on the trails in WA, OR, and CA.  They always (so far) just look at me for a second and then run away.  One has never freaked me out.  Three at once would be another matter.  Eeek.

I've encountered coyotes in the Brecksville Reservation though never more than one. And usually from afar.

I did, however, get up close to one on the trail but it just ran away when it saw me.

Keeping the dogs on leash seems to be the best solution for safety of your dogs. Yours is the first report I've heard of a coyote pack. I don't have advice except to keep your dog on leash and if you do encounter to make noise and appear big.

I live in the North Chicago suburbs and have definitely encountered my share of coyotes.  Almost every time they have been solo.  I have a 90 lb black lab, and he actually tries to chase them.  One time the coyote ran along the trail in front of us for almost a half mile before turning off it.

I agree, keep dogs leashed, coyotes are tricky beasts.  I've heard multiple stories about one coyote leading a dog into a pack of coyotes that are hiding waiting for the tasty dog to follow into the bushes.  3 coyotes at one time is another matter.  I don't know how effective pepper spray is around coyotes, but that might be a good idea.  It's unlikely that you could outrun or even overpower 3 coyotes, so unless you have another way to defend yourself, you may want to avoid that particular trail. 

I've never seen more than 1 coyote at a time either - freaky!

Run to Win
                25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

There was an article in outside magazine this summer about hybrid wolf/coyotes out east and how they are really aggresive.  In fact a women in Maine was attacked and killed.  

In Alaska, wildlife is ALWAYS and issue.  I ALWAYS run with pepper spray (the big canister made specifically for bears).  We also have a big problem here with wolves.  In fact my wife and her friend were running when they were approached by two huge wolves.  Usually, in these situations, the wolves go for the dog, which they had with them (my running partner Winnie) but in this case they went for the women.  My wife and her friend climbed a tree and there they stayed for two hours.  The wolves circled the bottom of the tree, where the dog was whining, never taking their eyes off of the women.  They kept making larger and larger circels until they eventually left.  It took two hours.  Finally some other runners came along and they all ran out in a large group.  Scary!  

Be very wary of wild life that is not afraid to approach you or your dog.  It could get serious fast.  The pepper spray, I hope, would work on Coyotes as well as other dogs, humans and bears.

Good Luck!

t_runner

I've seen two of them together in the Brecksville reservation also.  It was early morning, but fairly light, so I was surprised.  I was running with both my dogs (60 pound hound mixes), and the two coyotes started coming towards us, yipping a little bit.  I was not that excited about that, but they were on the other side of the road, and a passing car made enough noise to frighten them away, and we backed off slowly and went a different way back to the car. 

I would second the advice to make noise, as they did appear startled by the car.  Glad I didn't have to figure out what else to do, and it hasn't occurred since.

Thanks for the comments and additional stories....like most of you, I don't mind a solo coyote now and again, but the pack mentality is what made me so nervous, as flatfooter mentioned. My guess was that there were more present than I could see. I yelled really loud and grabbed a big stick and each time I yelled, they moved farther away.

I spoke with a lady who works for the Lake County metro parks who is also an ultra runner. She stated that coyotes are naturally afraid of humans but certainly can become too comfortable. She did mention that they were much more interested in my dog than me, regardless that she is a 65lb shepard/husky mix, dogs do not stand a chance against a pack. Again, yell, look big, keep dogs leashed, etc...

This all took place in the Holden Arboretum, I plan on calling to let them know about it.

YoBear: thanks for confirming my childhood fear of wolves, I am never going to Alaska. That is a crazy story, glad that everyone was alright!

On a running note: As I was hauling down the trail, I did glance at my garmin to see that I was pacing about 5:12/mi. which is about a minute faster than my 5k pace!!! ....I needed speedwork that night, and ended up getting it. I wish I had been wearing my HR monitor Smile