Ultra Runners

Grand Canyon Rim to Rim (to Rim) thread (Read 31 times)

paul2432

Beryl and I both have R2R2R coming up, so thought we ought to have a new thread.  I'm running on 5/5/18 and he is on 5/22.  Let's post our experiences, questions, thoughts etc.  I expect this thread to pop up from time to time over the years as folks attempt this classic run.

I'll post more about my run later.

berylrunner

Rick

Incredible place.  I try to go as often as possible.  I live on the North side of the ditch so I usually start from there.  My first experience was North Kaibab to South Kaibab and then I was hooked.  I have now done numerous out and backs, the Cowboy loop (Bright Angel to River up South Kaibab), 2 Rim to Rim to Rims, and a Rim to River to Rim on the Bill Hall, Thunder River, Tapeets creek trails.

Over the years running in the canyon has become increasingly popular, busy, and has caused some problems.  I have witnessed bad behavior from all trail users.

My advice to runners.

Pack it in, pack it out.  Do not cache gear, food, or water.  Use the toilets.

Avoid weekends

Figure out a polite way to pass people.  Slowing down and saying "Can I get by at your convenience?"  works well.  Or excuse me followed by thank you,  Be careful of blind corners.  Again, slow down.

Go slow and enjoy the canyon.  Nobody cares if you do it in 10 hours or 18.

Don't blow your quads pushing the downhill and be careful of the heat.  My last trip I saw an experienced Ultra runner huddled in a sleeping bag waiting to be airlifted out.  An expensive DNF.

Take the little side trip to Ribbon Falls.

My trip this time will be a little different.  North Kaibab, South Kaibab,  Rim trail, breakfast at El Tovar, Rim trail, Bright Angel, North Kaibab.  Can't wait.

12-22   Last One Standing  - dnf 37 miles

1-23  Sun Marathon - 3:53

3-4-23  Red Mountain 55k - 7:02

4-15-23  Zion 100 - 27:59

paul2432

Thanks Beryl for getting us started.

I've found he Grand Canyon R2R2R Run Facebook group to be a pretty good resource for GC runs.  To add on to the point about passing politely - keep in mind that the GC is an attraction for folks from all over the world.  The person you are passing may not speak English.

For my run, I'll be going down the South Kaibab trail, up and down the North Kaibab trail, and then up the Bright Angel trail.

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

good luck Paul, give us a trip report! Ive only hiked the canyon once but been to Havasupai a few times. amazing place (and there is frybread at the bottom)!

Bridle Trails 50k 1-13-24 5:39

Cottontail 6 Hour 4-13-24

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Have yet to get to the Grand Canyon. I'm not confident of being able to do R2R2R. What are your best suggestions for partial decent and ascent for a slow plodder who has no big hills to train on?

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

paul2432

I got my R2R2R in yesterday.  Actually started at my hotel in Tusayan to make it 52 total.  I’ll post a more detailed report later.

WC - The south Kaibab trail is my recommendation.  Much more scenic than Bright Angel.  Go down as far as you dare and come back up.  There is no water on the SK so keep that in mind.  BA does have water at 1.5, 3, and 4.5 miles down, and is still quite scenic.  Rim to River to Rim is another option. (Down SK up BA). It’s not a race so you can take as much time as you like.

RWD

I'm excited to hear how it went, Paul!!!

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Have yet to get to the Grand Canyon. I'm not confident of being able to do R2R2R. What are your best suggestions for partial decent and ascent for a slow plodder who has no big hills to train on?

George, do you think you would be able to do a rim to river to rim hike/run?  I did this on no training.  It was about 18 miles, I think.  (Down South Kaibab to Phantom Ranch and back up Bright Angel.)  It was a great way to experience the canyon in a day without killing yourself.

Running is dumb.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

George, do you think you would be able to do a rim to river to rim hike/run?  I did this on no training.  It was about 18 miles, I think.  (Down South Kaibab to Phantom Ranch and back up Bright Angel.)  It was a great way to experience the canyon in a day without killing yourself.

Not  this year before the fall. I've had the worst year for training since I almost gave up running back 2011. I have doubts about finishing D3 under 8 hours and that's 50K on a track with zero elevation gain. I don't know anything about planning a trip like that including when the best time to go would be. I definitely don't want to face triple digit temperatures in the summer. Heat and I don't get along well. I was wondering if late fall would be a good time after NC 24. At least by then I would have some good mountain hiking and running under my belt with a week in the Canadian Rockies planned for late June.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

berylrunner

Rick

I got my R2R2R in yesterday.  Actually started at my hotel in Tusayan to make it 52 total.  I’ll post a more detailed report later.

WC - The south Kaibab trail is my recommendation.  Much more scenic than Bright Angel.  Go down as far as you dare and come back up.  There is no water on the SK so keep that in mind.  BA does have water at 1.5, 3, and 4.5 miles down, and is still quite scenic.  Rim to River to Rim is another option. (Down SK up BA). It’s not a race so you can take as much time as you like.

Congrats Paul.  Looking forward to a report.

berylrunner

Rick

I agree with Paul, the South Kaibab trail is impressive.  Another one to look at is Bright Angel to Indian Gardens, out to Plateau Point and then return.  Fall is a great time to go, even into December on the South Rim.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I don't know anything about planning a trip like that including when the best time to go would be. I definitely don't want to face triple digit temperatures in the summer. Heat and I don't get along well. I was wondering if late fall would be a good time after NC 24.

Late fall would be a fantastic time to go to the Grand Canyon, I imagine.  We went in early March and there was still a bit of ice on the top, so we carried our spikes.  Logistically, a rim to river to rim is super easy.  A free shuttle will transport you the couple of miles between the trailheads.  You hike down one trail (South Kaibab) and hike back up a different trail (Bright Angel.)  In the middle of the trails you stop and drink lemonade.  Smile

Running is dumb.

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

Incredible place.  I try to go as often as possible.  I live on the North side of the ditch so I usually start from there.  My first experience was North Kaibab to South Kaibab and then I was hooked.  I have now done numerous out and backs, the Cowboy loop (Bright Angel to River up South Kaibab), 2 Rim to Rim to Rims, and a Rim to River to Rim on the Bill Hall, Thunder River, Tapeets creek trails. 2 - Rim 2 Rim 2 Rims, 3 - Rim to Rivers, 2 - Rim 2 Ribbon Falls and Upper Ribbon Falls, Hermit Tonto BA loop, Hermit Tonto Boucher loop, Grandview Tonto Dripping Springs loop.  

Over the years running in the canyon has become increasingly popular, busy, and has caused some problems.  I have witnessed bad behavior from all trail users.

My advice to runners.

Pack it in, pack it out.  Do not cache gear, food, or water.  Use the toilets.

Avoid weekends

Figure out a polite way to pass people.  Slowing down and saying "Can I get by at your convenience?"  works well.  Or excuse me followed by thank you,  Be careful of blind corners.  Again, slow down.

Go slow and enjoy the canyon.  Nobody cares if you do it in 10 hours or 18.

Don't blow your quads pushing the downhill and be careful of the heat.  My last trip I saw an experienced Ultra runner huddled in a sleeping bag waiting to be airlifted out.  An expensive DNF.

Take the little side trip to Ribbon Falls.

+1,000,000 to everything said above with my GC history substituted.

In my mind there 2 best times for R3 is:

early to mid April (pros: additional daylight and weather is usually not 90+ in the inner gorge, north rim isn't open so usually less crowded; cons: not all water will be on so be prepared to carry some extra where needed)

Mid October (pros: weather has usually cooled off enough and is usually not 90+ in the inner gorge, all water should be on; cons: less daylight to work with, north rim is open and therefore it will be more crowded.

A couple of points.  I don't mind the crowds and I've met quite a few people on my "runs", but always be aware of others and don't be "that guy" pushing past people (I've had in happen to myself). The vast majority of people are extremely nice and courteous.

The GC is a magical place; absorb it all, take the pictures, talk with people, enjoy the grandeur, and don't let "goals" get in your way.

You people have issues