Ultra Runners

Ruth Anderson Ultra experience? (Read 322 times)

Hi all, I'm looking at possibly doing my first 50 miler in April at the Ruth Anderson Ultra (San Francisco).  Has anyone here run it and can offer advice?  It's a 4.5 mile loop around a lake that's repeated over and over again.  If you've run an ultra on a small loop course, I'd appreciate your advice as well.

xor

I have not run this race, but I have run around Lake Merced. You do not need trail shoes.

I see the race has two aid stations per loop... so every 2-2.5 miles.  That is A LOT for an ultra.  Avoid lingering, obviously.  Lucky you, you won't need to carry a bottle if you don't want to or worry about foods.

50 miles on a 4.5 mile loop may sound kind of mind numbing, but your brain will get used to it.  You will make some new friends and it is cool to see everyone.  Unless you yourself plan on being a leader, it'll be cool to see the leaders a few times.  In lots of ultras, you never do... or you do once.

NOW, if you are trying to run up front, know that this race has a quirky rule.  It has multiple distances... 50k, 50m, 100k.  You can stop at whatever one of those advertised distances that you want and get credit for that race.  Or you can keep going, which will get you taken out of the shorter distance's entry pool and placed into the next longer race.  If you stop between one of the advertised distances (say you decided at 50m to go for 100k... but then dropped out one loop later), you get a DNF and not credit for the advertised distance you completed.  SOOOOO... if you are trying to finish up front, it's kind of hard to tell exactly who you are running against.

You'll ruin your knees!

I have no knowledge of this race. I have run 100 miles on 1) a 5 loop course and 2) a 4 loop course. I have run 120 miles on a 1.1 mile course. That said, what srl says. Also, understand how important it is to avoid the aid station at the end of the loop. Temptation to stop at a shorter distance is strong, particularly with complete race distances as an option. Purposefully avoid thinking about how much you have left, but think no further ahead than ONE MORE LOOP! When it gets bad, NEXT AID STATION! Good luck...

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

While I haven't run this race or any ultras for that matter (I'm working on it!), I've run around Lake Merced many times.  It's all asphalt (unless you squeeze on to the dirt strip alongside the asphalt) and the lake is within the city of SF.  So yes, you'll be running around a lake but it's a pretty urban and non-bucolic lake, if that matters.  But, it would be a reasonably-priced way to get your feet wet on a 50.

4/14/24 Napa Valley 50k, Calistoga, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

DoppleBock

I have run 24 hours on a 1250 meter loop

I have run 24 hour around a beautiful lake / park with a 2.42 mile loop

I think the lake will provide some respite from the monotony.  If I were doing this race - I would want a drop bag or cooler at the aide station ... depending on what was offered at the aide station.

This format offers you a chance to see many runners - But if you are slower or struggling it can be good or bad.  Getting lapped and passed a lot may be tough - But also seeing people may pick you up.

Typically a paved look is built for speed, comaradery and spectators.  It also allows newbies a nice entry into the distance without having to figure out how to carry a lot of stuff.

Not sure what advice you are looking for?

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Thanks all, your suggestions are what I was looking for.  I've been trying to recover from an Achilles issue, but I've been feeling pretty good on my 20 milers (even though I'm only running 3 times a week right now).  I've wanted to transition from Marathon PR attempts to Ultras, where everything is a PR.  I am not looking at winning anything, but I also don't plan on jogging the whole thing.  I'm "guessing" on a flat course like this I might try for 7 hours, but I honestly have no clue what my body will do after 30 miles.  I like that this course is flat, since steep hills would probably aggravate my achilles.

My biggest question was dealing with repeating a 4 mile loop over and over again.  Even with the aid stations so close, I'm wondering if carrying a bottle would be still helpful.  That way I can drink at my leisure instead of rushing something down at the aid station.  Since it's in San Francisco, I doubt heat will be an issue.

I do like the fact they offer the chance to stop at 50k if I choose.  

xor

Danger, danger.  The chance to bail at 50k in a course where you are going by the start/finish (and your car) a bunch of times is not necessarily a positive.  If you want 50 miles, forget about the "50k if I choose" option.

I would personally carry a bottle.  If nothing else, it'll help you learn if a handheld works for you on long stuff.  And with a bottle, you can completely skip the stations a few times (and cut down on the lingering hits to your time).

D-T

Thanks all, your suggestions are what I was looking for.  I've been trying to recover from an Achilles issue, but I've been feeling pretty good on my 20 milers (even though I'm only running 3 times a week right now).  I've wanted to transition from Marathon PR attempts to Ultras, where everything is a PR.  I am not looking at winning anything, but I also don't plan on jogging the whole thing.  I'm "guessing" on a flat course like this I might try for 7 hours, but I honestly have no clue what my body will do after 30 miles.  I like that this course is flat, since steep hills would probably aggravate my achilles.

My biggest question was dealing with repeating a 4 mile loop over and over again.  Even with the aid stations so close, I'm wondering if carrying a bottle would be still helpful.  That way I can drink at my leisure instead of rushing something down at the aid station.  Since it's in San Francisco, I doubt heat will be an issue.

I do like the fact they offer the chance to stop at 50k if I choose.  

Hi Brian,

I have been volunteering at Ruth Anderson for the last 3 years. It is a great low-key event, with a wonderful RD and lots of volunteers. I make all the soup, so I know the food is great too :-) Every year it feels like a gathering of friends. I highly recommend it for a first 50.

However, it is not 'flat', but has gentle rollers. And with 10+ loops for the 50 mile distance, it adds up. The weather around that time is unpredictable. Last year we had perfect running weather, the year before was cooold and two years ago we had 20 mile an hour winds. 

There should be 70 to 90 folks running this year, so you won't get lonely. Both aid-stations are very well stocked, but I would still recommend carrying a bottle. The only folks that don't carry water are those aiming for records. At the aid-station, we will be happy to accommodate any specific request you may have. We have a runner who runs the 100k distance every year and requires, at each aid-station, a bottle filled with water, exactly to the half-way point :-)

Lastly, if you want, we can make sure you don't stop at the 50k distance. 

-D