Ultra Runners

ultra fuel (Read 36 times)

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

hey all. question: i got 2 8-oz salomon soft flasks that i would like to use for fuel instead of messing with a lot of gel packets & sticky garbage but not sure what to put in there. i found the huma xl's but would it be too thick to go through the spout? any thoughts?

Bridle Trails 50k 1-13-24 5:39

Cottontail 6 Hour 4-13-24

Cougar Long Series (May,June,July,Aug 2024)

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

dhuffman63

Trails

I picked up some My Spring packets but haven't tried them yet.  Maybe baby food?

nOOky

You can just mix your gel with water, I have done it with Hammer gel many times. Or try a concentrate of Perpetuem or something similar and take with water. Even Tailwind or something similar will work, it might just be strong until you get some water in your mouth after.

Istria 110k 4-6-2024

WS100 6-29-2024

UTMB 171k 8-30-2024

MCM 10-27-2024

drock69

chia seeds in the huma gels would be a problem I think. You can buy reusable gel containers, they might work better. Maple syrup would work I think, that would be a lot of maple syrup though. I think I have the same Salomon flask, 250ml, got it with my Knee Knacker swag, thought maybe I can use it as an extra bottle in my pack

Club Fat Ass New Years Day 50k - Jan 1 - 6h13m

First Half HM (road) - Feb. 9

Chuckanut 50k - Mar. 21

Sun Run 10k - Apr. 19

BMO Vancouver Marathon - May 3

Vancouver 100k (Club Fat Ass) - 32h07m 2 runs, pacing 100 miler friends

Whistler Alpine Meadows 100 miler - September 25

GC100k

I bought a box of 24 of these:

but found out that I prefer to just drink plain water and slurp a gu, so about 21 of them sit in my drawer.

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

thanks for the ideas. i need to experiment a little. Drock, i made a concoction of maple syrup and molasses but it didnt taste too good.

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

bhearn

Gels are not too thick to go through the spout. I used to buy Hammer gel in the bulk bottles and put it in 5-oz flasks. Works fine. Huma is runnier than Hammer.

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

thanks, yes i should have posted again because i found the huma gels in a large size and it works well in the soft flask and i was able to clean the flask after with warm water. hopefully reducing the amount of garbage in my pack & belt!

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

drock69

good to know, I would have thought the chia seeds in the Huma would be a problem, I guess they're ground up enough. May try that with my Salomon bottle, it's too small for just water. Might try the large Hammer gel container, if I like there gels enough

Club Fat Ass New Years Day 50k - Jan 1 - 6h13m

First Half HM (road) - Feb. 9

Chuckanut 50k - Mar. 21

Sun Run 10k - Apr. 19

BMO Vancouver Marathon - May 3

Vancouver 100k (Club Fat Ass) - 32h07m 2 runs, pacing 100 miler friends

Whistler Alpine Meadows 100 miler - September 25