Ultra Runners

Signed up for first 100 - enough time? (Read 78 times)

Dream Maker

Okay, so I'm horribly out of shape compared to what I've been often before, with very little what I'd call training -- lack of weekly mileage and quality.

I'm signed up for my first 100 mile.

Until February 01, I can get a refund. I don't want to do that, because I've committed and because, well - it's Umstead. It was really hard to get into... Smile

I don't want to show and DNF though.

Do I have time to get to the place where I'll finish the 100 mile and what is the best way to do it, in your opinion?

My biggest weakness in ultras so far has been that I cannot seem to find a way of eating that works for me.  Lots of vomiting as I've tried to start to eat to prepare.

My longest run so far has been 54 miles (a ten hour timed race).  I have been running 14 years, marathons for 6 years (54 in that time), and am pretty new to ultras.  (First ultra was a timed race in mid 2011, first non timed race ultra was this last fall).  My subpar 2013 training is in my log, and follows 2 weeks off with illness in December after a DFL Tallahassee 50.

I don't really like doing things underprepared but things just have not gone the way I would hope... including having my first running injuries in 14 years of running.

I'm torn between going in and backing off until I can prepare better, with a preference for going in if at all possible.  I know people who have finished with less training... but more people who did much more.

Thanks Smile

Uh oh... now what?

Do you know if Umstead has a waiting list?  If they don't, then it is between you and the

voices inside.  If they have a waiting list, find out your real decision point (forfeit all money,

but give someone else a shot)?

What is a long run (moderately comfortable) right now [5:58 p.m. PDT, 25 January 2013]?

What are the most parentheses or brackets you have ever seen in one sentence?

Tapér... two weeks or three?

Is there (might need a confidential reply) an eating problem (disorder) hidden in your background?

Oops, forgot... long run?  B2B or singles, any regular rest days?

I also need a blank check or the routing number for your bank.

Dream Maker

Umstead has no waiting list this year.

I will know more about how far I can run right now February 09 after Delirium 24 hour. I haven't run over a marathon all month, and no back to backs.

I usually taper two weeks for a marathon.  I've never tapered for an ultra, I was planning on 3 but could do 2 if it's better.

I had bulimia as a teen but that was 12 years ago since any problem.  Right now my only problem is I very clearly eat more than I burn, haha.

Do you know if Umstead has a waiting list?  If they don't, then it is between you and the

voices inside.  If they have a waiting list, find out your real decision point (forfeit all money,

but give someone else a shot)?

What is a long run (moderately comfortable) right now [5:58 p.m. PDT, 25 January 2013]?

What are the most parentheses or brackets you have ever seen in one sentence?

Tapér... two weeks or three?

Is there (might need a confidential reply) an eating problem (disorder) hidden in your background?

Kalsarikännit

Would you consider splitting the difference and seeing if you can drop down to the 50 miler?

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Dream Maker

Would you consider splitting the difference and seeing if you can drop down to the 50 miler?

Yes.

Uh oh... now what?

That (dropping to the 400 furlong) would be a lot easier on the mind,

less stress while training and something almost reasonably doable.

Kalsarikännit

Yes.

It is a nice course with good footing. I had a great time running there, so I would personally recommend it. If you don't feel ready to run the 100 but are comfortable with the 50, I'd say go for it.

Just so you know, since it is so fast, I did see people that I think we're walking the majority of it. I think you don't have to run it fast to finish under the 30 hour cut-off. That may not be the way you want to do your first 100, though.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Dream Maker

Just so you know, since it is so fast, I did see people that I think we're walking the majority of it. I think you don't have to run it fast to finish under the 30 hour cut-off. That may not be the way you want to do your first 100, though.

I guess that's one thing I need to decide.  If I will feel good about the 100 if I do it that way, in any case.

Uh oh... now what?

I will know more about how far I can run right now February 09 after Delirium 24 hour. I haven't run over a marathon all month, and no back to backs.

I usually taper two weeks for a marathon.  I've never tapered for an ultra, I was planning on 3 but could do 2 if it's better.

Might consider not seeing how far you can run at the 24-hour, play with a run/walk pattern,

walking out of aid stops in a disciplined (set time sort of thing)... make getting through the

24 hours with your mind still in the game during the last three or four hours.

The taper period is, like most other stuff here, personal.  I found my head likes two weeks.

My last four weeks going into something I pretend to have trained for are hard/hard/medium/easy.

That gives me a medium effort weekend two weeks before the day and two weeks to get

the rest and regrouping done.  Nothing etched in stone.

Play with different foods as the day goes by at the 24-hour.  Do some reading on calorie

intake, look at what you could do (that your somach likes after ten or twelve hours).  The

ability to keep food down after ten or twelve hours is one of the major challenges for a

lot of runners.

I have copies of low-mileage, low-effort sort of training article from a really old UltraRunning

magazine (March '87) if you would like to read it.  Nothing earth shaking, just comments from long

ago.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Hey, heatherruns-

I am also signed up for Umstead.  And Delirium.  I was planning on using Delirium as a training

run aiming for 100k or so.  We'll see I guess.  RA's Buzzie and Perfesser are also running

Delirium.

Actually there is a waiting list for Umstead.  The race director in his email

was quite emphatic that we should let him know if we decide to drop (after February 1)

so that he could give the spot to someone else.

MTA:  See you at Delirium.

steph  

Dream Maker

Hey, heatherruns-

I am also signed up for Umstead.  And Delirium.  I was planning on using Delirium as a training

run aiming for 100k or so.  We'll see I guess.  RA's Buzzie and Perfesser are also running

Delirium.

Actually there is a waiting list for Umstead.  The race director in his email

was quite emphatic that we should let him know if we decide to drop (after February 1)

so that he could give the spot to someone else.

MTA:  See you at Delirium.

See you there Smile

At registration it said not waiting list.

I see now the email says if registration drops below a certain level they will let other runners in.  I definitely would inform if I decide to drop no matter what.

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

If I recall correctly, the 50-mile is automatic - no need to officially drop drop down. (Of course, the rules may have changed. I currently have Umstead as my 50-mile PR Roll eyes )

I have no advice on training other than "do as much as you can without hurting yourself." Black eye

See you at Delirium in 2 weeks! Smile

Liz

pace sera, sera

Dream Maker

Thanks everyone!

Guess I will see how Delirium goes before anything else.

If I recall correctly, the 50-mile is automatic - no need to officially drop drop down. (Of course, the rules may have changed. I currently have Umstead as my 50-mile PR Roll eyes )

+1000

Yes, see how Delirium goes.  But plan on going for 100 at Umstead.  Given your background, you are more than prepared physically.  The challenge will be mental and nutritional.  Treat the 50 mile option as Plan C, where Plan A is to finish within a certain period of time, and Plan B is simply to finish. Umstead, being one of the less difficult (but not easy!) 100s, allows for the chance to take a long break if troubles arise.

What are you eating and drinking on 50+ mile events?  Can you describe the onset in more detail?  Maybe we can all give you some tips to try out at Delirium.  In general, though, stomach problems are caused by too little electrolyte and too much of everything else.  I personally am a fan of S! Caps + water + Clip2 for hydration and most calories.  That is what works for me but I'm sure everyone has varying opinions -- this is the most hotly debated aspect of ultra racing strategy.  Also, try taking a 5-10 minute walking break whenever you eat something solid.

I've only done two 100s...I recall my feelings before the start of the first 100 that I was underprepared. I think back now and if I waited until I was prepared I might have never started the race.

I like seilerts plan A-B-C -- nice options to get it done.