Ultra Runners

One week between races..... (Read 198 times)

Hey all,

I just ran my first marathon (mountain run with glaciers, river crossings, bears, moose) it was awesome!  I've got one week till my first 50 miler.  How would you guys handle this week?  Should I run at all?  Should I just run a little? (I don't have a bike so no cycling) I am looking for suggestions as to how other folks handle these close races?  Thanks.

Into the wild

Hiya YoBear,

flipping 'eck, you've set yourself quite a challenge. So much is down to the individual...I'd probably go to bed for the week 

Seriously, I'd get out for a loosener as soon as you feel able and I'd consider a sports massage to address any issues you might have after the marathon. 

Good luck with the 50 miler..

Shut up and run

Hey all,

I just ran my first marathon (mountain run with glaciers, river crossings, bears, moose) it was awesome!  I've got one week till my first 50 miler.  How would you guys handle this week?  Should I run at all?  Should I just run a little? (I don't have a bike so no cycling) I am looking for suggestions as to how other folks handle these close races?  Thanks.

Sounds fantastic,

I would have a 48 hour rest and go out for a short maintenance run just to loosen yourself up again, certainly get some good square meals under your belt. No run from now on will make you fitter so you may as well enjoy the time recovering and getting ready for the big one next week.

Jerry
        A runners blog-updated daily

Hey all,

Either walk a few miles or run a few easy miles every day.  This will help your legs recover, which is the primary concern when races are so close together.  Visualize yourself at the starting line next weekend with legs that are fresh, loose, and strong.  Stay off your feet the day before the 50 miler.