Ultra Runners

ultra training resources (Read 69 times)

Birdwell

I'm getting more and more interested in doing a 100 mile race. I have a race in mind (Black Hills in 2014).

I want to be fully ready to complete the race, and to perform well. I've been researching online (Kevin Sayers ultrnr.com has been my go to, I think I've read every article twice), but I want to branch out a bit.

What books, online sites, magazines etc. would you recommend for the aspiring ultrarunner?

There are a few limiting factors that will affect my training, but I can devote between 7-9 hours, on average, per week. Where should I start?

xor

irunfar.com is pretty interesting... although, honestly, it is MORE interesting to me now that I "know" some of the fast folks (or at least know of them) than when I was new.

There's also the "ultra list".  John or someone will have to explain that.  In a way, it is a time machine visit to 1990-era technology and presentation.  I gave up on it.  Lots of folks still love it.

The irunfar dude... Bryon, though many of us still call him "Byron"... wrote a book called "Relentless Forward Progress".  For a newbie, you will find some training info and good discussion.  Honestly, for an oldbie, that book is... well... lacking.

There are several essay books of various stories which are a hoot to read.  Someone else will link them I'm sure.

And of course there is Dean :-/

Imminent Catastrophe

I'm getting more and more interested in doing a 100 mile race. I have a race in mind (Black Hills in 2014).

I want to be fully ready to complete the race, and to perform well. I've been researching online (Kevin Sayers ultrnr.com has been my go to, I think I've read every article twice), but I want to branch out a bit.

What books, online sites, magazines etc. would you recommend for the aspiring ultrarunner?

I'd start by running the Black Hills 50M or 100k this year. Seriously, knowing the course is huge and can make or break you when running the 100. I'm running the Tahoe 100M this year, and having run the 50M last year gives me a lot of confidence, because I know what to expect. That is the single most important factor in finishing an Ultra, knowing what's ahead, and having run that course before will give you the confidence you will need to get there.

I realize that it's not what you asked, about online resources, but that's my advice.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Snizzle

There are a few limiting factors that will affect my training, but I can devote between 7-9 hours, on average, per week. Where should I start?

sory, din't mention effort 'cause I din't know his fitnes level

Kalsarikännit

There is no quality in there.

One of the worst mistakes I have ever made in training was neglecting tempo runs and speed work. You can put in hour after hour (I had many 100+ mile weeks), but in the end, it may just make you slower. At least once per week I would throw in a LT run. There are a million benefits to this (none that I will explain here, it is covered in every running book).  Drills and strides are useful to throw in at the end of a run.  A benefit that no one talks about is when trail running there are less trips and falls because you have worked to eliminate the ultra shuffle In favor of a stronger stride where you actually pick your feet up! I now run less miles with more quality and I'm a better runner for it.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Kalsarikännit

sory, din't mention effort 'cause I din't know his fitnes level

You don't have to apologize or erase old posts. We are all just floating ideas around in here. I assure you, no one here has all the answers. I'm still figuring it out as I go along, but I have just had a lot of races where I have screwed up, so I have picked up a thing or two up from my goofs.

Fitness can be judged in many forms (speed, endurance, mountain running?). Also, no matter what the runners fitness level is, a mix of effort levels will produce the most gains. You can't give 100% every run.

There is a phrase that has been floating around RA for a long time and I believe in it:  Run lots, mostly easy, sometimes hard. This is simple, but it is gold.

(And sorry to sound like a know-it-all.  I have had 20 bad races for every one good one, but I also pay attention to the people that do it right).

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

FurShirtFlyer

I highly recommend reading " A Step Beyond: A Definitive Guide to Ultrarunning" by Don Allison. You can get it here: http://www.ultrarunning.com/ultra/merchandise/a-step-beyonda-definitive.shtml . (NFI)

Birdwell

perfesserr, that's an excellent idea I hadn't thought of. Thanks! Suggestions and advice are always welcome.

As far as training goes, I didn't put anything down, because I'm currently working on base building. I'm finally averaging 30+, and for this year, my goal will be to get my average around 50-60. I'll get into some very specific training in Jan 2014.

current fitness level is o.k., but nothing to write home about. I'm currently doing at least one speed session per week (800 repeats, HM pace runs, etc.), plus big hill work (500'+ per mile). I also usually get in one solid long trail run each week (generally a mix of game trails, singletrack and ATV trails)

All of my training takes place at 6000'+ elevation, and I live in a relatively hilly place (average gain around 250' per mile)

Thanks for everything so far!

BH Slogger

I too had poured over Kevin Sayer's site before my first 100 miler, reading every article over and over. I helped a lot since I can find little advice among my running buddies. I belong to a runner's club, but no one is interested in running 100's.  Another great site is http://run100s.com/ - many good articles and links.

I am glad to hear you are interested in doing Black Hills 100. I am running it this year, as it is in my backyard... and I want to see if I am able to finish a tough trail ultra at age 50. That is the main reason, since I would be freaking out if I wasn't somewhat familiar with the terrain. I'm with Perfesser R here with the suggestion of doing the 50m or 100k this year. You will get a good feel for the course. My first 100 was Lean Horse, also in the Black Hills, but no comparison in difficulty level. I have been able to train a lot on the course and it is tough. My usual forest road / ATV trail pace is 5 mph but is a solid 4 mph on the Centennial Trail.

Let me know if you have any questions about the Black Hills 100. I am giving up my coveted Dalton Lake aid station duties to run it this year, but will be back for the duration in 2014. Cool

Imminent Catastrophe

perfesserr, that's an excellent idea I hadn't thought of. Thanks! Suggestions and advice are always welcome.

Glad to help. In addition, I'd second WrigleyGirl's advice of doing some speedwork, by that I mean tempo runs. She knows her shit. You will almost certainly not run tempo pace during a 100 but tempo training will allow you to run at your 100-mile pace more comfortably, knowing that you have that reserve fitness if needed.

Maybe I'll see you at Black Hills 100 2014, that's a tough, awesome race and I would love to do it, The RD has a great track record and I know it will be a great event.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016