Ultra Runners

Tahoe Rim Trail - 2012 (Read 445 times)

I see that we have Gumbee and Smalcom in the 100 and Perfesser in the 50 this weekend.  Anyone else running?

Good luck to all.

Good luck Gumbee, Perfesser, and Smalcom!

Thanks for the shout out! Weather should be pretty good. 70s during the day, but it stays reasonably cool and breezy on the rim. I'm expecting to get cold at night. It sure is beautiful up here!

~Sara
        It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great. ~ Jimmy Dugan

DoppleBock

Who are you?  Just kidding - Have a great race!

Thanks for the shout out! Weather should be pretty good. 70s during the day, but it stays reasonably cool and breezy on the rim. I'm expecting to get cold at night. It sure is beautiful up here!

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Imminent Catastrophe

Thanks! Like Sara said, it's really beautiful here but the air sure is thin!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

Love that course.... for 50.

I can't imagine, mentally, doing that twice for some reason... maybe that ridiculous climb out of the lodge.

Looks like thing went/are going well for them.

• Black Canyon 100k
              • RRR
              • Zane Grey 100k
              • High Lonesome 100
              • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
              • The Bear 100
              • Javelina Jundred (?)

Imminent Catastrophe

Love that course.... for 50.

I can't imagine, mentally, doing that twice for some reason... maybe that ridiculous climb out of the lodge.

Looks like thing went/are going well for them.

neither can I.

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

A couple of foreign names but looks like Sara was 2nd?!?! 

• Black Canyon 100k
                  • RRR
                  • Zane Grey 100k
                  • High Lonesome 100
                  • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
                  • The Bear 100
                  • Javelina Jundred (?)
                    ProfesserR! How did your day go??? Got it done in 25:33. 4th woman. I think a lot of people dropped. That was a tough race. I though maybe, just maybe I could beat my San Diego 100 time, but missed it by 20 min or so. I'm thrilled with my race though... this is a tougher course and at altitude. My stomach behaved and I was able to stay well-fueled and hydrated even though the heat. Sounds like a lot if folks got dehydrated. Absolutely BEAUTIFUL course, incredible aid stations/support, and generally lovely trails. Unsurprisingly, the higher altitude was tough in me... everything is above 6,500 ft. The two climbs (Diamond Peak - mile 30 & 80 and Red House - mile 16 & 66 ) which are done twice in the 100 suck big time. They are straight up (no switchbacks) and terrible kitty-litter-type footing. Diamond Peak nearly killed the second time around. I definitely hiked up ut backwards at a few spots. Luckily my husband started pacing me there and helped me keeo it together. The good thing is these four are really the only tough climbs. The Snow Valley Peak climb is the highest point at 9k feet but it's more gradual and has good footing. We had the pleasure of seeing the sunrise as we hit the top there.

~Sara
                    It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great. ~ Jimmy Dugan

Who are you?  Just kidding - Have a great race!

HA! I know, right? Been busy getting ready to move and go back to school.

~Sara

Congrats Sara!  Amazing performance.  I looked at the splits and you reeled in and passed a ton of people in the last part of the race.  Great job holding it together.

Got it done in 25:33. 4th woman..

Congratulations on an awesome race!

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn

Got it done in 25:33. 4th woman. 

Awesome,  congrats!

Imminent Catastrophe

Sara, I saw how well you did, congrats! That was a really tough race with the altitude like you said, hey it's a Hardrock qualifier for a reason! I cruised into Diamond Peak Lodge (M30) AS feeling fresh and energetic. I saw some runners dropping there for heat/dehydration but I felt great. Just 2 miles, 1700 ft higher and 65 minutes later it had all gone south. I ran out of water 1/3 of the way up the hill and was seriously doubting that I could make it to Bull Wheel (M32). "Taste of hell", indeed. Climbing up a ski run in kitty litter at 8000 ft in the blazing sun without water...it doesn't get much better than that! Anyway I made it to Bull Wheel, totally dehydrated, and spent some time rehydrating, but never really got my mojo back. Ended up with a 13:20, about an hour longer than my goal, but in daylight at least. It's amazing how quickly things can go wrong in this sport. 

So at the finish, I was watching a 100-miler preparing to start his second loop and I'm thinking, "There is no way in hell I would ever attempt that". Now, 48 hours later, I'm already making plans for the 100 next year. Damn. 

Sorry I didn't see you, but I did spot the "S Malcolm" drop bag at Tunnel Creek. Partial credit!

DoppleBock

ProfesserR! How did your day go??? Got it done in 25:33. 4th woman. I think a lot of people dropped. That was a tough race. I though maybe, just maybe I could beat my San Diego 100 time, but missed it by 20 min or so. I'm thrilled with my race though... this is a tougher course and at altitude. My stomach behaved and I was able to stay well-fueled and hydrated even though the heat. Sounds like a lot if folks got dehydrated. Absolutely BEAUTIFUL course, incredible aid stations/support, and generally lovely trails. Unsurprisingly, the higher altitude was tough in me... everything is above 6,500 ft. The two climbs (Diamond Peak - mile 30 & 80 and Red House - mile 16 & 66 ) which are done twice in the 100 suck big time. They are straight up (no switchbacks) and terrible kitty-litter-type footing. Diamond Peak nearly killed the second time around. I definitely hiked up ut backwards at a few spots. Luckily my husband started pacing me there and helped me keeo it together. The good thing is these four are really the only tough climbs. The Snow Valley Peak climb is the highest point at 9k feet but it's more gradual and has good footing. We had the pleasure of seeing the sunrise as we hit the top there.

Sara kicks butt!

Nice to see you around !

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !