Ultra Runners

Question on Weekly miles for a 50 (Read 522 times)

sherpagirl

Sherpagirl

Hello, Its great to have this resource. I have a question about what my weekly miles should be when training for a 50. Last year I ran my first 50. I ramped up pretty quick. I went from a summer of heavy road biking (I was in shape but not running) to 2 months of 60 - 80 mile months. In October I started running 30 mile weeks, November I topped out at 40 mile weeks. Unfortunately we had a rough winter and after December I ran 95% of my miles on the treadmill. I did my 50 in 13.5 hours ... not great but I finished. After my 50 I got really sick. I struggled all summer with bad runs and frequent bouts of sickness. In August I backed off and started aggressively cross training - strength, biking, hiking and running twice a week. I am feeling much better. I would like to run another 50 around May 5th. I am currently working out 6 days a week. Here is my current work out schedule: Monday: Off Tuesday: Weight training Wednesday: Spinning – 1 Hr Thursday: Interval Training (3 -4) Miles w/ strength Training Friday: Easy Spinning/ Stretching Saturday: X-country Ski, Snow shoe, hike – 2 – 3 hours, 6 – 10 miles Sunday: Long run w/ hills 6 – 8 miles, 1.5 - 2 hours I plan on starting to increase the number of days I run and increase the miles. I am hoping to be doing my 20 mile long runs again by the end of January. What do you think of my approach? What weekly miles should I shoot for? Thanks for the Help SG
    If you're bored ask why you're boring

You'll ruin your knees!

Hi sherpagirl, Without seeing your log (hope you're having success moving it over here), I'd have to say that moving from your current work out sched to 20 mile long runs by the end of January is pretty agressive and may be a pretty big risk of injury. Look at your post..."I ramped up pretty quick". Sounds to me like you are heading towards making the same mistakes you made in your first 50. I am sorry, I know that isn't what you want to hear, but you may want to back off the 50 mile goal (or at least push it out a little) and shoot for a 50K. Again, I am only basing these comments on your post, no perspective on actual running history other than that. Getting ready for a 50, I would look to get some 30+ mile runs in and do it on terrain that is similar to my target run (at least as close as I could get). Learning what works and doesn't work as far as hydration and nutrition will be the focus of these long runs (and to build up for the time on your feet). I know many folks that like to do back to back long runs...20 mi on Sat/15 on Sun, for example. I have been successful without doing a lot of back to backs, just pile on the miles. Whatever you decide, best of luck to you. Be sure to keep us posted on your plans/progress! Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

sherpagirl

Sherpagirl

Thanks for the info, I have decided to run the 25 at CP and push my 50 out another month to the race in Wyoming. That is the race I really want to run and a month between 50s isn't enough recovery this early in my ultra career. Thanks SG
          Hi Sherpagirl, Did you go from 40 miles per week last November directly to 60-80 miles per week? How did your body hold up (besides getting sick after the race)? I've been having issues with my right hip and ankle and am worried that increasing my miles might exacerbate these issues. I'm considering wearing my heart rate monitor again to just make sure I keep at a slower pace so I don't hurt myself worse. Good luck with your training! I'm signed up for my first race on March 1st and may or may not actually run it. Keep us posted! I'm interested in hearing about how your training is going.
          sherpagirl

Sherpagirl

Hi, I never went much past 50 miles a week. But I did go from doing 8 -10 mile long runs to 20 mile long runs with in a weeks time. That was the biggest jump I made. I fared pretty well at first. Then after a month my IT band started giving me fits. I rolled back for a couple of weeks and used the pillar of pain a lot. Have you had your shoes checked? Maybe your stride is off a little. You know running a 50 is one of the most intense experiences I have had. It was painfull but I wear my race shirt with so much pride. March seems tight but if you are carring a pretty good base you can probably do it.
              Up until the last 3 weeks I was averaging 40 miles per week over the prior 18 weeks with my peak week being 61 miles. I'm hoping this is enough of a base to work off of. I'm excited to hear that you averaged about 50 miles per week and still ran a 50 race. I thought I'd have to be averaging 70-80 miles per week. I've never gone that high before even for one week. In fact, my highest ever was the 61 mile week I had about 1.5 months or so ago. You give me hope! Smile
              sherpagirl

Sherpagirl

I was able to run it but now looking back I will do things differently in the future. You know the 50 hurt quite a bit. The race was 3 laps. My first lap was right with in my goal time, my second about 15 - 20 min off, the last lap was pretty ugly but I got through it. I was basically running between aid stations which were 3-4 miles apart. The last 7 miles my running was down to what I refer to as the woggle. I think my long run stategy was pretty good. I was doing weekly 20 mile long runs about 3 months before the race. My biggest hole was the longevity of my base training and base miles. I have spent some time looking at the weekly miles for the other ultra runners and it seems that 50 - 70 is the average weekly miles. So you are pretty close. I think I would have liked to have had your current base. I think my race would have been a little less painful and my time would have been more consistant. Good luck !!! I am training for my 2nd 50 in June.

You'll ruin your knees!

I am training for my 2nd 50 in June.
                  Bighorn?

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

sherpagirl

Sherpagirl

Jlynnebob, Yes, that race sounds really amazing. I was supposed to pace someone at Leadville this year from Sheridan. Everyone I have talked to says thats a great race. Did you run Rocky last year?

You'll ruin your knees!

Jlynnebob, Yes, that race sounds really amazing. I was supposed to pace someone at Leadville this year from Sheridan. Everyone I have talked to says thats a great race. Did you run Rocky last year?
                      Rocky Raccoon? Yes, I did it in 2006, but did Bighorn, Cascade Crest and Cactus Rose (100's) this year along with some other ultras. Bighorn IS awesome! I have a report on my experience this year at http://www.nttr.org/html/bighorn2007_lballard.htm, and there is a link to some of my pictures. I also went to Bighorn in 2004 to do the 50 mile run and was blown away with the beauty of the place. Why don't you make your log and profile public so folks can see you are from CO rather than trying to remember it? C'mon, we don't bite... Lynn B MTA: don't wait too long to sign up for Bighorn, it has filled pretty early the last few years and the 2008 trend is for races to fill even faster!

sherpagirl

Sherpagirl

Good advice on Bighorn. They haven't posted the date yet and the website I have doesn't exist any more. the one I have is www.bighorntrailrun.com. I am still trying to get my log moved over. I wasn't a CR refuge so my log history is in a different format. Hopefully after Eric returns. SG
                          Wow Lynn! Those pictures at Bighorn are absolutely unbelievable! Those views must be why you do this, eh? Coming from AZ, I am in awe at the beauty of that place! It's so very green!
                          sherpagirl

Sherpagirl

They are amazing. I was looking at the shots from the Hard rock wow thats a cool race.

You'll ruin your knees!

Wow Lynn! Those pictures at Bighorn are absolutely unbelievable! Those views must be why you do this, eh? Coming from AZ, I am in awe at the beauty of that place! It's so very green!
                              Yep, the scenery is a big reason I love to travel to races. Some of the views at Cascade Crest were incredible, but the weather was overcast and the pics don't do the course justice! Lynn B

My sweet new crank!

Another set of eyes would help me...this is my next few weeks leading to a 50m. Any thoughts comments from those experienced in ultras? This will be for the Ice Age 50. Mon Tue Wed Thur Fri Sat Sun Total 17-Mar 0 4 10 8 0 24 10 56 24-Mar 0 4 10 6 0 10 8 38 31-Mar 4 8 12 15 9 0 10 58 7-Apr 4 12 8 0 0 0 31 55 14-Apr 0 2 6 8 0 26 10 52 21-Apr 0 4 10 8 0 20 6 48 28-Apr 0 4 6 6 0 10 6 32 5-May 4 3 2 0 0 50 0 59 Thanks for any advice!
                                Ryan O'D Gurnee, IL by way of Madison, WI via Wichita, KS via Denver, CO