Ultra Runners

Vol State, Hardrock, Badwater, oh my. (Read 59 times)

bhearn

And for good measure, Tahoe Rim Trail and Vermont 100, all in the past week. What an incredible week for ultras. I absolutely could not keep up with all my friends running, pacing, or crewing at one of the above. It would have taken more than 24/7 on Facebook.

But special congratulations to Pete Kostelnick (who I ran with at Desert Solstice) for breaking the Badwater course record (formerly Valmir Nunes') by nearly an hour, and Aly Venty (who I ran with at Spartathlon) for also breaking the women's CR there.

Joe Fejes' CR also fell at Vol State, thanks to Greg Armstrong, member of the 2015 National 24-hour team. Someone I have to compete with to make next year's team. Also 8 days after a solo Badwater 146 run (Badwater to Whitney summit). Gulp.

Ultra Cowboy

Not sure if you follow Jimmy Dean Freeman on Facebook or his podcast, but he posted a picture of his Badwater finish and expressed disappointment about stopping at the portal instead of going all the way to the summit. MTA : He wasn't REALLY disappointed when I read it again and expressed appreciation for his family.... "...wasn't the race I wanted but the race I needed.."

Sitting next to him is his toddler daughter.

No words....well I had words, but I can't imagine being disappointed to finish one of the top 3 toughest ultras in the world while still having a loving wife and family.

Sometimes I think that these pinnacles of over achievement are indicative of an emptiness somewhere deep inside.

WYBMADIITY

Save