Ultra Runners

Hardrock 100 (Read 649 times)

DoppleBock

My quads are trashed from all the downhills.  Heck... everything is trashed.  Time for a beer or two and a nap...  Big grin

I'll try to get some pics and a RR together soon.  When I'm coherent enough to do simple things like remember my kids' names.  Smile

Great stuff - nice finish line video - congrats

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

And that was just the first set of storms...

HO-LY CRAP!!  Shocked

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

You'll ruin your knees!

Based on my limited experience on the course, this is NOT the most challenging water crossing Hardrockers faced this year...

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

HO-LY CRAP!!  Shocked

Seriously.  It was INSANE this year.  My pacer and I spooned under a rock for 30+ minutes, shivering on the edge of hypothermia, because we didn't want to get fried to a crisp on an exposed slope above treeline!!!  4 lightning storms, hours of hail, hours of rain, high winds, deep mud, standing water, rivers of water in the trails, steep exposed snow fields, two creek crossing that were flash-flooding...  wow.  Intense this year.  Smile

You'll ruin your knees!

Chris, how was the crossing just after Grant Swamp and before KT???  That one has some nasty potential.

I was on top of Oscar's in 2009 with some nasty lightning... All rock, most of which has some metal deposits... not a lot of fun... Anxious, I was...

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Chris, how was the crossing just after Grant Swamp and before KT???  That one has some nasty potential.

I was on top of Oscar's in 2009 with some nasty lightning... All rock, most of which has some metal deposits... not a lot of fun... Anxious, I was...

That crossing was totally fine, oddly.  There was a huge logjam there this year, so it was just a simple walk.

The South Mineral Creek crossing just after KT was off the handle.  It wasn't roped and was just raging (with a large waterfall just downstream). A kayaker died near there a week before the race, so I was a little sketched out by that one. 

The Mineral Creek crossing (by Hwy 550, near the finish) was also flash-flooding and was waist to chest deep.  Thank god it was roped.  That was the most dangerous part of the entire race, I think.

DoppleBock

Sounds like a good year to set a course PR 

Seriously.  It was INSANE this year.  My pacer and I spooned under a rock for 30+ minutes, shivering on the edge of hypothermia, because we didn't want to get fried to a crisp on an exposed slope above treeline!!!  4 lightning storms, hours of hail, hours of rain, high winds, deep mud, standing water, rivers of water in the trails, steep exposed snow fields, two creek crossing that were flash-flooding...  wow.  Intense this year.  Smile

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

You'll ruin your knees!

Chris came upon this just after 5am on Saturday...

AFTER climbing up a much snowier version (probably a lot of ice...) of this ...IN THE DARK!

Again, great race, Chris!

Thanks Lynn, and everyone... it was really fun.  Challenging but totally fun. 

And yeah, Virginius was all (really steep) snow, but Roch Horton gave me a shot of whiskey and some pierogis at the top, so it was all worth it! 

The South Mineral Creek crossing just after KT was off the handle.  It wasn't roped and was just raging (with a large waterfall just downstream). A kayaker died near there a week before the race, so I was a little sketched out by that one. 

Scary stuff Chris.  Congrats on an amazing race.

Top 'O the World!

A little late "Hey!" from Grouse Gulch, Chris!   Huge Congrats to you!! Smile

See you next year?

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group