Ultra Runners

Minimum long run to do a 50K (Read 230 times)

t_runner

Hi all, I'm having a slew of setbacks that keep from getting my base mileage/weekly long run(s) where I would like them in order to do the Mt. Diablo 50K Jun 8 (which I already signed up for). What is the minimum long run you would feel comfortable suggesting to an ultra beginner to get in before daring a 50K? I did a 50K in January after a decent build-up in December and January where I ran up to 40-45 miles per week pretty slowly, and the longest I did there was about 2 weeks before, where I did a 10 miler followed the next day by a 20 miler (20 miler was run/hiked and took about 5 hours so it was good 'time on your feet' training). I felt like I trained perfectly for that race because I finished very strong, probably felt better than most of my marathons at the end (also ran it a lot slower than most of my marathons!) This time around, June 8th is creeping up, and all I did was a 15 miler 2.5 weeks ago, and a 8 miler/12 miler weekend combination last weekend. Both of those this past weekend were a bit painful, an old reoccurence of inflammation in my right arch. Because of that, I think I need to take maybe 5-7 days off and will have to really fight / get lucky in order to get even one 18-20 miler in by the end of May. This training is all on terrain much easier to handle than the actual race. The race has a 25K option. I have never backed out of a race or shortened the distance, and of course I don't WANT to, but I also don't want to hurt myself. If I attempt all 50K, I have no time goal except to finish in the 9 hour course limit. Any thoughts/advice? Thanks!
    Purdey

Self anointed title

Good luck! Remember that a 50k isn't really that much further than a marathon, so you previous marathon experience will hold you in good stead. If a 20 miler worked for your marathons, you probably don't need to go much beyond that for a 50k! (Unless you want to be up with the front runners!)

Into the wild

Hi all, This time around, June 8th is creeping up, and all I did was a 15 miler 2.5 weeks ago, and a 8 miler/12 miler weekend combination last weekend. Both of those this past weekend were a bit painful, an old reoccurence of inflammation in my right arch. Because of that, I think I need to take maybe 5-7 days off and will have to really fight / get lucky in order to get even one 18-20 miler in by the end of May. This training is all on terrain much easier to handle than the actual race. The race has a 25K option. I have never backed out of a race or shortened the distance, and of course I don't WANT to, but I also don't want to hurt myself. If I attempt all 50K, I have no time goal except to finish in the 9 hour course limit. Any thoughts/advice? Thanks!
        Hi t_runner, lets get the advice from inexperienced folk out of the way first Evil grin It's folly for me to offer advice without experience but if it were me in your position I'd bbe most concerned with your recurrence of an old injury and the time you have to take away to recover. With that in mind you might play safe on this one and do the 25k, if you feel ok in the month leading up to it. Bear in mind this comes from someone who just tried to run further than he should and inflamed a long dead in the past injury....boy, is it ever frustrating!!!! Good luck with your training and choice Smile

Shut up and run

t_runner

Thanks! You confirmed what I was kind of thinking. I will probably say if I can get a 20 miler in totally pain free, I will go for the 50K. If not, I will cut down to 25K. It's a double loop, so I can make this decision race day also. I have this pride thing about shortening my race, but I suppose I better get used to the thought of cutting back/DNF'ing if I'm going to continue in the ultra path and not hurt myself. I definitely DO NOT want to deal with this arch pain anymore... A year ago I went to a doc and physical therapist and improved drastically by doing core strength and stretching exercises. But then I go for a while without pain and start slacking on the exercises, and when I do that, it tends to crop up again. I just need to be more consistent with core strength/stretching/flexibility, but I think I need to take some time and recover first. How long that recovery time is will probably determine what I can do. I appreciate the advice!