Ultra Runners

Training on trails (Read 91 times)

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

From 1 - 10. How important is trail running for 100 training?With 10 being the most important.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Which 100s did you have in mind? It probably makes a different if the course is single track, groomed trails, mostly road, more technical. etc.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Which 100s did you have in mind? It probably makes a different if the course is single track, groomed trails, mostly road, more technical. etc.

Bratram 100. Not technical. I run my second 50k on it in 2010.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

I have not looked up your goal race, but generally I 'd rate training on trails (or roads) which are similar to the race trails (roads) at 8-10. If you can't get to natural surfaces and terrain that are suitable, try to train for certain features on treadmills, stair steppers, with weights, etc., hoping that it will all come together on race day.

You cannot train for running at high altitude without running at high altitude (without using some sophisticated gear that most of us don't have), so you'd probably have to deal with that in the race, if it is at high altitude.

It is also difficult to train for technical trails without running on them more or less fairly often.

However, there are many possibilities to get atleast somewhat prepared for what the challenges will be, and a good part of running a 100-miler is the mental disposition. And,let's not forget, some runners can adapt to different conditions very well, and run successfully on trails which they have not specifically trained for.

I feel better when I know what to expect, and when I have had time to develop strategies and techniques to deal with most challenges that could come up in the race,but that's just me.

Run for fun.

From 1 - 10. How important is trail running for 100 training?With 10 being the most important.

In a perfect world, we would train as we plan to race, especially similar terrain so I would say 10

Since the real world gets in the way I would put it at a 5 or so. Try to fit it in but don't stress if you can't.

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Thanks

Plan is to start running on trails within 100 days of goal race.There are two trails 20 miles from my house. Stone Mountain- 5 mile trail. GA Olympic Horsepark - 17 miles of trails. Neither is technical. Stone Mtn has a section with  elevation of 786  to 1686 going up the mountain

Stone Mtn

SCHEDULE 2016--

unsolicited chatter

You'll ruin your knees!

You don't necessarily have to find a "trail".  You can run in the grass alongside a roadway or in the center median of some divided lanes.  You can also run on golf courses (be respectful of the greens) at night often without lights.  Run up the center of the fairway, skirt around the green and watch out for sand traps!

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

I looked it up, and it looks great to me. Quite a hill, but it should be fun running it up and down a couple times, or combine the mountain with some flat trails for distance.

You can set up your car as your base camp, and run loops from there, to get the distance. Just check out the times when the area is open for use, so that you won't get towed or fined.

Run for fun.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

I looked it up, and it looks great to me. Quite a hill, but it should be fun running it up and down a couple times, or combine the mountain with some flat trails for distance.

You can set up your car as your base camp, and run loops from there, to get the distance. Just check out the times when the area is open for use, so that you won't get towed or fined.

It is a State Park. 6 AM - 12 AM.

SCHEDULE 2016--

unsolicited chatter

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Looks like Bartram 100's has been canceledSad

steph  

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

I emailed  the RD to find out.

Looks like Bartram 100's has been canceledSad

SCHEDULE 2016--

unsolicited chatter

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

I emailed  the RD to find out.

I just sent you a PM with a copy of the RD's letter.

Also his new email address.

steph