Ultra Runners

Old Pueblo 50 Mile Race Report (Read 488 times)

Imminent Catastrophe

Here

Somewhat long. As usual, I learned some valuable lessons and tried to make it useful.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

xor

I'm still reading the report, but about a page down into it is a nice map.  For me, it is a map of Boston.  Curious Smile

Imminent Catastrophe

Strange. Here's a link, if interested.

Looks like the HTML embed code on RA is buggy. Is anyone else getting anything other than a map of Southeastern Arizona?

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

I just pulled up the report.  Both links show Boston.  Are you sure you know where you ran?  Are you sure maybe you weren't partaking of a little peyote while runnin' ye ole pueblo?? Big grin

MTA: I commented on your blog site, but congratulations, Russ!  You overcame the nasty, negative voices. 

The pics are gorgeous.  I love the desert, so will have to put this one on my "Wish List."

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Imminent Catastrophe

Strange. It looks like this on my and DW's laptops:

Carl A

I'm seeing Arizona in the map in the report.

Nice report, and gorgeous pix.

Nothing like slamming 3 cups of Coke to lift the spirits!

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

Imminent Catastrophe

Are you guys using IE9? Apparently there's a problem specific to it. And, why are you using IE9?

xor

Are you guys using IE9? Apparently there's a problem specific to it. And, why are you using IE9?

No.

Firefox, current release.

Ah, ok, now I see a piece of what's going on.  When I load up your report, I get an error from firefox telling me that a script is taking too long.  The script url is pointing at RA and I assume it is the map.

And, for whatever reason, I assume that when the script fails (or firefox gives up on it), "Boston" is the default thing it presents.

A script on this page may be busy, or it may have stopped responding. You can stop the script now, or you can continue to see if the script will complete.

Script: http://maps.gstatic.com/intl/en_us/mapfiles/api-3/4/5/main.js:23

If I tell it to stop the script, I get a map of Boston (because I assume that's the default).  If I tell it to continue, it spins and spins and sends Firefox into a nonresponsive state for a bit, then comes back... with the proper AZ map.

Perhaps this is a client side issue.  Don't know. I will reboot when I have a few minutes and see if it goes away.  But since this is also happening to at least one other user (fatozzig), it is possible it ain't me.

MEANWHILE: I finished your report... sounds like a hard day!  That's the thing about a long race... you can bonk and then recover and continue.  All in the same race.  WOOHOO for the buckle! How do you feel today?

Imminent Catastrophe

MEANWHILE: I finished your report... sounds like a hard day!  That's the thing about a long race... you can bonk and then recover and continue.  All in the same race.  WOOHOO for the buckle! How do you feel today?

Yeah, that's a cool award. The next day, apart from being ravenously hungry, I felt OK, about the same as after my last road marathon (on asphalt). The more I run on trails, the less I like road races.

Great job Russ!!! Was this really your first 50 miler??? For some odd reason I thought you were an old pro at ultra's 

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Congrats, I am jealous

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn

Congrats, I am jealous

+1

And what Stevie said about Firefox.

And what Rocken said about you being an old pro at ultras.

Leslie
                          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Imminent Catastrophe

Great job Russ!!! Was this really your first 50 miler??? For some odd reason I thought you were an old pro at ultra's 

I'm a poseur. 

Congrats! Very impressive!
                              runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Congrats. Great Job.Great report. I signed up for

Enoree Passage 40M Ultra Trail Run

May 1. Will definitely be thinking of you when I start to bonk.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/