Ultra Runners

Glacail Trail 50 Mile report (Read 50 times)

TripleBock

Cross posted

posted: 10/13/2013 at 1:16 PM    

I found out I cannot run a race for fun - I ran Glacial 50M hard.  I do not think I could have run much faster in my current fitness

From step #1 both knees felt like knives stabbing them ~ Inside and out.  Very small steps walking uphill made it bearable.  Down hills were slow with small steps also.  Some where .between mile 15-17 I fell a few times.  I also bombed a downhill enduring the searing pain.  Between the falling and the 1 bombing the knees started to loosen up.

Last 13.3 miles ~ from Butler Lake aide station to finish I was miserable - Eating a gel would leave me out of breath.  I worked as hard as possible running all the downs and flats and some of the little uphills.

I finished 15/70 ish

4:49 / 4:43 ~ 9:32

I ran my WS100 qualifier, but failed to run a pace that left me feeling good.  I am wrecked ~ But that is fine.

I stayed until the time cutoff (12 hours) to hang out with friends.

My aerobic capacity was still decent, but my legs are weak

I am fuller bodied than Dopplebock

TripleBock

BTW

Weather was amazing low 40s at the start ... Maybe 60 for a high

Michael Borst 20 YO from Slinger (Go's to UW-Lacrosse) ... Smashed the 50 mile CR my 31 minutes, running a 6:40.  The race is 25+ years old and 6:40 is a great time.

His dad took 4th in the 50k

The 50 miler was won by sea legs girl

http://sealegsgirl.blogspot.com/

Her husband won the 50k in 3:56 .. CR is 3:47

I am not sure of the female winner of the 50k

bhearn

Way to go. Hope to see you at WS. I got lucky on the raffle and am already in. How many tickets will you have?

TripleBock

Funny ~ I will only have 2, but I just did not want to start over in 2014 with 1.  I see they draw 6 people in each lottery.  I wonder how many total tickets were in the raffle ... maybe the raffle is better odds than the regular lottery?  I may get a few raffle tickets for the next drawing.

Way to go. Hope to see you at WS. I got lucky on the raffle and am already in. How many tickets will you have?

jjameson

Jealous.

Just a message to self  that a 50 mile race can still beat you up pretty good (as can a 50K or road marathon for that matter -- depending on how hard you run it!), especially if you are undertrained.

I was reminded of that at Superior when I felt really really bad

bhearn

I see they draw 6 people in each lottery.  I wonder how many total tickets were in the raffle ... maybe the raffle is better odds than the regular lottery?  I may get a few raffle tickets for the next drawing.

The lottery odds are way better than the raffle, 7% last year with one ticket. I figured the odds at the raffle drawing in June, but I forget the numbers now. Even with 10 raffle tickets my odds were much slimmer. Funny, it was the very first of my 10 that won.

But hey, every little bit helps. I'm going to keep buying raffle tickets.

No matter how hard a race is for me, it never fails that I feel like a wimp compared to the effort DB can throw down!

RE WS100, I'd like to get at least one 100 finish under my belt before I even attempt the WS100 lotto, although with my luck at winning raffles/lottos it would take 30 times anyway.

TripleBock

This is why I started to enter last year ~ Non statiscally speaking ... I figure it will take up to 6 years (Could me much longer) to get drawn ~ That is because each year failing to get picked you get more entries.  In theory you could never get picked.

RE WS100, I'd like to get at least one 100 finish under my belt before I even attempt the WS100 lotto, although with my luck at winning raffles/lottos it would take 30 times anyway.

bhearn

I'm thinking about Hardrock for that reason. I don't want to run it next year. But I want to get the ball rolling. At least there, you double your tickets every year.

I'm thinking about Hardrock for that reason. I don't want to run it next year. But I want to get the ball rolling. At least there, you double your tickets every year.

Hardrock.  Are you planning on doing altitude training or just winging it?

TripleBock

I am not sure I ever want to do Hardrock.

I guess step one for me would be to do the Superior 100 (102) mile.  Although not at altitute, a punishing race that will take me 30 hours and be more hiking than running.

Then maybe a race like The Bear before I would consider if I could do Hardrock.  I guess I could give Leadville another try, but it was a circus.

bhearn

Hardrock.  Are you planning on doing altitude training or just winging it?

I'm not planning on it at all, next year. But I will probably still apply. You can cancel with a full refund if you get in. Maybe it's not cool to apply if I won't run it, but they make the rules. With the tickets doubling every year, especially, I think you have to start trying when you can if you ever want to have a chance.

I guess step one for me would be to do the Superior 100 (102) mile.  Although not at altitute, a punishing race that will take me 30 hours and be more hiking than running. 

I don't think Superior is a 30 hour course for you.  Maybe 26 if you are not in top form.  I still think Ice Age is harder to race because you have to run 95-99% of it and there are maybe 2 non-runable hills.  At least in Superior you get a break hiking the tough inclines and I'm not sure there is really a difference between constant technical and random technical unless you know every inch of the trail.

The only reason I'm not thrilled to run Superior trail 100 is because I want to see the entire course.  I would miss a lot in the dark and Superior is too awesome to miss some of those views.

I'm not planning on it at all, next year. But I will probably still apply. You can cancel with a full refund if you get in. Maybe it's not cool to apply if I won't run it, but they make the rules. With the tickets doubling every year, especially, I think you have to start trying when you can if you ever want to have a chance.

My question was more out of curiosity about the why choose altitude training (especially if you are using a tent) vs not.  I was surprised about the controversy over this in my local (midwest) running group.  Over 50% saying it was dangerous to use an altitude tent citing a 1/1000 scenario.  Frankly, my main reservation is simply cost and lifestyle impact.

No matter how hard a race is for me, it never fails that I feel like a wimp compared to the effort DB can throw down!

I'm less than 2 weeks out from my first 100 attempt. I have a WS qualifier from a 50 miler I did earlier this year. I'm tempted to throw my name in for WS even though it scares the crap out of me. With my luck I'll get "lucky" on the first try.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.