Ultra Runners

How do you fit in the really long runs (Read 642 times)

jeffdonahue

So I am really considering my first ultra this Fall (Stone Cat 50M in Ipswich, MA).

I already run 40-50 mpw right now, with a long run usually in the 13-15 range.  But I am wondering how people with busy lives find time to get in 31 mile runs? 

By my estimate I would be looking at 5 hours or so of running to get that in.  I could never get that in before work, so that just leaves the weekends.  Now, on weekends (at least in the Fall and Spring) we have soccer... all day soccer on Saturdays - usually 5 games.  this means I usually have to be done with my run by 7:30-8:00 to get to the first game at 9:00.

On Sundays I have church at 9:00, so again, have to be done by 8-8:30. 

So on Sundays, where I can run a little later, I would have to start by 3:00am, which I dont see happening.

My other option would be to do back to back runs on weekends (3 hours sat, 2-3 on sunday) but would this get me prepared for a 50 miler?  Or maybe get 3 in morning and finish up later if I have tiem (which I usually dont though, that's why I run in the morning)

Just wondering how other people do it - or do you not run a 30 miler.  Just trying to figure out my strategy for training since I will probably try to build a plan starting in the beginning of July (after I hopefully kill my 5K PR).

Thanks in advance

Jeff

I do a lot of stuff at night... sometimes nearly all night.  On days w/ disruptions (ie, kid's soccer, etc), I do doubles... 10-20 in the AM and another 10-20 that night.  Probably not perfect, but better than nothing. 

I try to get at least one full weekend day every other weekend to go really big, ie 8-12 hours.  It takes an understanding spouse and the willingness to skip my kid's soccer that day (if it's Saturday).  My wife usually runs long on Sunday, so we trade off days.

There are ways to make it work... it just takes creative scheduling and the willingness to not sleep.  I have two very young kids, a wife, and work about 45-50 hours a week and still find time to train (pretty successfully) for 100 milers.

Purdey

Self anointed title

I dont' really do any REALLY long ones. I tend to rely on overall volume to get me through. That might be changing in the next few weeks though. In principle, I get up early. My daily routine starts at 0400hrs. That is the only way for me to get the miles in whilst still keeping my job and seeing my family! (But what the great C Gerber said above - any longer runs I do (4hrs plus) will have to be done at night / very early weekend mornings). The answer is: if you have to run really long, then you have to make sacrifices somewhere (unless you are single, unemployed or a student!)

Hi Jeff

Two options

1) Get up very early on a Sunday or Saturday for a 5 or 6.00 am start which gets takes the morning up, or

2) Top and Tail with a 15 mile in the morning and the same in the evening (similar to Chris)

Although my current training regime went out of the window back to backs are another option

It looks like #1 is not an option for you due to church but I am sure you can have a word with the vicar to give you a break towards the end part of your training program or at least do it on a Saturday. I have a buddy who does all his long runs on a Wednesday evening as he works from home the next day and doesn't start until 11.00am, it sounds like his company are very adaptive to his needs though.

Jerry
          A runners blog-updated daily

I am amazed at how other people fit the really long runs in.

SImilar to Purdey, I rely on overall volume to get me through.  (which also takes an understanding wife)

Although I do think the really long run is something my "training" lacks.  I will be trying my first all night run tomorrow night.  A group of us are heading to dinner straight after work, setting up our "Camp site" then plan on hiting the trails by 8:00 PM.  I"m guessing we'll run 10-12 hours but don't really know.

I agree with all that has been said here. Recently I have had this same challenge with regards to running long and still giving my full attention to family and work Smile

The choice I made was similar to Purdey in that I am now focusing on getting up early during the week and doing as much as I can with the time I have. Therefore running before work in the morning (getting off train early or getting up earlier to get the miles in), doubling up during my lunch hour and sometimes I get an opportunity to run in the late afternoon but I dont rely on it.

At weekends it's a semi long run 15-20 miles before breakfast and then a shorter run the next day. I have had to accept I cannot run really long at weekends anymore unless it's a race but to be honest for distances from 50k-50miles a solid marathon training program will see you through ok from a physical point of view. For 50 milers it's a lot about fuelling and hydrating correctly and having the mental attitude to get you through.

Of course if you are looking at 50+ miles then it's a different situation. I say all this but as Jerry has raised it's a matter of personal choice and what works for you. So just get out there and enjoy the trails!

The King of Beasts

I dont have much else in life right now, I do hope to one day.

one thing I like that I think worked well for Umstead was running 3 times in 1 day. 1 very early, 1 at lunch, and 1 as the sun was setting. sort of teaches your body to run all day.  If you can, make one or two quality. might be something to think about.

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I try to fit in miles whenever I can.

I usually top out at 18-20 miles for a training run.

Anything longer I figure I might as well kill two birds with one stone and look for a close, inexpensive marathon or 50k race I can run.I try to take it easy (pace wise) on these and work the hydration / fueling

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn

I try to fit in miles whenever I can.

I usually top out at 18-20 miles for a training run.

Anything longer I figure I might as well kill two birds with one stone and look for a close, inexpensive marathon or 50k race I can run.I try to take it easy (pace wise) on these and work the hydration / fueling

Gumbee, Is this for 50M or do you do this for 100M training also?

Gumbee, Is this for 50M or do you do this for 100M training also?

Actually for all distances.

My #1 goal race for 2011 is TRT (100m)

With that in mind, I penciled in my training, which included the following organized events:

January, 17m FA trail run

February, nothing organized

March, 5k for speed work (set a PR), Pac Rim 24hr (stopped at 8hrs with 42 miles)

April, Lumberjack Endurance run (37.5 miles)

May, Tacoma City Marathon (ran this faster than training run and PR'd)

June, R2R 6/4 (50m)

July, TRT 7/16-17 (100m)

Aug, Where's Waldo 8/20 (100k)

Other than the 5k and TCM, I ran those to date easy with fast recovery in mind so I could continue to train / run

Hope this makes sense?

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn

Actually for all distances.

My #1 goal race for 2011 is TRT (100m)

Awesome, I didn't know this.  See you there.

One really good thing I did was be a mule for my friend who ran 4 marathons in 24 hours and I ran the night section as a double marathon with him. I started at 10.00pm and finshed at a leisurely 9.00am , got home, had a short nap to rid me of the Sleep Monster and got on with the day.

I will do that again as it really got the body to work at an unnatural time.

That was just as an aside but it saved me having to do a back to back that weekend.

Jerry
                          A runners blog-updated daily

I do a lot of stuff at night... sometimes nearly all night.  On days w/ disruptions (ie, kid's soccer, etc), I do doubles... 10-20 in the AM and another 10-20 that night.  Probably not perfect, but better than nothing. 

I try to get at least one full weekend day every other weekend to go really big, ie 8-12 hours.  It takes an understanding spouse and the willingness to skip my kid's soccer that day (if it's Saturday).  My wife usually runs long on Sunday, so we trade off days.

There are ways to make it work... it just takes creative scheduling and the willingness to not sleep.  I have two very young kids, a wife, and work about 45-50 hours a week and still find time to train (pretty successfully) for 100 milers.

I was thinking along the lines of this too and trying to figure out how to squeeze in doubles of those distances.    I work full time, but my kids are a bit older, and only one is involved with soccer right now.  I am figuring that sleep will be the thing I have to give up, but I already don't get to bed much before midnight, and I'm up at 6:30 a.m. for school.  Summer is coming though, so that'll help!

My husband isn't a fan of long distance running, but he keeps saying "if you want to really make time for it, you'll figure it out".  And I will.   Big grin

Getting in the really long runs will be new for me.  Marathons are the longest I've done so far, and those runs I'm trying to run "fast".  It'll be a change to run extra long and keeping the pace extra easy.

Michelle

to rid me of the Sleep Monster

Smile  I'll have to use that one!  

Michelle