Ultra Runners

North Coast 24 - 9/17/2016 (Read 57 times)

Haven't done this race (or any race) since Spring of 2012. Getting back in running shape, and have been doing a lot of walking as well in preparation. I had a blast the first two times despite not hitting my goal. I am very motivated to put up some big miles this year.

Anyone else in here running this?

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I'm in and I know a few others are, too, but I'm not sure they all post in this group. This will be my 4th time. I ran the 12-hour in 2013 as my first ultra, then ran the 24-hour the last two years.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Nice.

I ran in 2011 and Spring 2012. Had a blast each time despite being under prepared. I'm older and hopefully wiser now, and ready to give it a real shot.

Not sure if Cpev still posts here, but I see him on the registration list.

bhearn

I would love to be there, but I'm running Spartathlon again instead, two weeks later.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Normally NC 24 would be my premier event for the year, but this year I've registered for my first trail ultra in the mountains, HURL Elkhorn 50K on August 6th. so that's my primary focus. NC 24 will be more a reunion with lots of friends.

2024 Races:

05/11 - D3 50K

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

With less than 2 weeks to go now, it's time to resurrect this thread and see who else is going either as runner or crew.

2024 Races:

05/11 - D3 50K

bhearn

My eyes will be glued to my web browser, I can tell you that. This is an incomplete list of those who could knock me out of my 24-hour team qualifying spot for 2017 World Championships:

Serge Arbona (many 24-hr WCs)

Ed Ettinghausen

Joshua Finger

John Geesler (many 24-hr WCs)

Josh Irvan

Rich Riopel (2015 team)

Andrew Snope

Adrian Stanciu

Olaf Wasternack

Of those, I am most scared of Finger, Riopel, Snope, Stanciu, and Wasternack. Finger could run 155 with no problem if he would just stop shooting for 160+. Which he will do again here. He may make it. Riopel ran 159 miles at 2015 WCs (with negative splits). He hasn't done much since then, and evidently gained a lot of weight and got out of shape. But I read his blog the other day, and he seems to be seriously getting back into shape. Snope has only run one 24-hour, 137 miles, a couple years ago, but he was conservative there. He's an up-and-comer. Only problem for him here is he trashed himself at Vol State (first screwed runner). I ran with him some at Burning Man last week, smart pacer (which I can say because he's read my Desert Solstice RR ). Stanciu is going to put up a big number sooner or later. And Wasternack ran 140.85 at NC last year, in his first 24 (currently in the 6th and final team qualifying spot, but that won't last). He learned a lot, and is smart, and is a very fast marathoner. I ran with him in Nashville earlier this year. He will make the team sooner or later. Not sure how much he wants it this time. Arbona, Ettinghausen, and Geesler are likely past their performance peaks, but you never know. If Ed would focus just once on a single race, he could put up a big number. (Plus I know he wants his 50+ AR back from me. )

Also Harvey Lewis will be running, currently 2nd on the qualifier list with 157.9 (I'm 4th, with 149.24). I'm rooting for him to win, because the winner of Northcoast is an auto for the team, as long as they run a qualifying distance (140 miles). I'd prefer this auto go to someone who has actually run farther than me. But this is not his fall goal race, so maybe not.

Also I'll be watching Liz Bondar (buzzie), Stacey Costa, Laurie Dymond, Greg Ellis, Jenny Hoffman, Carilyn Johnson, Natalie Larson, Jennifer Lockrem, Roy Pirrung, Melanie Rabb, George Sanders (wcrunner2), Carey Stoneking, and Eileen Torres. The jockeying here for women's team slots will also be exciting. Three slots are potentially up for grabs here, vs. probably four on the men's side (Kostelnick and Lewis seem safe).

Murphy996, if we want to track you, what's your name? Good luck.

Current team qualifier standings are here. This list has been fairly stable for a while (men's hasn't changed since December), but look for it to totally change after NC.

http://www.usatf.org/Sports/MUT/Team-USA/2017-Qualification-Standards.aspx

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

Yep, I'll be there.

Liz

pace sera, sera

chuckstone

I will be there in support of Laurie Dymond, one of bhearn's runners to watch.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I'll be there with a group of former RW refugees as well as looking to reconnect with the 10 or so runners from D3 that should be there.

2024 Races:

05/11 - D3 50K

bhearn

Now looking like thunderstorms, high of 81 on Saturday. Going to be interesting. Also scratch Natalie Larson, DNS.

AT-runner

Tim

I will be there in support of Laurie Dymond, one of bhearn's runners to watch.

Chuck, Laurie is a good friend of mine (I'm from Gettysburg) and we run with her at Sole Challenge 24HR.  Cheer her on to 136+. She's pretty nervous. I just sent her Joe Fejes' Race Prediction article.  Give her a hug from Jess and Tim.

bhearn - hope your distance hold up. Good luck.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

bhearn

Thanks! Also thanks for posting Joe's predictions; I meant to do that as well. Tracey is still working on adding photos etc. to his men's predictions.

bhearn

And here are Joe's predictions for the men.

Some of those I'm not familiar with, but Isaiah Janzen would certainly have made my list above. He must be a late entrant. He was on the 2015 team. And Jean Pommier, at 52, is still really damn fast. He's turned in a 3:18 50k and a 6:08 50M this year. In the past, though, he's struggled to run a solid 24-hour. It will be interesting to see what he can do here. Oh, also he suffered a stroke after that 3:18 earlier this year. But he was quickly cleared to run again, and ran that 6:08 shortly thereafter.

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

Rains cleared out enough to give everybody time to set up. Looks like they'll be back by start time. Whee!

MTA: bathrooms are locked (of course) and the usual array of portajohns is nowhere to be seen. Wee!

Liz

pace sera, sera