Ultra Runners

What's your goal race for 2014? (Read 135 times)

finish a stupid 100.  I only got to mile 75 on the weekend (Mark Twain 100), and clearly I'm still grouchy about it.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I'm delaying any choices until after my first, but I if do try another, I'm thinking about returning to the trails possibly for a 50K.

Had a great time at my first, so I'll be back for more. So far this is my tentative schedule:

1/19 - Clearwater HM

2/15 - Jackpot Ultra Series 12-Hour

5/10 - Ice Age 50K

9/20-21 - NC24 24-Hour (goal 100K) - This is my goal race again.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

So far only one goal for ultras, <7:00 at Ice Age Trail 50M.  So far I have run 8:10, 7:27, and 7:19 last year on the course.  If I get my training right and execute perfectly I think I have a shot.

So already scrapped my plans and it isn't even 2014 yet.  Since I DNF'd my first 100 attempt at Oil Creek I'm going to try again at KM100.  No way am I going to run Ice Age 50M all out 3 weeks before.

Kalsarikännit

Flatfooter, why don't you come out to Rocky Raccoon 100 on Feb 1?

My goal race(s) will depend on the qualifying/lottery gods.  If my two races don't pan out, it may be time to take a few months and work on a marathon. I've never trained to RACE a marathon before. It seems miserable.  I'm interested in giving it a go.  Other than that, I am looking at Joe Fejes' race in Alaska.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

WG, I'd love too but  I'm already signed up to race Disney Marathon Jan 12.  That and I really feel like I need 3-4 months of solid training  to race the 100.  I will gladly take volunteers to pace me at Kettle though.  Big grin

Flatfooter, why don't you come out to Rocky Raccoon 100 on Feb 1?

My goal race(s) will depend on the qualifying/lottery gods.  If my two races don't pan out, it may be time to take a few months and work on a marathon. I've never trained to RACE a marathon before. It seems miserable.  I'm interested in giving it a go.  Other than that, I am looking at Joe Fejes' race in Alaska.

jjameson

I'm thinking of Kettle 100K.  I could pace you for the first 100K, but you'd probably still run faster than me.

Gator eye

At 55yo I'm just happy to keep running and try to stay competitive with you young folks.  Goal race?  Not sure.  I'll be Trail Chief for the Marquette Trail 50 so my (non-running) goal is to make that as good as possible.

This one is on my short list for next summer. Looks like there was a high DNF at last years race, was there a reason for this? \

I am also looking at Ice Age 50 for spring.

I ran Marquette 50 this year.  I would highly recommend it.  It is easy to underestimate the course though.  The elevation chart doesn't do justice to the climbs and it is fairly technical.  I think the high DNF rate was for two reasons - the heat (it got up to 80F and very humid), the 2nd loop ended at 50k and if you were already wiped out from the climbing it was very easy to quit.

MTA- I have a incorrehent and rambling race report in my log if you are interested in losing some brain cells.  Big grin

This one is on my short list for next summer. Looks like there was a high DNF at last years race, was there a reason for this? \

I am also looking at Ice Age 50 for spring.

Joe, you should leave me in your dust if you are doing the 100K.  If I'm keeping up with you it means I went out way too fast.  I'm thinking about Zumbro 50 in April as a training race, the only thing making me second guess that one is it starts at midnight.

I'm thinking of Kettle 100K.  I could pace you for the first 100K, but you'd probably still run faster than me.

I'm thinking about Zumbro 50 in April as a training race, the only thing making me second guess that one is it starts at midnight.

I think that'd be great training!

Gator eye

I ran Marquette 50 this year.  I would highly recommend it.  It is easy to underestimate the course though.  The elevation chart doesn't do justice to the climbs and it is fairly technical.  I think the high DNF rate was for two reasons - the heat (it got up to 80F and very humid), the 2nd loop ended at 50k and if you were already wiped out from the climbing it was very easy to quit.

MTA- I have a incorrehent and rambling race report in my log if you are interested in losing some brain cells.  Big grin

Sounds like a tough coarse for a flat lander like myself with no real rock climbing experience.

You don't really need rock climbing experience, it's not that technical but besides Superior trail there is really nothing that compares to the steepness in the Midwest (that I know of anyway).  If I had to train for it, I would find the steepest slope I could and just hike up and down it for 30-60 minutes.

Sounds like a tough coarse for a flat lander like myself with no real rock climbing experience.

pcaharrier

I somehow got it in my head to attempt my first ultra next year (assuming my first marathon in less than two weeks goes well!).  A few of the races I'm looking into (maybe) doing:

Promise Land 50k++ (Virginia; April)

Bull Run Run 50-mile (Virginia; April 12, 2014)

Iron Mountain Trail Run (30 or 50 mi.; Virginia; August?)

JFK 50 mile (Maryland; October)

Mountain Masochist Trail Run (50 mi.; Virginia; November)

Table Rock Ultras (50 mi. or 50k; North Carolina; December)

Seashore Nature Trail 50K (Virginia; December)

The Promise Land 50k, I think, seems to be the best bet for a first-timer in my area.  The course doesn't look to be crazy-difficult (although anything in the mountains isn't going to present a training challenge to someone who might have to use the nearest interstate overpass to do any hill training) and it's not in the dead of winter.  I suppose it helps that this is one of David Horton's races so I know it is well-organized.  After that, the Seashore Nature Trail 50K is the most conveniently-located for me, the course is comparatively easy, and I'd be able to get at least some training runs done on the course itself.

Does anyone happen to have any experience with any of these?

bhearn

It's in my sig. Yes, I am already in for Western States, for the second time in three years. You may hate me.

2:55 at Napa is looking less and less likely. Ideally I'd be back to 60ish mpw in a couple weeks to start training, and build from there. I'll be lucky if it's 15mpw.

bhearn

I've never trained to RACE a marathon before. It seems miserable.  

It is hard work. But it will improve you a an ultrarunner. Anyway, you're getting into Western States.