Ultra Runners

First Ultra (Read 287 times)

Hello everyone, even though I've been a memeber for a while, I dont post often, if ever, but I thought I would share my first ultra. I ran the Derby 50K in Derby, NC, which is about 20 minutes north of Rockingham, or in the middle of nowhere. Smile This was a pretty low key race with few frills and extras, but since they advertise this on the website, it was expected. The race was run on mostly asphalt country roads with light traffic and had some "rolling hills" that were fairly long but not too steep. Race temp was around 43 degrees, which wasnt too bad, except for the light rain that fell for much of the race. I dressed well though so even for someone not used to the cold, I was comfortable throughout most of the race. They had three aid stations per loop (which were a little over 10 miles long) stocked with the usual fair (gatorade, water, soft drinks, cookies, chips, etc.) although no gel packs or powerbars. Again, this was advertised and prepared for, so not a problem. The first loop split was around 2:10, the second around 2:15 and the third was around 2:35, which put me right at the 7 hour mark (6:59:55) for 31.6 miles. I had a great race, the volunteers were very friendly and helpful and I met 3 other first timers out on the course and ran with them for most of the way. Overall, I had a great experience, met some great people and got hooked on ultras all in one day. The link for the website is below. http://www.etinternet.net/~runrbike/derbyinfo.htm
      Firstly, congratulations Chris, it sounds a great day and thanks for the race report. I bet you feel great to beat that 7 hour mark by 5 seconds Big grin I will be running my first Ultramarathon on Sunday 7th December here in wintery England. Mine will a 30 mile trail race in the south of England and will have a accrued height gain of 2732 feet, one area that sounds great is a marsh section which will be slightly different to the USA definition but it is flood plain marsh on chalk geology....so it will be wet and the organisers have asked to tread carefully...knowing the organisers that will be an understatement...can't wait. We have a cut off of 7 hours but I hope to do it in 5 hours, we'll see. Back to your great achievement, it sounds great that it wasa low key event, I much prefer those types, I like the "I'm here to run and compete against you and myself, let's get on with it" It sounds like they had more than enough aid stations, we will have just 5, one every 5 miles which will have water, biscuits (cookies) and a banana, the rest of the stuff we have to carry. Any blisters, aches, pains or photos?

Jerry
      A runners blog-updated daily

Congratulations, Chris. And welcome to the world of ultra running. It's a blast, even when it's hard. So, um . . . . what's next??? Big grin

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Carl A

Congratulations, Chris, and Jerry too!

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

Thanks buddy Big grin I have a race report here in UK Ultra Runners

Jerry

Way to go, UltraJerry! (I couldn't comment on that forum.)

Leslie
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Course you can join Big grin Any one is welcome, it was just so that we could have "UK-centric" chats as we tend to meet up as the country is somewhat smaller

Jerry

Maybe if I join, I'll end up over there some day for a run. Hmmmmm . . . oh, hubby, regarding vacation next year . . . . Smile

Leslie
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Purdey

Self anointed title

Maybe if I join, I'll end up over there some day for a run. Hmmmmm . . . oh, hubby, regarding vacation next year . . . . Smile
                    Great idea Leslie... try to convince DH to coincide your holiday with a UK ultra!